What's new

Farmer Tan's Foray Into SR Shaving

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

FarmerTan

@FarmerTan, I was just reading some old posts from a few years ago when you were but a lad. I noticed that then you had an exceedingly handsome face. Now I read that you only have an incredibly handsome face.

What do you attribute your facial deterioration to? Is it the years of not shaving with a straight razor?
Wow. I will have to consider that possiblity. I have noticed lately that I appear to be reversing the aging process, at least on my face!

I must return to a straight razor soon, before I lose what little muscle memory I may have obtained in my limited experience with it....

FarmerTan

Well, I did this yesterday afternoon: IMG_20210826_185117713.jpg
It's too dull, even with my newbie technique.
I only got two tiny weepers, just below my "exceedingly" handsome aquiline nose...
The shave was mostly DFS, so I used an Old Type Gillette loaded with a Kai to pick up the strays that were missed.

I learned two things: The amount of moisture in Arko soap is MUCH more critical in using a straight than in using a DE razor, and that I'm going to have to try and slip past the War Department some stuff for putting an acceptable edge on my first two straights!

I really enjoyed this shave yesterday, and I need to stay at it. LOL! I suppose that is three lessons learned?

FarmerTan

I have a lovely strap, gifted me by @RumpleBearskin . That's it, but that's probably all I should use for now! LOL! I used that razor found in my in law's attic that had been up there at LEAST 25 years on the canvas side of the strop for probably not nearly enough, or way too MANY pulls... I'm just knowledgeable enough at the art of blades to be dangerous. But even I can tell this blade needs attention beyond my abilities.

FarmerTan

That’s for keeping the edge sharp between sharpenings (and so the edge feels smooth as it cuts, too).

I didn’t know if you had access to 2,500 grit wet-dry auto body paper or a buddy who worked at a quarry in Belgium or Japan or anything.
I have LITERALLY friends ALL OVER the world, of multiple talents. I have a younger friend that I need to introduce to wet shaving. He's a freak of nature: both an artist that turned down a Kollege Skolarship, and a mechanical engineer that MAKES parts for his ancient tractors. Honestly, I believe he could sit down with both Michaelangelo and Da Vinci and educate them. I'm serious when I say he could learn to fashion a straight by reading a book and hand you a piece of art the next morning.
Fortunately for my young friend a member here has offered to sharpen the edges I most likely destroyed, including the one that @Herrenberg so graciously applied to my Great Grandpappy's straight.

At the risk of being banned from the DE threads, if I can get the skill of shaving with a straight razor down, I don't think I would ever shave any other way again.

It was SO..... zen? yesterday. Maybe the best way to describe it is to compare it to my foray into oil painting. I could literally LOSE all sense of time and space in the act of creating a painting. It was so.... RELAXING, for lack of the real werd I cannot find.

Anyway. Sorry for the rambling on and on my friends. You ALL are like my safe haven in a rocky werld for me. My health as of late has been.... worrisome is not the werd, as I have settled my health accounts with the only One that my health ultimately matters to, but concerning? Yes, my health has been concerning me as of late, for my lovely War Department's sake, and my only begotten, since I'm sure that they'd miss seeing me in my Lazyarseboy 18 hours per day!

I say all of that not for attention: ha! I get that from my attitude and my incredibly handsome face, and my irreverent posts on Fakebook! No, I'm just rambling to let you know that I really appreciate you bunch of wet shaving freaks.

Shoot! I even like you dudes that use elektricks! ..... Somebuddy's got to like you folks!

FarmerTan

Busy day today. We went to downtown Flint today, to the Farmer's Market, and that hurricane pumped a lot of heat and humidity up to us Michiganders, so I didn't feel up to shaving with a straight tonight. Probably tomorrow though!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
It was SO..... zen? yesterday.

Soto or Rinzai? :) Yer gonna do it the Zen way, you need a kamisori.

I like things that make me concentrate. My special place for that at the moment is the barber straights -- I can certainly appreciate being retired now, when taking an hour for a luxurious shave just helps pass the time before one should dress for lunch.

I usually take my mug of coffee in the Lather Pit with me, so I can pause occasionally for recombobulation.

My health as of late has been.... worrisome is not the werd, as I have settled my health accounts with the only One that my health ultimately matters to, but concerning? Yes, my health has been concerning me as of late, for my lovely War Department's sake, and my only begotten, since I'm sure that they'd miss seeing me in my Lazyarseboy 18 hours per day!

Oh, I dunno. They could simply put you in it and dust you occasionally. Solves all kinds of problems. Seriously, I'm sorry to hear that. I got really, really lucky about five or six years ago and I'm still stumbling around annoying people. Just rolled over another 100K on the odometer and while the old bod still runs OK it's definitely going to start getting more expensive from here on. As long as I have something I'm learning I'm pretty good. Currently reading up on stone carving, because who wouldn't like to rock out?

Shoot! I even like you dudes that use elektricks! ..... Somebuddy's got to like you folks!

As always you set my mind at ease that my little peccadilloes add to my charm rather than detract from it.

O.H.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

Soto or Rinzai? :) Yer gonna do it the Zen way, you need a kamisori.

I like things that make me concentrate. My special place for that at the moment is the barber straights -- I can certainly appreciate being retired now, when taking an hour for a luxurious shave just helps pass the time before one should dress for lunch.

I usually take my mug of coffee in the Lather Pit with me, so I can pause occasionally for recombobulation.

Oh, I dunno. They could simply put you in it and dust you occasionally. Solves all kinds of problems. Seriously, I'm sorry to hear that. I got really, really lucky about five or six years ago and I'm still stumbling around annoying people. Just rolled over another 100K on the odometer and while the old bod still runs OK it's definitely going to start getting more expensive from here on. As long as I have something I'm learning I'm pretty good. Currently reading up on stone carving, because who wouldn't like to rock out?

As always you set my mind at ease that my little peccadilloes add to my charm rather than detract from it.

O.H.
Was I a Debbie Downer last night or what? After a too long nap after church this afternoon, I have decided to face the coming week with a smile and a straight razor shave!...... But not until tomorrow.

FarmerTan

I shaved last night, after a LONG day, with my Great Grandpappy's straight. I used a Palmolive Stick. I acquired two tiny nicks: one on the upper left cheek, one just below the nose. It was only one pass, but was a fairly close shave. I did follow up (clean up) with a "Tiger" blade, loaded in a Schick Krona. Beautiful combo.

Thanks for keeping me honest, fellow "straightmen"! I may even do a simple once over with the straight tonight to werk on this: more hydration in my Palmolive lather, and to see if it increases my "muscle memory!"

Top Bottom