What's new

Famex Safety Razor

This is great that the mighty Famex is getting so much love on this thread. It's a very unique and wonderful razor.

*** is that handle? Looks like some kind of WW2 era radio antenna repurposed.

That may have been the inspiration but it actually was produced by the Lutz razor people in Germany..I bought it because of the slant head that came with it..thought the handle was just an oddity... but it actually is a great handle, there is no way to use too much pressure with it... could almost be used as a wet shaving training aid for using no pressure.. I've used it a bunch of times, I love it!!
Actual set it came with:
$Sping Slant 1 005.JPG

Neo-Rubbeset w 26mm tgn Finest 2
Caties Bubbles QCV
Famex head/Griest handle
Personna red Israeli (3)
Tabac
Last shave with the Famex for a bit...Excellent razor, one of the best shaves out there!! First shave with QCV, excellent lather, slick, easy to lather also..Love it , scent reminds me of late 70's homegrown. Great shave and top it off with Tabac... Great Saturday afternoon shave!!
$sotd 10-25-015.jpg

Maybe some instructions might help ;) ? They make clear that the Famex is an adjustable razor (just screw or unscrew the handle to bend the blade more or less and thus make the razor more or less aggressive) and how the head should be mounted.

$Famex instructions.jpg

$Famex.jpg

Thanks to this thread- I was on the lookout and finally got one. What a GREAT razor.
Very neat and cool design. Apparently my razor was patented in 1933 (thanks Quaternion for providing info).

The last weeks I have played around with different blades and virtually all provide superb shaves. This is unusual. When it comes to closeness and smoothness – wow- I thought this was only accomplished with SEs. Once you find you find the correct angle you sure are in for a treat. As for the rather short handle- I like it. I find that my manoeuvrability gets more controlled. This razor gets straight AAs in my book. :thumbup1:

$IMG_1865.jpg$IMG_1863.jpg$IMG_1872.jpg$IMG_1867.jpg

Famex adjusted to its mildest setting with a fresh BIC is still so efficient I was able to skip my usual shave oil touch up after one pass. Vive La France. Piccolo handle, AOS Sandalwood.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I just acquired this razor. I haven't tried it yet but thought others might appreciate seeing it. I know there's a few other photos around of this unusual razor. It's essentially a Famex razor. But with a really nice handle. On the handle it says "Autofix". On the base it says "Soligen", "S.G.D.G." and finally it's "double stamped", one over the other, "Bonsa" and "Famex". I'm sure there must be some kind of interesting history explaining how it came to pass that a razor can appear to be both German and French at the same time!

Famex Bonsa Autofix France Germany Razor 4.JPGFamex Bonsa Autofix France Germany Razor 3.JPGFamex Bonsa Autofix France Germany Razor 1.JPGFamex Bonsa Autofix France Germany Razor 5.JPG

I just acquired this razor. I haven't tried it yet but thought others might appreciate seeing it. I know there's a few other photos around of this unusual razor. It's essentially a Famex razor. But with a really nice handle. On the handle it says "Autofix". On the base it says "Soligen", "S.G.D.G." and finally it's "double stamped", one over the other, "Bonsa" and "Famex". I'm sure there must be some kind of interesting history explaining how it came to pass that a razor can appear to be both German and French at the same time!

View attachment 1035051View attachment 1035052View attachment 1035053View attachment 1035055
That is a nice handle indeed I. I have seen the double stamp Famex before but I don't think we know much more than there were indeed razors distributed with both German and French branding and origin.

What's the threading on the handle ? The French Famex is not 10-32 but interchanges with modern Fatips.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That is a nice handle indeed I. I have seen the double stamp Famex before but I don't think we know much more than there were indeed razors distributed with both German and French branding and origin.

What's the threading on the handle ? The French Famex is not 10-32 but interchanges with modern Fatips.

Hello Jmudrick,
I'm not sure what the threading on the handle is. In fact, I'm not even sure how one goes about figuring that out. Any tips or advice to share? Thanks.

Hello Jmudrick,
I'm not sure what the threading on the handle is. In fact, I'm not even sure how one goes about figuring that out. Any tips or advice to share? Thanks.

Sorry I guess I just assume everyone has a Fatip handy (M4.5x0.75 threading I'm told). My bad :=) . I presume yours is the same as mine. I guess the question is do you have any other handles that fit?

Last edited:
Famex with Rockwell cap, Tibam handle. Rockwell cap enables use of standard thread handles, and modifies disposition of the blade to yield a milder shave than stock. Still effective and very very enjoyable. Suneko (2).
proxy.php

First shave with the RazVite, a 7 tooth version of the Famex. The set included Gibbs type blades rather than the traditional 3-hole so I'm guessing 1938-? . The wider spaced teeth, per the '37 patent, were designed to reduce clogging resulting from the use of brushless creams like RazVite. While the patent envisioned the possibility of flipping the cage both ways, this razor retains the same geometry as my Famex, and the handle will not allow the cage to be flipped.

I started out using a top shim with the BIC blade, imagining this would create a more rigid cutting edge closer to blades typically in use pre-1939, this turned out to be a bad idea, as the compression with the shim ended up distorting the blade in the head (I found out after it was too late) resulting in a number of cuts on my chin. I first swapped the cap for the Rockwell cap and Feather (sans shim) which as expected worked smoothly and milded up the shave. Switching back to the stock cap sans shim it was fine, agressive on its mildest setting but very manageable. After the shim-chin drama a beautiful BBS shave.
proxy.php

Link to 1937 patent:

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom