What's new

Fake Astra SP?

Afternoon gents! I am still on my "perfect" blade search after a few years of DE shaving, somehow. I found that between Feather, Wilkinson, Merkur, and Astra SP, so far my favorites have been the Astra. I went to order some online from amazon as normal, and noted in the reviews that either they changed their design, thickness, and sharpness, or these are "fakes". Since amazon seemed iffy, I ordered a batch of 100 from a well revered eBay seller. They showed up and my first shave with them, after switching back from the Merkurs, was rough to say the least. Is there a tell if they are fake? They have faint printing on one side, do seem thinner, but it could just be me and my subconscious after reading the amazon reviews.

After 3 years of DE shaving, I still am working on no nicks during a shave regardless of how many days between shaves it is, videos I watch on technique, etc. Tried a vintage Gillette razor, Weishi, Holy Black Slant, and am mostly content with the Merkur 23c, but the blades I am still searching for...(Oh, and tried LOTS of soaps, and love Stirling.)

Gillette changed their production process not too long ago. They use laser etching instead of ink printing. There seem to be some changes to the blade grind. When people see something unfamiliar, they tend to freak out and think they are being cheated. I am always skeptical of blade reviews on sites such as Amazon. There is also an "echo chamber' effect. Someone "read" or "heard" there were fake blades so they become convinced they were scammed, also. It just spreads from there because no one ever comes back and writes "Oops, I was wrong, these blades are just fine after all."

I got 100 laser etched Astra SP early last year, and then later, 100 printed. I was slightly worried that the printed ones might be fakes, but they felt just as good, and both batches stood up to a 12-shave test.

Good day gentlemen! We can ask each other questions to each other about fakes and originals. We will guess on the coffee grounds, and then spread gossip to each other, as some old women do on benches. But we will never know the truth that we are striving for (or are we not striving for the truth? Maybe our goal is to transfer information from one echo of the camera to another?). If you have doubts about the authenticity, you should write a letter to the manufacturer, and send him photos of the goods. Perhaps the manufacturer will ask you to send him samples of blades. Do it. And when you receive a response from the manufacturer, write to us what it was. I think everyone will agree with me. Regards, Eugene.

Both the ink printed and the laser etched versions are legitimate. The laser etched versions are newer production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both the ink printed and the laser etched versions are legitimate. The laser etched versions are newer production.

+1! This is also my understanding!

Astra SP are top-tier blades for me, so I laid in a good stock!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Didn't intend to spread falsities at all my friends! Appreciate the insight! I'll stick to my Astra SPs...unless someone can recommend something between an SP and a Merkur? I apparently have the most sensitive skin in the universe, even after 3+ years of perfecting my technique, I still end with nicks and or cuts.

Didn't intend to spread falsities at all my friends! Appreciate the insight! I'll stick to my Astra SPs...unless someone can recommend something between an SP and a Merkur? I apparently have the most sensitive skin in the universe, even after 3+ years of perfecting my technique, I still end with nicks and or cuts.

I like Astra SPs also. I have also had good luck with Gillette Silver Blues and Gillette Platinums.

Just to add to this - i just bought 100 Astra SP to top up my old stock and they are solid print, same stylised font as old ones and have blade numbering.

Production date on box is 12/19 and the differences are English Proctor and Gamble wording on back and sides, replacing the Arabic and there is no "Cift Trafi Jilet" on the box front. The layout of the wording "Superior Platinum Double edge" on the box front has changed, as has the "5 blades " wording and logo.

The blade wrapping has "Astra Superior Platinum" running repeatedly through it.

Stylised font is the same on blade and packaging and the blades feel of similar thickness.

Haven't tried shaving with these yet, but my instincts are not shouting fake product or packaging to me - it all feels substantial and all wording is spelt correctly etc.

Astra SP.jpg

Last edited:
Used one of the new Astra SP blades tonight and it was fine - sharp and smooth - I couldn't tell any appreciable difference between my old ones and the new ones.

So I guess it just branding and packaging changes by Proctor and Gamble. The tiny print does say they are made in St Petersburg btw.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

We have another thread talking about the same thing. New Astra branded blade wrappers, date stamped boxes, no Arabic wording, UK P&G address etc.

Top Bottom