What's new

Farmer's Market

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Do you have a farmers market where you live? I have one just a couple of miles from my house. Everything from Tie-dyed t-shirts to grass fed beef. The best part to me is the vegetables. There are some really great varieties found at the FM and not at your regular grocer. This weekend I saw purple bell peppers. Check out your area and support the local farmers. If you don't have one, I bet there is a farm that you could drive to, and is setup to allow you to pick your own.

Here's my haul for the weekend (even some pasture raised hogs for spare ribs):

$IMG_1362.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
We have a few markets here.
There is nothing like fresh local grown veggies. No insipid Chinese garlic in sight there.
The supermarkets do supply a lot of variety but don't support the little guy.

Next best for me is when I go out of town. There are fruit and veggie farmers about an hours drive from me.
There are a few pick your own places. Apples, strawberries to name a few. eg http://www.localist.co.nz/l/doyben

We have one through the summer. The problem is that most of the "Farmers" are simply resellers who head down to the main "food terminal" nearby that supplies groceries to all the chains. Very few LOCAL farmers on hand.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That looks like some good stuff, Aaron.

We have one here, but I've never been too impressed with it. Dad and I went to it once a little while after I moved down here and he wasn't very impressed with this one either. But, Dad was raised on a farm in N.E. Oklahoma on some good land, and after he moved just outside of the Tulsa area he would go south a bit to some markets where the produce was raised on river bottom land. I may go by the local one here next weekend to see if things have improved, but due to the soil around here I doubt it. Although I do grow some great stuff in my garden, but I'm on sandy loam and most of the county is blackland.

And yeah, I'm "fairly" close to the river.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We have one through the summer. The problem is that most of the "Farmers" are simply resellers who head down to the main "food terminal" nearby that supplies groceries to all the chains. Very few LOCAL farmers on hand.

We have the same problem with many of the markets around here. How does one grow winter cabbage all Summer long in Southeast Texas? That's why it's important to talk to some of the "farmers" and find out where the products are coming from. There are real producers out there.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That looks like some good stuff, Aaron.

We have one here, but I've never been too impressed with it. Dad and I went to it once a little while after I moved down here and he wasn't very impressed with this one either. But, Dad was raised on a farm in N.E. Oklahoma on some good land, and after he moved just outside of the Tulsa area he would go south a bit to some markets where the produce was raised on river bottom land. I may go by the local one here next weekend to see if things have improved, but due to the soil around here I doubt it. Although I do grow some great stuff in my garden, but I'm on sandy loam and most of the county is blackland.

And yeah, I'm "fairly" close to the river.

Have you amended the soil for your garden?

We have a few nearby. High points for me are the sheer variety of apples come fall, and real vine ripened tomatoes in the summer.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Have you amended the soil for your garden?

Not really, it's more of a loam with some reddish clay a few inches down. Not a whole lot of sand but that's what I call it. :001_smile

It doesn't seem to matter if we fertilize or adjust the PH on it, it still grows good stuff on whatever we plant just by itself...if it doesn't drown from a flood.

But then, there are usually some "automatic fertilizers" in there during the off season that we till in their "contribution". Never had a problem with veggies burning up from too much acid.

Some of the corn fields I've seen south of here look good but seem to burn up earlier than mine does. Cotton does good there though. It's mostly pasture land around here from the wooded areas have been cleared, but there are still plenty of heavily wooded areas in this section.

This is a good reminder...I need to get the garden area tilled up before too long.

Last edited:
We have a few, but I am truly captivated by the copious amount of fresh locally grown apples and sweet corn available this time of year at orchards and farm stands. Quite a nice selection of wines in The Finger Lakes this time of year. The Mennonites have an excellent variety of produce also. Pumpkins everywhere.

I have one i go to now, twice weekly, year 'round mix of farmers and resellers, our main source for fruits and vegetables (when the backyard's done), meats, fish and cheeses, eggs etc.. Also visit another two actual farmers markets weekly, one a short walk away and May-Nov. the other further away and incorporated into a trip to my main source.

Terrific one in St Jacobs Ontario but that's a special trip to go visit. I've always loved shopping for food, grocery stores, markets, ethnic grocers, fun times.

http://www.stjacobs.com/about-st-jacobs-country

dave

We have a really good one in the town where I live that runs from early June-Late October on Saturday mornings. They shut down 3 blocks of the downtown streets for vendors to set up. I really enjoy taking a cup of coffee and strolling around on Sat. morning, and make a point of doing so whenever possible. I would say that 90% of the offerings are locally produced and the variety is excellent including meat, cheese, artisan bakery, soup, etc. This time of year is really the sweet spot because the variety of vegetables is at its peak. This week I got a stalk of brussel sprouts, yellow carrots, a huge kohlrabi, some wax beans, a few pickles, a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread, and a big bag of kettle corn to take to my sons football game later in the day.

Last edited:
My girlfriend and I go to our local farmers market regularly; it's a 2 mile bike ride from our house. We get a lot of meat and produce there. Great stuff.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The only place I will buy tomatoes. Grocery store tomatoes (well, all grocery store produce, for that matter) have no taste.

We have a very good one that is held on Saturday. Fruits, vegetables, meats, plus crafts and knick-knacks. Unfortunately, they kicked out the best farmer for not being "local" enough, even though he's only 45 minutes to an hour away. A real shame.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We have a very good one that is held on Saturday. Fruits, vegetables, meats, plus crafts and knick-knacks. Unfortunately, they kicked out the best farmer for not being "local" enough, even though he's only 45 minutes to an hour away. A real shame.

Really? .....id like to see the farmers market contract.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Stopped in to pick up some fruit and veggies on my travels today. There are heaps of these little veggie farmers with a shop on the side of the road.
This one also does the pick your own, not the sort of weather for that today but may have to check them out when the pick your own Chillies is on.
The stuff is fresher and cheaper than in the city.

They even had hot sauce made from what they grow.

$20150923_114915.jpg

$20150923_163158.jpg

We have many here in the land of milk and honey. So many in fact that different locations have developed specializations. I agree with what was said earlier about vegetables and tomatoes. Nothing like the ones from a farmer's market.

Speaking of tomatoes - what is everyone's view on their refrigeration? I prefer not to refrigerate mine because I've managed to convince myself that they taste better, but in the heat of the summer, they do last longer in the reefer.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I would say that room temp tomatoes do taste best. It is no different to cheese, red wine etc. The colder it is the less you can taste.
Some things can taste better well chilled but I think tomatoes are not one of them.
IMO storage in the fridge is OK if spoilage is an issue but ensure it is a room temp before eating for maximum flavour........ YMMV
Maybe always keep a few out, with the bulk kept chilled.

Top Bottom