What's new

Farmer Tan's Foray Into SR Shaving

I wonder whether some sort of elbow rest would help. I'm half tempted to stack books to the right height, wrap them in three layers of plastic wrap, and try it myself.

Yes, generally my steady hand holds the wrist of the shakey hand.

But I also sometimes use it to just stabilize the back of the tail and scales independent of the shakey hand. Kind of like holding a piccolo.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It has been three weeks since we last heard about @FarmerTan's foray into SR shaving. I wonder how he is progressing - or has he thrown in the towel?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It has been three weeks since we last heard about @FarmerTan's foray into SR shaving. I wonder how he is progressing - or has he thrown in the towel?
No, just lazy! Or busy. Health has been stinky. But I did shave yesterday with the straight! Or, I should say, I shaved half my face. I had about a weeks worth of a goatee going on that I hadn't shaved since the day of my mom in law's funeral. It was looking good too, but I decided to shave it off and maybe start over in winter.

I rushed it a bit, and had to finish it off with a Gillette NEW Long Comb.

Thanks for the reminder my friend! I have to learn to touch up this thing. It feels like I've dulled it already!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
How do you plan to refresh your SR edge?

I'm a firm believer in diamond pasted balsa stops but that takes time to get it all together. Once together, it is perfect for my needs and is quite economical when compared to most good finishing stones. Materials for a set of three (0.5μm, 0.25μm & 0.1μm) should set you back well under USD 100.

FarmerTan

Happy to touch it up for you if you feel like enduring the hassle of sending it my way again.
I may take you up on that my friend. But I'm going to give it another go on my face before I do. It might just have been lack of practice.

FarmerTan

Going through some stuff for the estate sale coming up, my wife found an old "sterilizer cabinet" I bought and displayed in my old haircut shop. Think I paid $20 for it.
IMG_20210629_144949231.jpg

Plan to use it for display/storage....

FarmerTan

Look what also popped up! No idea when I acquired it, but probably bought it the same day as the sterilizer, maybe early 90's?
I may try to strop it and try it tonight? I'm pretty sure my tetanus is up to date?
IMG_20210629_145019806~2.jpg
IMG_20210629_145413542~2.jpg
IMG_20210629_145429705~2.jpg
IMG_20210629_145404044~2.jpg

I wonder how much I paid? More than $3 ?

I know the War Department was with me, so I'll bet ya even money it was $5 or $10 tops.

FarmerTan

That’s a very nice razor. Have Alfredo clean it up and hone it for you.
I'm so ignorant I'm not sure who Alfredo is! I'm too new to this!

So that is a decent razor? I think it's wider than my other one, which I really wanted! I need to get educated on the Straight side of things here on B and B.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Look what also popped up! No idea when I acquired it, but probably bought it the same day as the sterilizer, maybe early 90's?
I may try to strop it and try it tonight? I'm pretty sure my tetanus is up to date?View attachment 1289338View attachment 1289341View attachment 1289342View attachment 1289343
I wonder how much I paid? More than $3 ?

I know the War Department was with me, so I'll bet ya even money it was $5 or $10 tops.
So now we know that deep down you have been secretly collecting SR's for about 20 years!

That SR looks pretty decent for something that has been neglected for so long. To measure the blade width, just lay the blade across a ruler.

Top Bottom