What's new

Famous lost men’s fragrances

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am glad I am not alone, guitarslinger. Maybe not scars, but read streaks. Same re crystals. Although at first they were fine with me. I have reactions to some of the big guy products, too. Right Guard does not bother me. Real oak moss does not bother me. At least not in frag concentrations.

But natural may be just as likely to irritate. I do not agree 100x. I think citrus oils are irritating for most people. Most commercial shampoos seem to promote dandruff for me. I use a shampoo bar from India that is the only thing that keeps dandruff away for me.
Do you mind telling me what the shampoo bar is called? Thanks, Dave

Kesh Nikhar https://1.imimg.com/data/X/2/MY-175480/kesh-nikhar-herbal-soaps_250x250.jpg I hope that image comes through.

Wonderful stuff for my hair and scalp, anyway. I used to be able to buy it at any Indian-Pakistani grocery story around Washington, DC, where I live. Then I could get it on-line from US sources. Then it seemed I couldn't get it from any US anymore. In recent years I have had to order it on eBay, where it ships from India.

Still inexpensive. A bar lasts a long time.

Gucci is a common theme here. Looks like anything top notch from them eventually goes away. I don't get their mindset. Geez, look at the victims, Rush, Envy, Nobile, Pour Homme, surely others now missed. Trouble is, the current fragrances which I am no expert on, likely would not be as well received as the scents they put to bed.

I did some research. Turns out Tom Ford was the creative director at Gucci from like 94 to 04. No wonder they had so much good stuff during that time.

You may be onto something, guitarslinger. Gucci Rush was created by Antoine Maisondieu of all people in 2000. Tom Ford has a good nose.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Kesh Nikhar https://1.imimg.com/data/X/2/MY-175480/kesh-nikhar-herbal-soaps_250x250.jpg I hope that image comes through.

Wonderful stuff for my hair and scalp, anyway. I used to be able to buy it at any Indian-Pakistani grocery story around Washington, DC, where I live. Then I could get it on-line from US sources. Then it seemed I couldn't get it from any US anymore. In recent years I have had to order it on eBay, where it ships from India.

Still inexpensive. A bar lasts a long time.
I was so intrigued and enthralled by this stuff I never reported back. Thanks for the information.

You may be onto something, guitarslinger. Gucci Rush was created by Antoine Maisondieu of all people in 2000. Tom Ford has a good nose.

Not JUST Antoine Maisondieu. Also Daniela (Roche) Andrier.

She has done many classics for Prada and Armani. Plus, she formulated the coveted Gucci Envy.

The fragrance hobby is just as fun as the shaving hobby once you get burned out owning every soap and aftershave in existence. :lol:

<Not JUST Antoine Maisondieu. Also Daniela (Roche) Andrier.>

That is apparently so! All I know is what I read on Basenotes and the entry for Rush for men just had AM. But Rush is listed under DA in another place.

The fragrance hobby is just as fun as the shaving hobby once you get burned out owning every soap and aftershave in existence

I would say that fragrances are more interesting than soaps or aftershaves. I pretty much settled on the handful of soaps I like and I like a neutral aftershave. Fragrances are an entire world and history! You do not get the hardware with fragrances though.

...The fragrance hobby is just as fun as the shaving hobby once you get burned out owning every soap and aftershave in existence.
Haven't these poor men suffered enough?
After all the shaving gear they've amassed, you now want them to make room for a few hundred bottles of cologne!
My God, they're already junkies to R.A.D., B.A.D., S.R.A.D., S.A.D., S.C.A.D., R.B.A.D. and A.S.A.D.
A cologne-acquisition-disorder may be all it takes to become unhinged, ruin a marriage, or bankrupt one of these piteous souls!
ps. Of course, I'm only speaking of those who have not yet fallen victim to the siren call of sublime fragrances...as I have!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Some of the fragrances submitted on this thread have not entirely been discontinued by the manufacturer. They exist as re-issues, re-formulations, even re-interpretations, but they share one common attribute...they don't have exactly the same formula as the original.
This is not because the manufacturer wants to disappoint us. It's often the case that the manufacturer cannot make the original formulation anymore because of ethical pressures, IFRA and other regulations, restrictions, or extinction of some of the components.
Real civet is no longer used. A synthetic is substituted, bowing to ethical concerns. Oak moss, formerly restricted, is now banned by as a skin irritant. Others, such as lyral [HICC](lily of valley), atranol & chloroatranol (tree-mosses) are also banned as of 2015. The IFRA now has its sights on coumarin (tonka bean), linalool (lavender), citral (citrus), limonene (citrus), birch tar (leather), and eugenol (clove, rose) to recommend for restriction or banning. Some manufacturers are reportedly reformulating in anticipation of bans.
Sounds like perfume makers are the victims of zealous regulation, doesn't it?
Think again.
The IFRA is the cosmetics industry's own regulatory body, created to ward off bureaucratic EU regulations from Geneva that were taking shape in the early 1970's.
The complaint to-day is that the agency is controlled by the large cosmetics conglomerates who are using questionable science to secure bans of these natural ingredients, which cannot be subject to intellectual property rights laws, so that they can re-formulate their iconic brands using synthetics, which can be so protected.
Thus, they can come after and shut down copy-cat fragrances and dominate the fragrance market.
It's the smaller fragrance manufacturers who don't have the resources for the costly research and development needed to reformulate with synthetics that get squeezed, to discontinue fragrances, or go out of business altogether.
All of this because purportedly 1-3% of Europe's population is allergic or potentially allergic to these components in perfumes. And no suggestion that these alleged allergies are serious, or that hospitalisation or death would likely result. At worst, they produce minor skin irritations. The risk to the population from these substances is minuscule compared to that of peanuts, whose proposed ban in the EU brought ridicule and derision upon the Geneva bureaucrats before it was quickly shot down.
It's a Kafkaeque pantomime where we are the losers, with disappointing new formulations and the old ones commanding obscene prices on the collector's market.
Great post. Thanks!

Top Bottom