What's new

Farmer Tan's Foray Into SR Shaving

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thinking that it is better for @FarmerTan to have a new thread in which to espouse his adventure into the gentlemanly art, I have taken the liberty to start this thread for him.

FarmerTan said:
I did use it, once, cheeks, chin, under nose.....but VERY carefully.

I used Tabac, I believe, but honestly can't recall. WAY too dry. But no nicks. Will be using it again tomorrow, if all goes as planned!

Wow. I really DO leave out huge chunks of information, as the lovely War Department says!

My face lathering was what was the cause of the dryness. I should have been dipping my brush in MUCH more water, MANY more times than I did. My lather was too dry a comfortable DE shave. I'm looking forward to trying it again.

Then I got to get skooled in stropping, storage of the blade with the right kind of oil.... I want to give this an honest shot, but I am pretty sure I don't have the "stones" to start buying stones and stuff. Probably going to do some research and do sheets of whatever that stuff is.

Yes, I am VERY MUCH a newb at all this. When I shaved folks necks after a haircut it was a Weck with a disposable blade! It got changed when the customer said it pulled hair doggone!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Lather for an SR shave is normally required to be noticeably wetter than that required for DE shaving. I also found that my normal shaving soap was not as well suited to SR shaving. Experiment with different lather hydrations and try some of the soaps that are more preferred by SR shavers (like Arko or Proraso).

Lapping film and diamond pasted balsa stropping should keep your cost of blade maintenance well within reason.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thank you very much friend @rbscebu !

My first use of a "real" straight razor was my Great Grandpa's that was recently set right by @Herrenberg .... It was about a week or so ago.

It was nothing to write home about, other than the fact that I DID NOT CUT my self in any manner, and was not terrified. I actually enjoyed it. BUT: I only used my dominant hand, my right. I only shaved above my neck: I got most of the area below my lips, my cheeks, and most of my chin.

My Tabac was not nearly moist enough, not even for a mild DE razor. It truly is nothing short of amazing that I did not cut myself.

Any and all werds of encouragement and advice are MORE than welcome my friends.

Sincerely, Dave, the Tanned Farmer

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Many recommend that you teach you non-dominant hand to SR shave as well as your dominant hand. I have not taken that recommendation (yet, with about 500 SR shaves under my belt) and get great shave just using my dominant hand. Don't sweat it, just do what you feel comfortable with.

Farmer Tan I used my dominant hand for 20 years and it made zero difference to the shaves. Tabac is an awesome shave soap that I only discovered a few months ago. You should be able to get great shaves even if using your dominant hand and Tabac. Just remeber it takes time to master and the first shaves won't be as good as a DE or cart. Don't give up, it is a highly enjoyable journey.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Farmer Tan I used my dominant hand for 20 years and it made zero difference to the shaves. Tabac is an awesome shave soap that I only discovered a few months ago. You should be able to get great shaves even if using your dominant hand and Tabac. Just remeber it takes time to master and the first shaves won't be as good as a DE or cart. Don't give up, it is a highly enjoyable journey.
Thank you sir.

Nice thread. I have to admit I would not even think about NOT using my non-dominant hand when I shave. Straight razor or any other type of razor really. It never even occurred to me that I should not be using my off hand.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone one-hands the job. I've seen videos of it happening, and I still don't know. Why would you not want to make that laggard limb earn its keep? It works great, really. OK, with some training, but still.

Many recommend that you teach you non-dominant hand to SR shave as well as your dominant hand. I have not taken that recommendation (yet, with about 500 SR shaves under my belt) and get great shave just using my dominant hand. Don't sweat it, just do what you feel comfortable with.
I'm with you regarding teaching the non-dominant hand to shave. Perhaps if I was forced to do so, but I don't see the benefit otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I switch hands during my first pass, left for left, right for right, but once I start AGT it's dominant hand to the finish line.
You're braver than I. I would rather be deployed again than trust my left hand with a straight razor - grin.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom