ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
6F0D929F-C29D-42E1-8BB8-3D34C64BDD11.jpeg
DE9CBFA8-BDB2-460A-94C3-0E3EDCCF030F.jpeg
C95CD94A-A309-41E2-9252-411455B85F10.jpeg
7041B1F6-AD79-41D2-9188-D94B53EDF248.jpeg
2AE0AACD-69CF-4F37-88EF-DC808447DA6D.jpeg

I bought this brush second hand a long time ago on eBay. It had served me well and finished up out of rotation in the back of the bathroom drawer. I started using it again but it felt like the knot was half full of soap. I could only use from the black ring up. I tried giving it a spa and a comb but the knot wouldn’t free up. I finished up combing the knot right out of the handle. The knot won‘t free up in the middle of the knot to glue back in. Has anyone re-knotted one of these Wilkinson Swords before and what knot to you use? Without a digital micrometer I am measuring a 20mm hole.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hey Andrew,

I think I've seen these brushes at the local Walmart or Shoppers here in before, they are affordable, but if you are wanting to reuse, I've had experience with the 3 band 20mm knots Larry sells and I love them:

If you want a little more backbone, then he does have other types. The hole in the handle looks fairly clean and the little bit of glue looks like it might even just pop out with a little wedge of a knife. Keep us updated on this, I'm interested to see the transformation.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Great, more ideas for new projects. I have one also and quite like the handle well enough, although the knot is just ok. Perhaps down the road a candidate for a makeover? Thanks for sharing, please update along the way.

If it were mine I would be reknotting it, probably with a Two Band Finest Badger. Maybe with a Black and White Synthetic from Maggards.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I would try and re-glue the knot that came out. If this works, you set for a while, just use a good two-component epoxy.
TGN sells small boar knots, but the shipping to you may kill any good deal.

Those are very cheap brushes and knot size is ~18mm. As a project, you could re-knot with a synthetic kot from China.
That hole looks tapered so it is an added complication.

View attachment 1437881View attachment 1437882View attachment 1437883View attachment 1437884View attachment 1437885
I bought this brush second hand a long time ago on eBay. It had served me well and finished up out of rotation in the back of the bathroom drawer. I started using it again but it felt like the knot was half full of soap. I could only use from the black ring up. I tried giving it a spa and a comb but the knot wouldn’t free up. I finished up combing the knot right out of the handle. The knot won‘t free up in the middle of the knot to glue back in. Has anyone re-knotted one of these Wilkinson Swords before and what knot to you use? Without a digital micrometer I am measuring a 20mm hole.

That handle is awesome!
Go for a top of the line Muhle silvertip fibre knot from rudy vey.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the replies Gents, I am going to do a little research over the Easter period and re-knot the handle. I keep encouraging others to re-knot and restore their brushes so I should do the same. I will keep you all posted on the progress.

Top Bottom