What's new

Fasan Slants

Hi,

This might not be the proper time for you....but....I pull a significantly faster stroke with my Fasan than anything else. That makes it work better than any other aspect.

Stan

Hi,

This might not be the proper time for you....but....I pull a significantly faster stroke with my Fasan than anything else. That makes it work better than any other aspect.

Stan

Thanks... there's no end to the Fasan is there?

So this Red Dot Set has arrived in Devon today:
B0BE2631-7F80-4C9D-B94E-2A9A558206C7.jpeg
7FD9E817-8B15-47DD-B519-47C639160286.jpeg
E862A6C9-461E-449B-8A1E-B712CEF77B53.jpeg

It really is a handsome thing!
I am so excited to shave with it - use the Red Dot side first right?

So this Red Dot Set has arrived in Devon today
I've got the plastic top cap version of the Fasan Doppelschrage (double-slant). It shaves unlike any other razor I own. Because of the extreme blade twist, the cutting edge is not straight - it's bowed and frowns down. Very narrow usable angle; if you're off, it's either super harsh or a squeegee. When you get it right it's magic. You kind of have to "roll" as you navigate the curves of your face . . . hard to explain.

Hi,

So true. I find that thinking about the blade edge as it moves across my face is a big help with any razor. This, as opposed to thinking about the angle of the handle.

Use the non Red Dot side first, then the Red Dot side, is what is in the original instructions. I use the NRD side WTG, then the RD side ATG myself. This is when I can detect that the RD side is a tad more aggressive than the NRD side.

To elaborate: If I run ATG with the NRD side until it quits cutting, then flip over to the RD side and pass over the same area, it cuts just a tad bit more.

Other who use these don't notice a difference between the sides. So, it is yet another thing that varies. ;)

Enjoy! :)

Stan

I've got the plastic top cap version of the Fasan Doppelschrage (double-slant). It shaves unlike any other razor I own. Because of the extreme blade twist, the cutting edge is not straight - it's bowed and frowns down. Very narrow usable angle; if you're off, it's either super harsh or a squeegee. When you get it right it's magic. You kind of have to "roll" as you navigate the curves of your face . . . hard to explain.

Hi,

So true. I find that thinking about the blade edge as it moves across my face is a big help with any razor. This, as opposed to thinking about the angle of the handle.

Use the non Red Dot side first, then the Red Dot side, is what is in the original instructions. I use the NRD side WTG, then the RD side ATG myself. This is when I can detect that the RD side is a tad more aggressive than the NRD side.

To elaborate: If I run ATG with the NRD side until it quits cutting, then flip over to the RD side and pass over the same area, it cuts just a tad bit more.

Other who use these don't notice a difference between the sides. So, it is yet another thing that varies. ;)

Enjoy! :)

Stan
Sounds like there’s a lot of depth to this razor which is appropriate for something so mysterious and beautiful!

Use the non Red Dot side first, then the Red Dot side, is what is in the original instructions.
@Quaternion translated the instructions here:
Fasan Slants
And it appears to say to use the Red Dot side FIRST.
I’m confused now.

To be honest I tend to use both sides indiscriminately on these differential razors like the Souplex Double Six and the Neillite.
Does it make more sense to start aggressive and finish gentle or start gentle and finish aggressive??
I know this is a perennial debate.

It does work for me to use the aggressive side WTG then the milder side ATG but I always end up shaving with the aggressive side at the end.

I suppose it’s good to have options...

Hi,

Sorry. You are correct. I just re-read their instructions. They say to use the Red Dot side first. I do it backwards. For me, milder WTG then more aggressive ATG works better.

They also say to use the numbers on the blade to flip it using the Red Dot as the index. 1, then 2, then 3, then 4. After shave four, change the blade. I don't do that, either. I just leave the blade in for 15 or 16 days. I learned during One Blade February that the Fasan is good for 20-some days on a blade. So, I use two blades per month these days. ;)

Sorry again for my confusion.

Stan

Hi,

Sorry. You are correct. I just re-read their instructions. They say to use the Red Dot side first. I do it backwards. For me, milder WTG then more aggressive ATG works better.

They also say to use the numbers on the blade to flip it using the Red Dot as the index. 1, then 2, then 3, then 4. After shave four, change the blade. I don't do that, either. I just leave the blade in for 15 or 16 days. I learned during One Blade February that the Fasan is good for 20-some days on a blade. So, I use two blades per month these days. ;)

Sorry again for my confusion.

Stan
Thanks again Stan! I find the whole differential aggression thing VERY confusing.

And that’s amazing about the blade life - I’m going to put a Personna 74 in my Red Dot so perhaps it will go forever!

Hi,

Yeah, some like Aggressive to Mild, some like Mild to Aggressive, some like 2-passes, some like 3, so....there we are. I won't even go into how my Grandfather's Old Type is more aggressive yet and my three pass shaves with the Fasan WTG and XTG then the OT ATG....

I got 45 days of 2-pass shaves out of a 74 during two One-Blade February challenges in my Fasan.

What it was, someone said 'a free 74 for a $10 donation to the NBCF'. I thought that was grand, so I did. Well, after the required 28 days, plus two more to even it up, I wrapped the blade back up and revisited the run the next Feb. :)

It was hard to tell when it was giving up, and I actually went past the 45 day point. But, got to thinking about just when I first noticed the falloff, and so backdated the 'end'. ;)

Now, if there is *anything* that is YMMV around here, it is the blade life of a 74! So, Have Fun with that one! :p

Stan

Hi,

Yeah, some like Aggressive to Mild, some like Mild to Aggressive, some like 2-passes, some like 3, so....there we are. I won't even go into how my Grandfather's Old Type is more aggressive yet and my three pass shaves with the Fasan WTG and XTG then the OT ATG....

I got 45 days of 2-pass shaves out of a 74 during two One-Blade February challenges in my Fasan.

What it was, someone said 'a free 74 for a $10 donation to the NBCF'. I thought that was grand, so I did. Well, after the required 28 days, plus two more to even it up, I wrapped the blade back up and revisited the run the next Feb. :)

It was hard to tell when it was giving up, and I actually went past the 45 day point. But, got to thinking about just when I first noticed the falloff, and so backdated the 'end'. ;)

Now, if there is *anything* that is YMMV around here, it is the blade life of a 74! So, Have Fun with that one! :p

Stan
Awesome!
And here it is:
B9396001-62C6-4CA4-9D78-A740D12E707B.jpeg

I went Red Dot WTG, Red Dot XTG, non-Red Dot ATG.

To be honest the third pass was almost redundant but the non-RedDot side did an amazing job of ATG shaving under the chin.

Obviously the P74 is an incredible blade but this Fasan is also clearly an incredible razor!
In spite of everything you guys have written about it I wasn’t really prepared for the combination of smoothness, kindness and efficiency.
Astonishing!

Top Bottom