What's new

Fake Marukas

First of all, hello to everyone. I have been lurking around for about 2 years on the forums and decided its time to register. I like the vibe and mindset here vs. some of the other forums where everything turns ino a pissing match.

Anyways, shortly after diving into straights, I bought a set of naniwa SS's, well the "new" ones w/o bases. Learned on those and so on and so forth. Then, I bought my first Jnat/mikawa set and I felt like I came out of my box for the first time, with regards to honing.
So, now I have 3 Jnats, all essentially asagi's. All 3 were purchased from members here and are great stones, they are what the sellers indicated. But, as they say, variety is the spice of life. So I have been hunting around for a larger kiita tomo and/or koppa. Poking around on ebay a little i came across a Nakayama kiita asia Maruka. Listed buy the russian guy with the straw mat under his stones and purple shower curtian in the background Perfect! Should be very hard from the deeper strata. It was about a 2x7" stone with a cool karasu pattern in the kawa.

Well now to my point and curiosity.
First off I never bought the stone.
The light bluish violet maruka stamp just looked off, as if it was put on recently with intent to look old. It was even 1/3 wore off(stone use over the years). But then I zoomed in on the honing surface closest to the stamp and I noticed ink on the chamfer. Altho really cool to look at, the history and all, stamps are not why I wanted this stone. But if one is deceitful in that regard, where does it end. Not a path I really cared to start down. Well then I looked at some of this sellers other auctions, and he has a lot of nakayama marukas.

Im not here to dis any ebay sellers, I was just curious and thought maybe those with more experiance with japanese stones could chime in. Maybe I'm was off base with my assesment, who knows.

People seem happy with his hones.. At the prices jnats pull, if he were selling rubbish I figure you would see a lot of forum hissy fits.

I will say that I saw him when he first started listing. I felt the same way you did and watched some really nice looking stones sell for next to nothing. One actually had almost word for word copied from another stone sellers webpage about their stone. Obviously it can't work the exact same and some of it just didn't make sense for his stone based on dimensions. It doesn't mean it wasn't a good stone just might not be exactly what was advertised. Plus I am sure there is a language barrier there too. I still wish I had taken a chance now based on how cheap those early stones sold for. Ultimately when you buy a stone on ebay unless you know the seller you are taking a unknown risk. You just have to decide how much you are willing or able to gamble. Also even if the stamps are or are not real it may have nothing to do with him.

I beleive that particular stone sold for $210. However being skeptical I only bid up to $160. I figured that $210 would be half way or more to a good kiita from a seller I know to be sound. That not to say that that stone wont be a winner it very well may be. But as you stated, its a gamble.

What was more interesting to me was there is another seller with stones very similar on ebay using the same straw mat in the background and very similar descriptions of the stones selling out of Japan. Found his website and emailed him and the email address was in Russian. Then there is also a great seller out of Sweden I have stones from him and they are nice, but I didn't notice till later under his profile he is listed as being in the Russian federation even though everything is listed as Sweden. All three write their descriptions of stones very similar using red and black and descriptions are similar a lot too.

Ok so I the guy with the straw mat supposedly selling out of Japan with the Russian email ships out of Russia not Japan as it says on Ebay.

I won the Hatanaka Iromono from the straw mat and purple curtain guy. Stone was shipped so will see what I get.
Is the guy from Sweden also shipping from Russia? He does have some nice razors.

The Guy from Sweden I think really shipped from Sweden, but under his profile on Ebay it says he is registered as being in the Russian Federation. Let us know how it goes with straw mat purple curtain guy. Someone got a lot of six stones from him and I think it was as described.

Will do. For what ever it's worth the stone shipped from Yaroslavl. I hope it's not a bust.

Actually that is huge info. My stone from the other straw mat seller that is supposed to be in Japan shipped from Yaroslavl. Does he sign his emails YT? I am really wondering if this is the same guy.
Also my stone has the same stamps as the one you got.
ok answered my question. I emailed your guy he signed Aleks not YT.

Last edited:
Ok so after a private conversation with Alex1921 I can say these two sellers are the same person based on the sellers paypal info and where they ship from. Now I still think we will both be happy with what we get. Just very strange business practices. Sweden seller ships from Sweden and different paypal, but still Russian.

As for the stamps on the stone no reason to think they are not legit. They look right, but any stamp on any stone truly means nothing if the stone doesn't perform. I didn't buy for the stamps.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Ok so after a private conversation with Alex1921 I can say these two sellers are the same person based on the sellers paypal info and where they ship from. Now I still think we will both be happy with what we get. Just very strange business practices. Sweden seller ships from Sweden and different paypal, but still Russian.

As for the stamps on the stone no reason to think they are not legit. They look right, but any stamp on any stone truly means nothing if the stone doesn't perform. I didn't buy for the stamps.

Most likely has to do with taxation and/or customs fees. Quite common actually. Especially among business travellers.

Alex you want me to spoil the suprise. It is the same stamps that steve has on his hatanaka iro. No maruka on mine.

Apparently I cannot upload the photo here anyhow. Said an error occurred that it had an unallowable extension. Are jpegs not allowed? I am having issues with this site since the upgrade with photos. Still can't post a photo in conversations. Which is really bad when you are selling something in the b/s/t section and people want more photos.

Top Bottom