What's new

Fallen nobility

I have here this English Aristocrat. My guess is it is a No. 22. Unfortunately it is lightly deformed. I think one guard bar (right one on the third photo) is bent slightly down and the center piece bent to the left (on the same photo). Any recommendations for fixing that?
Thanks

Attachments

• A-1.jpg
    A-1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 39
  • A-2.jpg
    A-2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 48
  • A-3.jpg
    A-3.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 48
I have here this English Aristocrat. My guess is it is a No. 22. Unfortunately it is lightly deformed. I think one guard bar (right one on the third photo) is bent slightly down and the center piece bent to the left (on the same photo). Any recommendations for fixing that?
Thanks
Something similar came up recently:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've in the past been able to fix askew vintage Gillette guard bars with a short screwdriver & some slow leverage in the desired direction. The base razor is brass, which is pretty soft. Not exactly rocket science, but the one's I did (at least one Superspeed and a couple Slims, as well as a Fatboy that is still my travel razor) were pretty easy . . I am assuming that under the Rhodium the Brits are cast brass as well.

Thanks
Full stop.

That isn't a $20 superspeed. Send it to Cap or another pro to have it repaired. It's worth it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
If you are feeling up to it have a go yourself but be gentle. If your not up to it contact Cap but he is quite busy and it may take a little while.

I am not that bad a straightening Old Type caps, so I will really try it myself. I will let you know how it went.

R

romsitsa

Hard to judge the problem from one photo. You want to keep the plating intact, so whatever your tool will be, cover it in tape.

Adam

I think it is ok now. Most damage was done to the center piece, which was fixable. One cover is sitting lower on one side, where it had landed (see arrow). I think it is bent and I don't know how apply the force to get it up. Probably this doesn't matter for shaving.

Attachments

• A2-1.jpg
    A2-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 17
  • A2-2.jpg
    A2-2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 18
  • A2-3.jpg
    A2-3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 18
R

romsitsa

Lower part of the T-bar and the end tab are slightly twisted. Arrows mark where to apply force.

A2-2.jpg

Adam

I can do this, but that completely shifts the result in the fully open position. which would requite bending the bar. From the top view I would say the T-bar needs a turn, because it is in contact with the left cover on this side and with the other cover on the other side. But turning is probably rather difficult.

Ok, the photos. I marked the places of impact with a red arrow. I guess it fell on its head, when the doors where partly open. I marked with location, where the door which got the impact looks slightly bent. The white blotch is at the side of the impact and I marked on some photo the side with a black pen.

I think I should first check the bars on the shaving sides.

Attachments

• Impact.jpg
    Impact.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Front_closed.jpg
    Front_closed.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Front_open.jpg
    Front_open.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Side_closed.jpg
    Side_closed.jpg