What's new

Famous Veterans - Did you know they served?

0E6AF0A1-47DC-4560-B5C9-EEE5CB26F2C0.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Short and sweet, glad they did what they were meant to do, we're better off because they did.

Considering he was a man who spent his entire entertainment career railing against the establishment, it’s hard to believe comedy legend George Carlin ever wore a military uniform. After dropping out of school in ninth grade, Carlin joined the Air Force in 1954 and spent his early years as a radar technician at Barksdale Air Force Base in Bossier Parish, Louisiana. While still serving, he moonlighted as a disk jockey in nearby Shreveport.
It’s evident that the outspoken Carlin the world came to know got his early bouts of rebellion while in uniform. He racked up an impressive three court-martials, several other disciplinary actions, and a general discharge three years into his enlistment

carlin george.jpg

Before the wind cried Mary, the wind was hitting the face of guitar god Jimi Hendrix as he jumped out of airplanes in the Army’s 101st Airborne Division. It came after an option to spend time in jail or join the military after his arrest for joyriding in stolen cars.
Hendrix joined the Army in May 1961 and, upon completing his training and getting assigned to his unit, quickly gained a reputation from his command as a lackluster soldier—maybe a non-conformist at best. In less than a year his superiors were recommending his discharge from the Army.
Hendrix would receive an honorable discharge soon after that and the Army’s problem child would soon carve out a nice career.

hendrix jimmy.jpg

Richard Pryor was raised by a relative in a brothel environment after being abandoned by his mother. The Army would almost seem like a safe escape after all of that. But quickly into his enlistment — while stationed in Germany — Pryor was imprisoned and discharged after two years of service for a physical altercation involving a white soldier who was overly amused by a racially charged scene in a film.
pryor.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Rough start

In 1947, at age 17, McQueen received permission from his mother to join the Marine Corps. He went through basic training at Parris Island, South Carolina. Initially, he was promoted to private first class in an armored division, but had trouble with authority and was demoted to private no less than seven times. At one point, he went absent without leave to spend two weeks with his girlfriend and was confined to the brig for 41 days. After this he resolved to focus his energies on self-improvement and embraced the Marines' discipline.
During an Arctic exercise, the ship grounded knocking several tanks and crews into the icy water. Some drowned but McQueen fearlessly leapt into the frigid water and saved the lives of five men.
He was assigned to the honor guard, responsible for guarding then President Harry Truman's presidential yacht.
McQueen served until 1950, when he was honorably discharged.
Despite his initial trouble adjusting to military life, he remembered the Marine Corps fondly, saying, "The Marines made a man out of me. I learned how to get along with others, and I had a platform to jump off of."
mcqueen steve.jpg

John(Johann) Banner.
Left Austria for America in 1938.
In 1942, Banner enlisted in the United States Army Airforces, underwent basic training and became a supply sergeant. He even posed for a recruiting poster (before he became portly). He served until 1945.
According to fellow Hogan's Heroes actor Robert Clary, who was a Holocaust survivor himself, "John lost a lot of his family" to the holocaust.
401D1778-93BE-46F4-93A3-DB0AED816636.jpeg
47F32D10-3ECF-4E55-8529-49523E8ABB34.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
John(Johann) Banner.
Left Austria for America in 1938.
In 1942, Banner enlisted in the United States Army Airforces, underwent basic training and became a supply sergeant. He even posed for a recruiting poster (before he became portly). He served until 1945.
According to fellow Hogan's Heroes actor Robert Clary, who was a Holocaust survivor himself, "John lost a lot of his family" to the holocaust.
View attachment 1358079View attachment 1358077
Yep. I have him in Post #4

Werner Klemperer immigrated to the United States from Cologne Germany in 1933 and later joined the United States Army to serve in World War II. While stationed in Hawaii, he joined the Army's Special Services unit, spending the next years touring the Pacific entertaining the troops.
9CC6F943-49DF-4EF3-83FA-88F53F612D70.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Star Wars Veterans

Shortly after the September 11 attacks, Adam Driver, who played the evil son of Han Solo in the newer Star Wars franchise, enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. He was assigned to Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines as an 81mm mortar man. He served for two years and eight months before fracturing his sternum while mountain biking, right before his unit was shipped to Iraq. He was medically discharged with the rank of Lance Corporal.

driver adam.jpg

Christopher Lee, who played the sinister Lord Dooku in Star Wars, joined the Royal Air Force in 1941, attaining the rank of flight lieutenant during his World War II service.
Lee served in the Royal Air Force as an intelligence officer, attached to the No. 260 Squadron RAF as a liaison officer for the Special Operations Executive until 1946.
55798f726bb3f7f87149d052.jpg

When the Second World War began, Sir Alec Guinness, Obi Wan Kenobe in Star Wars, stepped forward. The actor enlisted in the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve in 1941, entering the war at the age of 27. He was in charge of a landing craft that he took through a series of German aircraft shots and successfully landed on the coast of North Africa. There, Guinness and his squad prepared for the invasion of Sicily.
On July 9, 1943, the actor managed to land 200 men on Cape Passero. During the invasion, though, the Allied army had a communication breakdown.
Guinness did not receive a message that the landing of the troops had been delayed by one hour, Unaware that the invasion was postponed an hour, Guinness inadvertently commanded the first craft to land at the invasion of Sicily!
Image1.png

After graduating from university, James Earl Jones, the iconic voice of Darth Vader, was recruited into the Army.
With the war intensifying in Korea, Jones expected to be deployed as soon as he received his commission as a second lieutenant.
As he waited for his orders, he worked as a part-time stage crew hand at the Ramsdell Theatre in Manistee, Michigan, where he had earlier performed. Jones was commissioned in mid-1953, after the Korean War's end, and reported to Fort Benning to attend the Infantry Officers Basic Course. He attended Ranger School and received his Ranger Tab. Jones was assigned to Headquarter and Headquarters Company, 38th Regimental Combat Team.
He was initially to report to Fort Leonard Wood, but his unit was instead sent to establish a cold weather training command at the former Camp Hale near Leadville, Colorado. His battalion became a training unit in the rugged terrain of the Rocky Mountains. Jones was promoted to first lieutenant prior to his discharge.
jones.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In 1961, 18-year-old Bob Ross enlisted in the United States Air Force and was put into service as a medical records technician.  Over his 20 year career in the military, he rose to the rank of Master Sergeant and served as the first sergeant of the clinic at Eielson Air Force Base in Alaska. Having held military positions including Drill Instructor that required him to act tough and mean, he recalled “I was the guy who makes you scrub the latrine, the guy who makes you make your bed, the guy who screams at you for being late to work. The job requires you to be a mean, tough person. And I was fed up with it. I promised myself that if I ever got away from it, it wasn't going to be that way anymore.”
Ross’s pivot came about when, inspired by the beautiful landscapes surrounding him at Eielson Air Force Base in Alaska, he took a painting class at the nearby USO. The constant state of conflict, yelling and anger required in his military position created a need for calm, which he found in painting landscapes in his off hours. When he discovered he could earn more more selling his work than his military salary, he retired and vowed he “would never yell again.”

ross bob.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Actor Jamie Farr, Known as Corporal Klinger on the TV series M*A*S*H, was drafted into the United States Army in 1957, undergoing his basic training with the 6th Infantry Division, Fort Ord, California. Farr served two years on active duty. He started in New York City at the old Paramount Studios – converted to the Army Pictorial Center. There, he worked on training films.
He was shipped to Japan and worked with Armed Forces Radio, taking trips to Korea to open Armed Forces Television.
After comedian Red Skelton lost his 12-year-old son to leukemia, Skelton decided to take a trip to Korea to entertain the troops. A former Army man himself, Skelton toured with the Special Services during WWII, performing as many as 12 shows a day.
“He just wanted to go out and entertain, and go to these small encampments throughout Korea,” Farr said.
Having worked with Skelton prior to being drafted, Skelton put in a formal request with the U.S. State Department to have Farr accompany him on his tour of Korea.
Then Pvt. Farr went from regular duty to VIP status and flying around the theater on a UN airplane. “We entertained all the way up to the 38th parallel,” Farr said.
When the two parted ways at the end of Skelton’s tour, Farr returned to his duty station in Japan.
image20-1024x1024.jpg

In 1956, Alan Alda who played Hawkeye Pierce on M*A*S*H, received his Bachelor of Arts degree as a member of the ROTC. He entered the United States Army Reserve and served for a year at Fort Benning, then six months as a gunnery officer in Korea. In a 2013 interview, Alda joked that he was actually in charge of a mess tent.
“They had designs of making me into an officer but, uh … it didn’t go so well,” he told an audience in 2013. “I was in charge of a mess tent. Some of that made it into the show.”
During his time, he would serve 200 soldiers their meals. He also observed how shell-shocked some of them looked that they barely even touched their meals. It became a day to day ritual. His observations helped him incorporate both a weird sense of normalcy and the ever-present danger into the show.
Thanks to his service, Alda worked behind the scenes to make sure the show reflected the War and honored the people that served. He didn’t want to turn it into some wacky comedy.
alan-1.jpg

Mike Farrell who was Captain BJ Hunnicutt in the series M*A*S*H served in the United States Marine Corps from 1957 to 1959. He was a PFC infantryman for his two years of service in the 3rd Marine Division.
farrell mike.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Bridges Family and the Coast Guard.

Lloyd Bridges left Columbia Pictures in 1942 during World War II to enlist in the United States Coast Guard. Following his discharge, he returned to acting but remained in the Coast Guard Auxilliary until 1962. In later years, he was a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, 11th District (California) and did several public service announcements for the Coast Guard. Bridges' Sea Hunt character Mike Nelson was portrayed as a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary and sometimes appeared in uniform. Because of his support, he was made an honorary commodore in the Auxiliary.
e797156a5603cb0eec72cf80191f13af.jpg

Inspired by his father’s work on the television series, Sea Hunt which involved meeting Coast Guard personnel, award-winning actor Beau Bridges enlisted in the Coast Guard Reserve in 1959. He served for eight years until 1967. He was an E-3 Seaman aboard USCGC Dexter (WAGC-18/WAVP-385/WHEC-385).
In a Coast Guard Compass interview, when asked what he remembers most about his Coast Guard service, he said: “I think it prepared me for life, my training in the Coast Guard. It was a peacetime service, so I didn’t see any wartime action; but I learned a lot about life. How to take care of myself. How to be of service to other people. And I’ve tried to carry on that tradition. And I’ve also met a lot of friends. I think what’s great about the military is, you join another family when that happens.”
404d4ebd7c5488e63adb95f8d87fcede--military-veterans-military-service.jpg

in 1967, when actor Jeff Bridges turned 18, joined the Coast Guard Reserves. His service lasted for a full seven years until 1975, and taught the budding actor about hard work and discipline. He was designated a BM (Boatswain's Mate) and eventually made Second Class Petty Officer. He served at USCG Reserve Center San Luis Obispo, CA.
Among his tasks, he not-so-fondly recalls needing to chip paint off of buoys as a buoy tender. Bridges and his mates would start at the bow to chip paint, work their way to the stern, then red lead everything, and finally apply a coat of paint. By the time they had finished painting, it was time to start the process over again. His memories of the Coast Guard aren't sugar-coated.
"The ceiling is about 7 feet tall and below the racks where you sleep there's three or four racks stuffed into that space and you're out in the ocean at sea in a flat-bottomed boat up against the wind and the swells and everyone is puking. You return from the watch at about 4 a.m. and get dressed in your wool suit and go up there—that was a pretty terrible living condition. But, again, all the tough times make great memories when you look back. Like, I'm glad it's in the rearview mirror."
Despite some of the grueling tasks he needed to perform, Bridges did enjoy his time in the Coast Guard. He enlisted out of a sense of obligation, and knew at the gate that he wasn't going to stick with it as a career path.
c84f9b22d659114bfd187a38450a258e.jpg

Attachments

• e797156a5603cb0eec72cf80191f13af.jpg
    e797156a5603cb0eec72cf80191f13af.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 2

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
F Troop

In 1953, after high school graduation, Ken Berry, F-Troops Captain Parmenter, volunteered for the United States Army, and was assigned to Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
His first year in the Army was spent in the artillery, where he entered a post talent contest; The winner went on Arlene Francis' Soldier Parade in New York City. Berry, who always carried his tap shoes with him, worked out a routine and a few hours later won the contest. He headed to New York for his television debut.
Berry's second and final year in the army was with Special Services, under Sergeant Leonard Nimoy. As a part of Special Services, he toured Army posts and officers' clubs entertaining the troops, as well as visiting colleges for recruiting purposes. Soon another talent competition was held, the All Army Talent Competition, looking to find service personnel to appear on Ed Sullivan's Toast of the Town. Berry placed third in the "Specialty Act" category with the song "There'll Be Some Changes Made" and returned to New York City and television.
c75dfb28360676945b024f6cac2928b8.jpg

Second Liieutenant Forrest Tucker was a Signal Officer during his time in the US Army before his role as Sgt. O'Rourke in F-Troop. In 1938 he Lied about his age to join the US Army Cavalry, stationed at Ft. Myer in Virginia. He was discharged when his age became known. Then in 1942 he again enlisted in the Army and earned a commission as a Second Lieutenant. GRADUATED SIGNAL OFFICER CANDIDATE SCHOOL (OCS) CLASS 25-43. He was in the Signal Corps and served Stateside and was making movies for the Army. He was discharged in 1945.
tucker forest.png

Corporal Agarn, played in F-Troop by Larry Storch, went to high school with actor-comedian Don Adams and served in the U.S. Navy from 1942 to 1946 during World War II with actor Tony Curtis on the submarine tender USS Proteus as a Seaman First Class.
BqtROX2CcAE60Rj.jpg

James Hampton, known as bugler Hannibal Dobbson in "F-Troop", was inducted into the United States Army. He was he was in the cavalry at Fort Knox before being sent to active duty overseas, stationed in Germany and performed with the USO, for which he won awards.
3afaffac-5613-4f16-a69d-0085f38d3f36.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for this thread Phil. I had no idea about these people. I do think I recognized Audie Murphy in a picture though...

Top Bottom