What's new

Farewell to Clubman

It's me...not you...

I (re)started wet-shaving a little over 2 years ago, and, based on discussions on B&B, one of my first purchases (other than razors, blades, soap and brush) was a bottle of Pinaud Clubman.

It was the consensus here that Clubman was a classic "old barbershop" scent, and a good aftershave splash. After using Skin Bracer pretty much exclusively for decades, Clubman was indeed a change!

It was quite a bit "heavier" than SB, and fairly long-lasting. I must admit I found it a bit eye-watering upon application...the scent really hit me. But -- in the name of keeping with the "roots" of wet-shaving, I persevered.

I will note that the LOTH gave Clubman a thumbs-down from the first use. She didn't like it on me...she said it reminded her of Jade East, of which she is not a fan. I remember Jade East from my youth, not unfondly. Now, I must note that I find her reviews of scents to be a tad unreliable...some days she hates a scent, and a few days later, "mmm...you smell good!" for the same scent. This happened on more than one occasion with Clubman. But, out of respect, I only used Clubman on days when she was not around, or would only be nearby later in the day, when Clubman had faded.

I recently splashed on some Clubman after a very pleasant shave, and...phew! I did not like it at all...seemed to me to have some over(under?)tones of bathroom cleaner or furniture wax.

In the 2+ years I've been wet-shaving, I've acquired an arsenal of AS splashes that I really like, with complex and excellent fragrances, and some with soothing healing ingredients. These include (in no particular order): Speick, Proraso Refresh, Fine American Blend, a couple of Bay Rums, Skin Bracer (of course), to name a few...and I'm currently working my way through 8 samples from Stirling (excellent!).

My conclusion is that I have so many really good AS splashes, I don't want to waste time/space on something that I have to really work at to try and like. (BTW...I had the same reaction/decision as regards Williams Mug Soap) Life is too short...

I know I will not change anyone's opinion of Clubman. I fully recognize that personal perceptions of scent/fragrance are highly subjective, and that Clubman has many fans here. In fact, I believe I may be in the distinct minority on this...I can't recall very many negative reviews here.

But...off to the back of the bottom drawer with the classic bottle (right next to the ZipLoc bag with the Williams Mug Soap). Now I have room for another bottle! Gotta go and shave...still trying to choose the best Stirling splash so I can fill that slot.

My $0.02...nobody asked...

I'm with you. After a not very nice introduction, I went on a forced marriage with it for a week (one of those product if the week things a couple years back). A brief honeymoon period where I almost got to like it, but then an acrimonious split.

I have also given up on Clubman. When I first got it, I loved it. A nice traditional barbershop scent, and it had good staying power. I don't know if my nose changed or what, but now the powder scent from it is overpowering. I absolutely cannot stand it.

I have a bottle of Vintage Clubman, and it is awesome.... but I can't do the modern anymore. I do still love Avon Wild Country, which is a Clubman clone, but does not have the powdery note.

I'm not particularly crazy about it either, but mainly the wifey hates it. So, it's gone.

My daily is usually Skin Bracer or LaToja. When all my walmart aftershaves are gone I'll probably go to just LaToja for an every day. It smells very similar to Drakkar, it's cheap, and it works.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interesting use of a moustache mug!

Thanks, KJ. Actually, it's been repurposed as a "Pinaud Clubman Air Freshener Mug."

It has a wad of crumpled up paper at the bottom; liberally drenched with Pinaud Clubman After Shave.

Because no-one should have to go any appreciable amount of time without smelling the classic fougere scent of Pinaud Clubman After Shave. It's that good.

AA

I'm with you too. I just got my first bottle of it last week. The scent is OK at best, to me it's watered down Wild Country + plastic bottle. I've already got enough Wild Country, I've started leaving $1 bottles behind. I think I'm going to decant it into glass just to see if it really makes a difference. At least I can say I tried it, and it might be a fun experiment, but I don't see myself restocking if and when It's gone.

I was reading an old thread last night and some guys were saying it changed drastically. I don't hold out much hope myself, but I think it will be worth a try anyway.

Skin Bracer is an outstanding aftershave. I can see how some might not go for clubman. It hits the right notes with me. But I also like the Veg and Arko.

Yep, been there. I tried Clubman as it was the scent to have. I found it a bit overpowering and a little on the sweet side. The wife was defiantly not a fan, that was the end. It stayed in the cupboard until I PIF it with a few other items. Someone out there loves it and that is OK.

I bought a bottle of it back in June. There's just a tiny bit gone, so I guess that's how much I like it. Plus after a while it gets that skunk smell going. That's just the stuff on the outside of the bottle, but it still turns me off.

It's an ok scent for me, but I have quite a few others that I like much better, so it always gets skipped over.

I'm not a huge fan of the regular Clubman, but I do really like the Special Reserve and the Classic Vanilla.

Count me in with on the "like" side of Clubman. If I like it, my wife loves it. I find that I like Clubman better with certain shave soaps - Mitchell's Wool Fat and Arko.

As always, YMMV.

Vez22, I picked up some vintage Avon Wild Country and like it very much. I don't get the Clubman clone part of it, but it's a fine scent.

$41pN4ElcXmL._SY355_.jpg

Don't worry Clubman, I still love you! :001_rolle

Top Bottom