What's new

Farmer Tan's Foray Into SR Shaving

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
...or a buddy who worked at a quarry in Belgium or Japan or anything.

Funny thing. I have a quarry on the property. More like a "dig" I suppose, as we live on a range of mountains that is basically glacial till. We took almost all the rock out of it that went to build our stone hearth, exception being some round river stone that our mason used to edge a couple places. He said it was nice not to have to haul a tonne of rock to the jobsite every day. :) Don't like that one? We got lots more...

The place is called StoneGround Farm, "...because that's the only kind of ground we have."

Most of my hones for keeping tools sharp come from the quarry. Somewhere there was a layer of hard blue fine grained stone, because I find a lot of tabular pieces about 1.5 inches or so thick. Lovely for keeping a point on punches, edges on chisels, sharpening axes and striking knives and scythes and shovels etc.

I also have a greenish coarser stone and some other blue that is almost quartzy. Cryptocrystalline. Mostly it's a jumble shop and I just pick up the interesting ones as I run across them, and pile them by the shop. Pretty sure none of it is fine enough to put a good edge on a straight, though.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Would any of that blue silt be fine enough to keep the razor of Dave’s great grandfather in peak operating condition?

Now there's a good question. I'll admit I don't tend to be too fine-grained about flattening a stone when I'm using it to sharpen a cold chisel or an axe. And not being a "true" SR shaver I haven't needed to hone something on that level for a while.

I'll give that some thought.

O.H.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am extremely left handed but it only took a couple of weeks to use both hands. Actually, I’ve never figured out how to use just my left hand for my whole face. Anyway just enjoy the ride however you like.
Thank you friend! I THINK I will have another go at the left hand soon...I honestly have no doubt I HAVE to get proficient with it in order to advance to my desired level of competency!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm as close to being ambidextrous as anyone I know, but having such a sharp tool at my jugular vein gives me pause, ha! But I need to stop being lazy and start using my left hand with a DE to familiarize myself a bit to the concept!
Don’t worry. You’ll get used to it soon enough.

Top Bottom