What's new

Farmer's Market

We are really lucky to have several good farmers markets in the area. You can find one (or more) on any day from Thursday through Sunday within a 20 minute drive. And because we are in California, there is a lot of emphasis placed on grass fed and free range meat, and organic vegetables.

Can't beat a juicy, just-picked-from-the-plant, sun warmed tomato, we're lucky enough, and put down enough backyard tomatoes to do us for the winter months, don't bother with fresh, out of season tomatoes at all. Add our home grown and it's a taste of summer all winter long.

Last night, from one of the growers at the market down the street, had my first Honey Crisp apple from the 'Crop of 2015'... an amazing crisp, juicy explosion of flavours that just kept coming and coming. The last bite was as flavourful as the first, quite dissappointing to finish it but a taste of what's to come now for many months!
dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, I forgot to mention since the title of the thread was Farmer's Market...the one we have in town with local produce being sold does kinda suck as I mentioned before, but there are about 3 Produce Stands that are owned by a Mexican family that has great stuff! I don't know where they obtain it though, I'll have to ask next time. That's usually where we get most of our starter plants for our vegetable garden in the spring. Since our garden didn't turn out this year now is a good time to go see what they have.

We have a lot of farmers markets out here and they go year-round. I'm fortunate to be able to walk to one from my house that goes on every Saturday, but it is the worst one in the city. It used to take up a long block when it first started, and now it takes up 1/3 of that. There's only a couple of actual fruit and vegetable sellers there, and the rest is either clothing or food stalls. Part of the problem is that there's a much more popular farmers market going on in the city core at the same time about 1.5 miles away.

Having said that, the farmers caught on to the popular markets and bumped their prices up. It's cheaper to head to our local organic food co-op and pick up fruits and vegetables, and the co-op lists where they are sourced.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
image.jpeg
This mornings hall from the farmers market. Not pictured were eggs and garlic.

Nice haul Aaron!

Thursdays tour of the market revealed a couple new apple varieties to me at that the newest apple grower to join the market. 'Salish' and 'Red Prince', checked them out on the net when i got home. Today was back at the market and picked up a box of the Salish which the grower said she likes better then Honey Crisp the apple i put almost at the pinnacle of my apple pyramid. Will try one later tonight.

Salish Apple

Red Prince

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice haul Aaron!

Thursdays tour of the market revealed a couple new apple varieties to me at that the newest apple grower to join the market. 'Salish' and 'Red Prince', checked them out on the net when i got home. Today was back at the market and picked up a box of the Salish which the grower said she likes better then Honey Crisp the apple i put almost at the pinnacle of my apple pyramid. Will try one later tonight.

Salish Apple

Red Prince

dave

Thanks Dave. The market had lots of perfectly sized okra and small butternut squashes. I pickle the okra with a few jalapeños.

I love apples. Lately I've cut way back on the fruit but I always have berries and apples in the house.

Do you have a farmers market where you live? I have one just a couple of miles from my house. Everything from Tie-dyed t-shirts to grass fed beef. The best part to me is the vegetables. There are some really great varieties found at the FM and not at your regular grocer. This weekend I saw purple bell peppers. Check out your area and support the local farmers. If you don't have one, I bet there is a farm that you could drive to, and is setup to allow you to pick your own.

Here's my haul for the weekend (even some pasture raised hogs for spare ribs):

View attachment 602264
Which FM do you go to? There's one in Marble Falls, but AFAIK only during the summer months.

Top Bottom