What's new

Family Dollar Spice

I saw it at Family Dollar for under 1$ per bottle last week. I bought it and used it once. Stung like crazy because I am not accustomed to alcohol AS

I didnt care for the fragrance personally. I dont buy any shaving products from Walgreens or CVS because they are all inferior performers.

I didn't love Dollar Spice but mixing a few drops in with my Osage Rub was a great tip!

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

I saw it at Family Dollar for under 1$ per bottle last week. I bought it and used it once. Stung like crazy because I am not accustomed to alcohol AS

I didnt care for the fragrance personally. I dont buy any shaving products from Walgreens or CVS because they are all inferior performers.
Which have you tried? The alcohol sting is a sign of razor burn. You shouldn’t get much sting from splashes. Some drugstore brands are really nice if you like the scents. Of course, some of the higher prices aftershaves are really nice too.

Which have you tried? The alcohol sting is a sign of razor burn. You shouldn’t get much sting from splashes. Some drugstore brands are really nice if you like the scents. Of course, some of the higher prices aftershaves are really nice too.

I have only tried the Family Dollar version of Old Spice. But once you have been exposed to the nice artisan fragrances you wont want to go back to that cheap sh1t. Im a thrifty person in general but I do splurge for a little luxury when it comes to my DE shaving hobby.

Wifey goes out for a $40 mani/pedi so I can treat myself to a nice $15 aftershave now and again.

Wifey quote of the day: "Why do you need so many different shaving soaps??"

"Why are you ordering another soap? You already have 30 tubs of assorted shaving soaps?"

I have only tried the Family Dollar version of Old Spice. But once you have been exposed to the nice artisan fragrances you wont want to go back to that cheap sh1t. Im a thrifty person in general but I do splurge for a little luxury when it comes to my DE shaving hobby.

Wifey goes out for a $40 mani/pedi so I can treat myself to a nice $15 aftershave now and again.

Wifey quote of the day: "Why do you need so many different shaving soaps??"

"Why are you ordering another soap? You already have 30 tubs of assorted shaving soaps?"
Ha, I agree. Enjoy your shaves!

I stopped into a larger, newer FD store and saw their aftershave for $2 a smallish bottle. There's another, older store nearer my place -- maybe it would have some of the stuff on sale or clearance.

I’ve been using the Family Dollar Spice by ViJon for about 3 years. It’s pretty close to the Old Spice I remember in the 60’s n 70’s.

I decant the Family Dollar stuff into a vintage 1970’s Old Spice bottle and use it that way.

I’ve been using the Family Dollar Spice by ViJon for about 3 years. It’s pretty close to the Old Spice I remember in the 60’s n 70’s.

I decant the Family Dollar stuff into a vintage 1970’s Old Spice bottle and use it that way.
Good way to do it!

I pulled it out today again (second use)

Once again it stung like crazy. I left it on for 60 seconds and rinsed it back off then put on Witch Hazel and Stirling balm. One hour later put on facial moisturizer on entire face and neck

I have almost zero experience with alcohol based aftershaves. How does this one compare to the aftershaves from Fine or RazorRock (I dont mean the smell, I mean the alcohol content and the performance).

I have dry skin naturally which is why I have stayed away from alcohol based aftershaves all these years after hearing some vegetarian hippies from California tell me it will dry out my skin and make my face get wrinkles sooner if I use an alcohol based aftershave.

Alcohol splashes are not good for dry skin. I have oily skin and love the astringent properties of them. I like the scent of the dollar spice, but it doesn't last on me as well as the current modern old spice. By far my favorite of this ilk is Avon Spicy.

Alcohol splashes are not good for dry skin. I have oily skin and love the astringent properties of them. I like the scent of the dollar spice, but it doesn't last on me as well as the current modern old spice. By far my favorite of this ilk is Avon Spicy.

Do you feel that even if I rinse off the Alcohol aftershave in 60 seconds that its still not a good idea for dry skin people like me?

Do you feel that even if I rinse off the Alcohol aftershave in 60 seconds that its still not a good idea for dry skin people like me?
I can't answer that really. This is one of those times I wish my dad was still alive. He was a Dermatologist and I'd just call him up and say, "a friend wants to know...." I just know for me, even at my age, I don't get enough that has done any real damage to my skin. I do use moisturizers too, and sunscreen.

It will just dry your skin out a little more possibly. If the aftershave has moisturizersor humectants it may be fine or even help dry skin. Only you will know.

As far as a large sting, it is usually due to an allergy to an ingredient or razor burn. There are some ingredients, usually in bay rums, that will cause a burn that some like on purpose. In the case of an allergy it will still sting or burn even if you didn’t shave. If it’s razor burn, you may be being a little heavy handed on the shave.

I had to stay away from an against the grain pass on my neck as it razor burned each time. No more sting for me.

I pulled it out today again (second use)

Once again it stung like crazy. I left it on for 60 seconds and rinsed it back off then put on Witch Hazel and Stirling balm. One hour later put on facial moisturizer on entire face and neck

I have almost zero experience with alcohol based aftershaves. How does this one compare to the aftershaves from Fine or RazorRock (I dont mean the smell, I mean the alcohol content and the performance).

I have dry skin naturally which is why I have stayed away from alcohol based aftershaves all these years after hearing some vegetarian hippies from California tell me it will dry out my skin and make my face get wrinkles sooner if I use an alcohol based aftershave.

Some artisan aftershaves like Fine and Razorock are basically alchohol mixed with fragrance and water and are mainly intended to be antiseptics. You might look into artisan aftershaves with more skin nourishing/moisturizing ingredients. Barrister’s Reserve, Declaration Grooming, and to a slightly less degree Stirling fit this description. They contain alcohol, but it is more balanced with other ingredients.

My husband really likes the Family Dollar spice aftershave manufactured by Vi-jon. It has become almost impossible to find. We found a similar item from a company called DollarItem. They sell bottles of aftershave called Regatta in the same kind of bottles that the Vi-jon spice comes in. We ordered two 12 bottle boxes which, with a $25 shipping charge, came to about $58. The aftershave smells similar to Vi-jon, a little more soapy and slightly weaker. However, when I smelled my hand later, it actually smelled good and much like the Vi-jon. To perk it up, my husband is going to add a small amount of cinnamon and nutmeg oil. I am not recommending that anyone buy this product. I was quite reluctant to turn over almost sixty dollars to a company I knew nothing about. However, a UPS truck actually delivered the two boxes taped together to our residence this morning. It's something to consider for those who like spice aftershave and don't want to spend $99 for a bottle of "pre-owned" juice.

Top Bottom