What's new

Fasan Slants, including the rarely seen one

I have a fondness for a number of non-Gillette De razor sets, including the German Fasan razor. I've posted a few images of some of my sets and here's a gathering of the collection from late last year. I have a few recent additions to my Fasan family, including an interesting trade advertisement/flyer from Fasan's 1939 marketing efforts.
proxy.php

You can see the pheasant logo, which is the English translation of the word "fasan."
proxy.php

Although I haven't translated the side with the blades, here's the translation of the razor side:
"You might also try the self-enclosed stainless steel Fasan razor blade. From my personal and practical experience I'm sure you'll find these to be blades you can recommend to your clients."
Then, the remarkable closing, as though this is a letter to the customers:
"Yours sincerely and
Heil Hitler!"
Vienna, December 1939

No doubt a patriotic manufacturer, just like all the other German companies as WWII was beginning.

Now the collection...
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Finally added the all-metal Fasan slant to the family.
proxy.php

You can see that they only made slant designed razors.
proxy.php

proxy.php

The face off...
proxy.php

proxy.php

Admiring himself in the Fasan Traveler Set's mirror.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just checking to be certain the embossed bottom is correct. And it is. And what a great shaver, makes the modern version of this design a poor imitation. But flattered nonetheless.

Amazing. The hits keep on coming! I sometimes think "Ok this is it. I wont be jealous this time". Lol.....
Thanks for sharing. Excellent photos & razors as usual! Bravo.

Amazing pictures! I translated the part that can be seen directly above the DE blades. It seems that it is not an advertisement directly from Fasan, but from a Vienna-based steelware wholesale company.
An additional picture of the Fasan razor products overview would be nice! On the German forums I have only seen such overviews from Merkur, but never Fasan.

My translation:

"Special offer
True to my principle: To keep my loyal customers by offering good and recognised quality products and, as a Vienna-based company, to offer my local (Austrian) customers a wider range of goods – I added the complete range of Fasan-products to my sales programme. I am offering the blades and razors for the lowest original factory prices."

German:

"Sonderangebot
Getreu meinem Grundsatz: Mit guten und anerkannten Qualitätswaren meine Kunden als treue Abnehmer zu erhalten und als ansässige Wiener Firma meinen ostmärkischen Abnehmern einen erweiterten Einkauf zu ermöglichen, habe ich die gesamten Fasan-Erzeugnisse in mein Verkaufsprogramm aufgenommen. Sämtliche Klingen und Apparate liefere ich zu den billigsten Original-Fabrikspreisen."

Last edited:
As soon as I saw the title and the OP, I just knew what you added... just knew it.. and it's a beauty!!! Congratulations on a really tuff find and in that quality... I will admire it from afar...sigh!!
PS..
I was looking at it on my phone while my wife was driving us somewhere.. and I couldn't see the mirror.. I was like, My GOD!! He's got 2 of them!! My wife having no idea what I was talking about..lol

Last edited:
Hi,

I shave every day using one of the all plastic doppleschrags. I love the differential aggressiveness coupled with the open comb. I can easily achieve DFS by using the red dot side WTG followed by the plain side ATG with only one face lathering. Sweet! :)

Perhaps we need to form a Fasan Lovers Club?

Stan

Glad to see your sets. I know I'm not the only Fasan-lover. And it's great to find these 60+ year old sets still in such excellent shape. Thanks for sharing photos of yours.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice pics gents, those are incredible! Interesting to see the paper from Vienna printed during Anschluß.

Love those Fasan slants. Gorgeous. I just happened to have picked one up, a red dot bakelite in a nice case, at the Vienna flea market this weekend.
$FasanSet.JPG$SlantFasan.jpg
Have shaved with it twice... great shave. I'm mostly a straight and SE razor guy, so nothing scares me, but it took a while to get the angle right. So, I only chewed up my face a little, and I predict that won't happen again. Great shave. Beautiful razor.

Top Bottom