What's new

Fake weather reports

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Austin has (or at least used to have) a pretty robust amateur meteorological society that had a web page where you could get real time weather readings from all over the Austin area. I haven’t looked for it for about 15yrs so it may not be around anymore.
Thanks, I’ll check that out.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
True, I don’t think the weather is fake (I just walk outside to see what’s going on) and that’s not my point in this thread. It’s the weather person that you talked about that is giving me fake info that’s all.

Now, if my local weather person told me, “we are using an average of 20 different monitoring services around the city to get an somewhat accurate temperature reading“ I would tend to believe that. It seems in my city they (weather persons) use two of the hottest places in our town to report temps. A military base, and the airport.

The location of the weather stations makes sense, airports and military bases have a need for hyper local conditions where most places do not, also, they are 2 of the most comparable landscapes in most places, basically paved desert. The temperature can vary by distance and elevation and landscape like any other form of weather. Your gear and theirs could both be right. Wunderground has a widespread net because people have/do buy home weather stations that will connect to Wunderground

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The location of the weather stations makes sense, airports and military bases have a need for hyper local conditions where most places do not, also, they are 2 of the most comparable landscapes in most places, basically paved desert. The temperature can vary by distance and elevation and landscape like any other form of weather. Your gear and theirs could both be right. Wunderground has a widespread net because people have/do buy home weather stations that will connect to Wunderground

That’s totally awesome. Now I’ve got to tell the neighbors that I’m going to mount it on their fence. Lol.

The more cynical amongst people here have noted that the law says if the temperature goes above 34c building work must stop to protect the foreign workers they ship in, official statistics show it never does...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
No other job on earth (besides possibly politicians) can be so wrong, so often as a meteorologist and still get paid.
I look at the thermometer outside, take a quick look at local radar and make a judgment call. I'm as often right as the forecast.
A personal peeve is the chance of precipitation percent. This is seldom accurate.
A good friend of mine says "If they say there's a 30 percent chance of rain, that means there's a 70 percent chance it won't".
It's just math, but that mindset makes me feel a little better.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
No other job on earth (besides possibly politicians) can be so wrong, so often as a meteorologist and still get paid.
I look at the thermometer outside, take a quick look at local radar and make a judgment call. I'm as often right as the forecast.
A personal peeve is the chance of precipitation percent. This is seldom accurate.
A good friend of mine says "If they say there's a 30 percent chance of rain, that means there's a 70 percent chance it won't".

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes I want that job.
On the 30% rain issue. I have a detailed weather app I think I paid for that lets me drill down on the % rain to see that the rain is expected say at 3pm so I have a better idea of when it’s coming and not a generic % all day.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The more cynical amongst people here have noted that the law says if the temperature goes above 34c building work must stop to protect the foreign workers they ship in, official statistics show it never does...
That’s about right…

….Not here in Texas.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Looks like weather underground has taken over this role. wunderground.com

I was just going to suggest WU. From a quick search it looks like they have about 15 stations in the general area of Austin, and none of them are located in the airport. Click the ”change station” link and pick one of the pins on the map. Hopefully there is one close to you.

I just checked my location, and there is a station at the hotel I'm staying at.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
OK I logged into wunderground.com. There are a few stations close to my house. So I’m going to compare those based off of what my local media is telling me. To be continued… thanks for the website info.

I've just looked a wunderground, and selected the nearest station to me: it says it's 89F which is 32C. My weather app says 33C, so it's pretty close.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
As was mentioned earlier in this thread there are home weather stations. Good ones are quite expensive. There’s another thread on b&b about these. I’ve had a few cheaper versions over the years and they usually break.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a basic temperature device with an outside sensor so I checked the temp against the weather app I use and it was just one degree different.

Top Bottom