What's new

FarmerTan Member Interview

Yes, as unbelievable as it seems, I was an RN (Real Nurse) and actually wasn't bad at it.

But remember what our instructors always reminded us: the National Board Test wasn't for a grade, it was to be certain, that with sufficient oversight, we were less likely to kill someone than to keep them alive.

True story doggone.
Thank you for sharing.

Good day.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Your current avatar is far from a Disney Princess, but it's hard to make out who it is with the snow on top of the head. Is that Saint Maxillian Kolbe?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Your current avatar is far from a Disney Princess, but it's hard to make out who it is with the snow on top of the head. Is that Saint Maxillian Kolbe?
That is from a paperback copy of a Robt. Heinlein book. I think it's "Waldo and Magic, Inc." two short stories put together in one book. Probably both originally published in serial form in magazines.

Both were good reads as I recall!

05. Do you have any hobbies or pastimes?

Autobiographies...and Robert Heinlein and Mark Twain. Both Missouri boys, I often think I was born in the wrong time and place.
Halley's comet dropped Mark Twain on Earth during its 1835 visit. Its next apparition in 1910 would take him away again.

FarmerTan

Halley's comet dropped Mark Twain on Earth during its 1835 visit. Its next apparition in 1910 would take him away again.
And it's next visit was a flop, as I recall...

I doubt I'll be around for the next one!

FarmerTan

Just getting caught up reading these great interviews.
This was one of the more comical ones.
Thanks Dave for providing us with more of your humor!
And there I was, trying to be mostly serious.

Honestly, I don't recall what I wrote...

Which begs the question: can someone with early dementia possibly fail a lie detector test?

FarmerTan

If he knows he has dementia ... can he possibly pass?
Interesting question... I KNOW I have slipped a bit.... Short term memory is really bad now, but never was great .... I really DO have a leaking brane, diagnosed at 50ish, not symptomatic at the time, but not something that should happen until 65ish, so I wasn't real pleased with the diagnosis... I'm on a very specific blood thinner that I can't go off of, ever: Coumadin. Been on that for 15+ years.....

Which is a blessing, as it's made me TRY not to have my last werds be something "jerkish".... so I do bite my tongue more.

Lol, having a kill switch in my head makes me live more funnly, to be honest.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Interesting question... I KNOW I have slipped a bit.... Short term memory is really bad now, but never was great ....
As I understand it ... thin ice alert here, but still ... the lie detector doesn't actually detect lies per se, but detects the awareness of not having told the complete truth ... detects the nervousness of someone who realises that his answer is not fully accurate.

So, someone who knows he has dementia, and while trying his best to answer honestly, would still be beset with the gnawing doubt that he had forgotten the "other details" that would render his answer ... intended to be honest and accurate ... inaccurate and technically deceitful.

Blissful ignorance is the best defence to the Lie Detector.

FarmerTan

As I understand it ... thin ice alert here, but still ... the lie detector doesn't actually detect lies per se, but detects the awareness of not having told the complete truth ... detects the nervousness of someone who realises that his answer is not fully accurate.

So, someone who knows he has dementia, and while trying his best to answer honestly, would still be beset with the gnawing doubt that he had forgotten the "other details" that would render his answer ... intended to be honest and accurate ... inaccurate and technically deceitful.

Blissful ignorance is the best defence to the Lie Detector.
My being amoral, or slightly sociopathic would probably help more then... Or being a compulsive liar couldn't hurt?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Anyone who likes Heinlein and Arko can't be all bad... But when it comes to the stew that is B&B, Mr Tan is one of the key spices. Keep on keepin' on, Brother Dave.

AA

FarmerTan

🤔 Anyone who likes Heinlein and Arko can't be all bad... But when it comes to the stew that is B&B, Mr Tan is one of the key spices. Keep on keepin' on, Brother Dave.

AA
I SO BADLY want to comment on that "key spices" phrase that you used, but I would NEVER purposefully ruin the ending of a certain book..... Do you know what I'm referring to, friend @Ad Astra ?

Did you ever wish you could write like RAH? In my opinion, a once in a lifetime writer, up there with Steinbeck, Twain, maybe oh.... brane leak kicked in....he wrote Carrie, he was hit by a car walking in Maine I believe. But some of his stuff was just too.....clunky, almost like his dog would have done him a favor by eating it.

Don't ever get brane leaks! You'll be amazed at what you won't remember.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I SO BADLY want to comment on that "key spices" phrase that you used, but I would NEVER purposefully ruin the ending of a certain book..... Do you know what I'm referring to, friend @Ad Astra ?

Did you ever wish you could write like RAH? In my opinion, a once in a lifetime writer, up there with Steinbeck, Twain, maybe oh.... brane leak kicked in....he wrote Carrie, he was hit by a car walking in Maine I believe. But some of his stuff was just too.....clunky, almost like his dog would have done him a favor by eating it.

Don't ever get brane leaks! You'll be amazed at what you won't remember.
🤔 Steven King. No, RAH was a way better writer... IMO.

I have not read everything that Heinlein wrote, though.

Need to reread Rocketship Galileo. Nazis on the moon, defeated by.... Well, not going to give it away! 🤣

Or Have Spacesuit, Will Travel.

Or The Cat That Walked Through Walls.

AA

Top Bottom