What's new

Falcon vs. Viking vs. Kirsten vs. Weibe Metal Pipes

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What's your take on metal pipes? I have a few Kirstens, they are OK. How do the above brands compare as to their smoking qualities? Obviously, the Weibe is probably in a class of it's own? Is it significantly better than the others mentioned, other than aesthetics?

I have a couple kirstens, a couple falcons, and one stubby weibe. Funny enough the weibe is my least favorite. Maybe its because it is a stubby. I don't get any difference smoking experience from that of a traditional briar pipe. The kirstens are interesting. I do get a cooler smoke from them but also some flavor changes. Much like a calabash pipe. I'm guessing its from the large chamber the smoke sits in. The falcons are my favorite of the three. I do get a cooler smoke as long as I watch my puffing. They don't seem to alter flavors much if at all. A small piece of a pipe cleaner under the bowl helps soak up moisture.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have several Kirsten’s, several Falcons, one with a Meer lined bowl, and 2 Wiebe’s.

I think Kirsten’s are a marvel of early 20th engineering, Falcons are nice and cheap, and Wiebe’s smoke really dry. Frankly I think they all were made to address the problem of a wet/hot smoke. If your pipes are constantly gurgling and always getting hot any of the three will help with that since they all collect moisture in a reservoir under the chamber that is below the draft hole, and the metal shank does seem to pull heat out if the smoke. If your smokes are mostly dry with a bit of wet dottle and you don’t worry about burning out your briar, the metal pipes are more a novelty/collectors pipe. I personally subscribe to the notion that most flavors are carried to your palate not by the smoke, but by the vapor they accompanies the smoke. To that end if all the moisture is taken out of the smoke before it reaches your mouth flavor suffers. On heavy English blends it’s not a biggie, but maybe an issue on a 10 year aged McClelland Va.

If your Kirsten’s are a ho-hum smoke I think Wiebe’s, and to a lesser degree Falcons, will be similar.

P.s. they are bombproof and make great work/yardwork/golfing pipes.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm not sure that I've smoked my Kirstens enough to proclaim them as ho-hum, just not overtly special. Probably deserves more study. I hope to pick up an estate Falcon and compare the two.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'm not sure that I've smoked my Kirstens enough to proclaim them as ho-hum, just not overtly special. Probably deserves more study. I hope to pick up an estate Falcon and compare the two.

When in doubt just buy one :).

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
As an aside GQ tobaccos usually has a good selection of Falcon Bowls at great prices and shipping at around 12.00.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I smoked one of my vintage Falcons for the first time today, this one had a vintage bowl. Smoked Revelation Match, most enjoyable. I probably should have dried the tobby out a bit more before smoking it. I did not use an adsorbent ring of pipe cleaner in the bottom chamber as it is designed for. The smoke was cool, but I got some tobacco juice and had to use a pipe cleaner a couple of times during the smoke. The pipe is very lightweight of course and would be good for clenching I suppose, but I'm not a clencher. Overall I am favorably impressed with this designs performance based on this first trial. I have another with a new briar bowl and a meerschaum bowl inbound.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I smoked one of my vintage Falcons for the first time today, this one had a vintage bowl. Smoked Revelation Match, most enjoyable. I probably should have dried the tobby out a bit more before smoking it. I did not use an adsorbent ring of pipe cleaner in the bottom chamber as it is designed for. The smoke was cool, but I got some tobacco juice and had to use a pipe cleaner a couple of times during the smoke. The pipe is very lightweight of course and would be good for clenching I suppose, but I'm not a clencher. Overall I am favorably impressed with this designs performance based on this first trial. I have another with a new briar bowl and a meerschaum bowl inbound.

This might be useful...

Top Bottom