What's new

fake astras ?

My x100 came in a tall dispenser box of 20 smaller packs with 5 blades each. The ones I’ve opened so far have the light outlined lettering similar to the second photo you mention. So far so good for me!

Its a slim chance the Astra SP's are fake. You have a much greater chance of getting fake Gillette Silver Blue blades IMO. :eek:

Its a slim chance the Astra SP's are fake. You have a much greater chance of getting fake Gillette Silver Blue blades IMO. :eek:

I concur: who’d fake a sub-$.10 blade?

I realize that manufacturers change packaging, logos, imprinting, etc., and being that most of us are buying foreign-made blades (and a lot of us not very often) sometimes we miss those changes and are alarmed when we get new blades we don’t recognize.

I wouldn’t proclaim “fake” until I saw the results. I received a couple fake Polsilvers in a trade and a couple real Polsilvers in a PIF - the knockoffs were horrendous, but the real ones weren’t that shabby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this came up recently and it appears the markings are etched on rather than stamped. Same blade though.
I've seen a few pics of other PPI blades that have the etching now. So long as their changes don't change the way they make the blades I'll be happy.

Let he who is without sin cast the first rock, and we shall smoketh it

Your link doesn't provide a picture of the blade, just the backside of the bulk box(i.e. 100 blade).

the vendor took down the photos. Here is one from a customer review though. Is this the new etching others have referenced?

Screenshot from 2017-11-22 11-56-32.png

i'm used to seeing this logo.
pic2.png

Last edited:
Yes, your first picture, the outlined words are what my blades look like. Haven’t had issue with them so far (only into my first 5).

Interesting, the two year old Astras I have are also stamped.

Don't know why counterfeiters would use the more expensive route of etching a blade (if it really is etched).

The manufacturer would probably answer you if you contacted them.

I am so very intrigued by this issue of fake blades... the idea of making fake blades seems really odd...

Does anyone have any pictures or samples of fake blades? I would love to see or even find them for sale... not to use, more for novelty

I also want to know if they are fakes. The ones on the left are the new pack that just arrived. I just got it today and haven't tried it yet. I shave my head with these and will test it out tomorrow. My first 2 orders of Astra came stamped on both sides. This new one only has the etching or stamping on one side.

The tiny cardboard packaging that holds the 5 blades are identically, I'm a graphic designer and its a perfect match. The packaging is put together exactly the same, same perforations. There is more glue on the newer blades. The wax paper is pretty much identical as well.

astra2.jpg
SAM_2655.jpg
SAM_2656.jpg
SAM_2657.jpg
SAM_2659.jpg
SAM_2660.jpg
SAM_2662.jpg

PPI seems to have changed their blade markings recently. Same issue with PermaSharp Supers from Turkey, same differences in marking.

The only "fakes" you are going to see are off brand blades (usually from China I think) deceptively labeled as one of the premium blades from PPI. Not enough margin in the deal to go after the lower end of the blade production. It doesn't cost that much less to make a junk blade than to make a good one, they are not something made by hand at low labor cost. All automated machinery, including heat treatment and packaging.

PPI seems to have changed their blade markings recently. Same issue with PermaSharp Supers from Turkey, same differences in marking.

The only "fakes" you are going to see are off brand blades (usually from China I think) deceptively labeled as one of the premium blades from PPI. Not enough margin in the deal to go after the lower end of the blade production. It doesn't cost that much less to make a junk blade than to make a good one, they are not something made by hand at low labor cost. All automated machinery, including heat treatment and packaging.
I received a couple of the infamous Chinese knockoff Polsilvers, unbeknownst to me, during the height of the "fake blade"-crisis a few years ago. I don't think it's as much of a problem nowadays, especially due to the proliferation of blade photos posted by some of our members on the fluff threads (which blade/razor/etc.).

Anyway, off my soapbox, the fake Polsilvers were purchased and passed/traded without necessarily being written off as real deal fakes. I found out the hard way after using a few of what I thought were genuine Polsilvers, writing them off as tuggy mediocre blades until I tried a couple genuine blades from a generous member (@Lightcs1776). I still wasn't extremely impressed, but they were a different beast altogether than the Chinese knockoffs I had before, more like Astra SPs than Derbys - very efficient and long-lasting, but prone to irritation, in my experience, even with a light hand.

Let he who is without sin cast the first rock, and we shall smoketh it

I finally got around to using the updated Astras, they feel just like the old ones. I'm not an expert but they're probably not fakes. If I can find my mini microscope, I will compare machine markings or something :001_302:

Got a few with the new etching in a recently order from WCS so i would agree that it's just a new logo.

Top Bottom