What's new

Fake personna blue/lab blades? or not?

I received a box of personna blue/lab blades from ebay.
I know they have recently changed the packaging, so I wasn't surprised by that, but the inside was a little skeptical.

Looking at photos other people posted, the "personna , super" lettering are at least somewhat legible, or on some blade photos, they are very clearly printed.

But the ones I received, I can hardly call it "legible" Well, I can make out "personna super" but barely. It's as if the ink has smudged off.

I don't know if fake personna blades exists or not, but why would they even try? It sells for $10~11, so they end up with $5~6 in their hands, so I don't know why they would try to duplicate a cheap blade instead of copying more lucrative blades like feather, med prep, etc.

pictures of what I have
$20150522_194230.jpg$20150522_194216.jpg

pictures of what others have posted
$wm_normal_personnanew2.jpg

If it works for you it won't matter especially at that price. However, you have a point.

I haven't actually tried it yet, so I wouldn't know whether its quality is inferior or not because I have nothing compare it to.
I have on the other hand tried med prep, which was a great blade. Maybe if it falls shorts of med prep by a lot, maybe there's something suspicious.

Those are labs. I got mine from a very reputable company and mine have the same writing that is far from perfect. I really don't get a good shave from them. They almost feel like the blades are too thick.

Those are labs. I got mine from a very reputable company and mine have the same writing that is far from perfect. I really don't get a good shave from them. They almost feel like the blades are too thick.

thanks for that. I was worried because the seller I bought it from wasn't totally an established seller like some others. He had positive feedbacks, but not enough to convince me that they are 100% legit.

This topic keeps coming up, Personna just changed their packaging in the last 2 years or so, if you have the white wrappers you have newer stock. This actually comes up so often that even the top youtube shavers are addressing it, here is one from Nick Shaves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIofhq4jRE My favorite Shave Busta also addresses it but I can't remember what specific soap war episode it was in.

This topic keeps coming up, Personna just changed their packaging in the last 2 years or so, if you have the white wrappers you have newer stock. This actually comes up so often that even the top youtube shavers are addressing it, here is one from Nick Shaves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIofhq4jRE My favorite Shave Busta also addresses it but I can't remember what specific soap war episode it was in.

I knew about the packaging, I was mostly skeptical about the illegible printing.

The 100 pack I got from amazon looks just like the OP's. Looks like they changed the wrappers to white paper. The ink and stamp on the blades just doesn't seem to hold up and looks shoddy. Still, I find they shave pretty well 1-3, but they go downhill pretty fast after that.

The 100 pack I got from amazon looks just like the OP's. Looks like they changed the wrappers to white paper. The ink and stamp on the blades just doesn't seem to hold up and looks shoddy. Still, I find they shave pretty well 1-3, but they go downhill pretty fast after that.

They seem to have gone to white wrappers recently to save some cost.
Quality of the print on the blade seem to vary a lot too. I wonder how that's possible if they are all made in one factory with same
quality control protocols, etc.

I read somewhere, here or a review on Amazon possibly, where someone said that they talked to someone at the company who said that the old machine they have that prints on the blades wasn't made to keep up with the rate of production they currently have, I think it said they have plans to eventually replace it, but in the mean time the printing isn't up to the old standard.

Supposedly the other machines that do the more important work, like grinding and honing, are made to keep up with present day production, I hope. I wonder how much production has increased in recent years.

I read somewhere, here or a review on Amazon possibly, where someone said that they talked to someone at the company who said that the old machine they have that prints on the blades wasn't made to keep up with the rate of production they currently have, I think it said they have plans to eventually replace it, but in the mean time the printing isn't up to the old standard.

Supposedly the other machines that do the more important work, like grinding and honing, are made to keep up with present day production, I hope. I wonder how much production has increased in recent years.

Interesting, if thats the case, it must mean they have seen a huge growth in sales recently.

Seems to make sense considering all the new followers of DE shaving vs carts recently, USA quality control, go figure.

I found it. It was a review on Amazon posted March 16, 2015 by "Amazon Customer" for the Personna Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count.

I have a stash of the personna medicals and have noticed that some have clear writing while others are sloppy. I think it's par for the course... looks like they use some sort of "ink" stamping device, so I'm not surprised that they're inconsistent in that regard. I acquired mine from my dermatologist, so I have to assume they're "legit"

I live and work here in U.S.A. in manufacturing.
Things like that happen, sometimes we could care less while working!

Mine have the same inconsistent lettering quality. So either we are all getting fakes or that's just how it is. I agree with BSAGuy; the "profit" margins would be so thin as to be not worth the aggravation.

Top Bottom