What's new

Farewell Godrej Shave round

B5EADDA9-522C-4A74-A970-4026759CD542.jpeg

These Godrej shave round soaps production has stopped and sales are already down
So do catch them before they go out of stock forever.

These are damn value money and have been in production for quite a long time.

My grand father used to use it even my colleague's father used to use it.

When he saw my Sotd post seeing the shave soap i dragged him into wet shaving.

He relived his father's memories who unfortunately passed away a while back.

To be honest, I find their creams are a much better product than the round, but it's nice to have a little nostalgia on your hands!
They lather easily and have a unique barbershop mild fragrance which also doesn't irritate or dry the skin.

In terms of soaps they beat easily other brands which are 12-15x the price.

In terms of cream yes they are good but last time the fragrance was gone from the shave tube of Godrej lime

Sorry to hear the news. Continues the pattern we've seen around the world where basic no-frills old-school shave soaps have been discontinued. Williams was recently discontinued in the U.S. with the same for Palmolive shave sticks in Europe. Does this make Arko the last one standing?

Sorry to hear the news. Continues the pattern we've seen around the world where basic no-frills old-school shave soaps have been discontinued. Williams was recently discontinued in the U.S. with the same for Palmolive shave sticks in Europe. Does this make Arko the last one standing?

MWF is still going (fingers crossed).

Not too worried about MWF as at $12-$15 a puck (in the U.S.) it's likely well positioned for shaving hobbiests from a price and margin perspective from both a manufacturing and retail perspective for the on-line and specialty shaving product retailers that carry it. The old school soaps mentioned above were the under $1-$2 a pucks/sticks that were in production for decades and sold by regular pharmacy and/or grocery chains.

A coincidence that the Williams and Godrej Shave Round, both budget shave soaps folded up the same time, more or less.

I've got a few somewhere.

I used these extensively in my early years when I had an acne problem and anything else irritated the skin. This along with the godrej plastic click razor- shave Nirvana for acne prone skin.

The creams are definitely much better, but the "dadhi ki tikiya" as it was called back in the day has history and will be missed.

The Godrej shaving round is often referred to as "the Williams of India" but in a technical sense, this couldn't be further from the truth!

The Godrej is more like "the MDC of India"!

Just look at the ingredients...Williams is a high sodium soap. Hence the difficulty many guys have in lathering it up.

The Godrej is actually a 100% potassium soap, like MDC.

One can lather it up in their sleep, it's that easy. The lather is dense, somewhat low-structure (despite having coconut and palm oils) and it "sticks to the skin" which is another characteristic of high potassium soaps.

Godrej shaving round will definitely be missed!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Another Shaving Soap that I have been going to try and every time I was going to buy a few off the bay I was too slow. Farewell soap that I didn’t get to know.

Another Shaving Soap that I have been going to try and every time I was going to buy a few off the bay I was too slow. Farewell soap that I didn’t get to know.

I think maggards has them in stock.
But may be too expensive with shipping to Australia.

I have a partial puck of the Godrej Shave round and a spare or three(I don't have to explain to you folks on the Shaving Soap Sub WHY I have reserves, right?)

Anyway, a really good, simple soap for shaving. It really is a shame that these popular commercial soaps are disappearing. You would think that after all of these years, with the resurgence of traditional wet shaving that so many shaving soaps are going out of production. I understand the economics of these decisions, but it's still kind of sad. Just my $0.02!

Reactions: nav
A pity indeed. It was my grandfather’s software of choice too for a shave. I have a puck or 2 in stock somewhere. Great value soap and I have always enjoyed my shaves with it.

Damn this is sad news. Godrej Shaving Round has been refered to as the Indian Williams due to its cheap price in India. Impressive value for a small hard puck that is perhaps triple milled. Unusual industrial lavender scent plus the puck has a key imprint on the bottom which I read is because the Godrej company was originally a locksmith company.

So many old classics have been discontinued recently it's a shame.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Godrej is more like "the MDC of India"!
Now that’s quite a stretch. Lol. I’ve had a couple of those tiny Godrej tubs for years. And a couple of tubes of Godrej cream too. Don’t really care for any of them. If I’m bottom feeding my soap collection I’d rather use Arko. 😎

Now that’s quite a stretch. Lol. I’ve had a couple of those tiny Godrej tubs for years. And a couple of tubes of Godrej cream too. Don’t really care for any of them. If I’m bottom feeding my soap collection I’d rather use Arko. 😎

I've used MdC and the Godrej behaves very similarly. That "sticky" lather that comes from a KOH soap, which I love.
Neutral post-shave and very similar lather consistency. I definitely don't consider it a stretch.

View attachment 1469959

These Godrej shave round soaps production has stopped and sales are already down
So do catch them before they go out of stock forever.

These are damn value money and have been in production for quite a long time.

My grand father used to use it even my colleague's father used to use it.

When he saw my Sotd post seeing the shave soap i dragged him into wet shaving.

He relived his father's memories who unfortunately passed away a while back.

A Godrej shaving round is stop by company in 2021 but very similar shaving round is now available in India. A product name is "Delmy Shaving round soap". I used it & find it very similar in quality & fragrance.
Yes coz delmy is the one indeed who used to make them rounds.

Also the Delmy shave round has some glycerine which is better slightly

Top Bottom