What's new

Family piece

Ok so while away at the weekend at my aunts she gave me my uncles straight razor which has been kept in box for the last 15 years, It has no makers mark anywhere there is rust on it and its not a looker by any means but to me this is priceless and means the world to me as this man was like a god, I really want to get it restored so that I can use it but at the moment with a impending move coming up the pot is empty, I know I will never do this justice if I set about it and it maybe quite sometime before I can afford to do this so what the best way of storing it so that it does not degrade any more.
Please help

Simple, give it a coat of a light oil, and put in a dry place. Most of the rust seems to be black rust, so it's unlikely to be actively eating away at the steel

if you want, you could possibly give it a polish with some metal polish or the like, but yeah, Dry environment would stop it from rusting further.

Also, Awesome Score! family pieces are so worth it, Even if they don't have makers marks or anything, the provinance is up there with the best

+1 on the advice.... Family heirlooms are the best... I have 4 straights 2 from each grandfather and they are my jewels

The good news is, the blade doesn't appear to be worn out. I can't see any signs thats it's been honed to death. It still has a nice overall shape to it.

The bad news is, the rust could be a problem. Especially the rust near the cutting edge. If it goes deep (causing pitting) then you'll never be able to restore it to shaving condition.

First step: Stop further rusting now (as described above).

Once it's cleaned up, post more pictures and we'll let you know if it can be restored to shaving condition.

As an uncle myself, I thank you for saving your uncle's razor!

Mike

I had a play and would like some advice on what to do with this,The rust marks on it seem to move with metal polish and I am sure with the right equipment and know how it would come up a treat, As for the scales I'm not that fussed about saving them its the blade I want to save and think my uncle would be happy for me to put my stamp on it. So any advice would really help

There are people on these boards who could do wonders with your blade and bring it back to a pristine state. I guess you just need to set your budget and check the relevant pages for the vendors out there.

Top Bottom