What's new

Fair Food

It's Fair season in Florida and my family made our annual visit to the South Florida Fair. This year, the family tried a Donut Burger, a Waffle Burger, a bacon-wrapped corn dog, chocolate covered bacon on a stick, a Boston cream pie funnel cake, and some deep-fried Oreos!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454349904.538387.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454349956.414147.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454349999.344036.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454350288.106607.jpg

UGH!! It seems at fairs these days, vendors are in an arms race to produce the most caloric and artery-clogging fare possible.

I agree with Doc Shavegood and restrict the fair fare to corndogs.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
David:
attachment.php
Last year, the Mrs. and I went to the Louisiana State Fair (this year it's again in Shreveport, LA - 27 Oct thru 13 Nov 16),...and the rides, shows, exhibits, concessions and the like, besides the food was awesome (just throw all your diets out the window: because State Fairs come only once a year)!
proxy.php

We really liked the Crawfish and Crab Boudin
attachment.php
(you eat these sausages [made from a pork or seafood or both rice dressing (much like dirty rice), which is stuffed into pork casings] 'goody's' with saltine crackers),
Brontosaurus size (slow-cooked), Pork Chops
attachment.php
Southern Fried Frog Legs
attachment.php
, and the Pecan Cretes
attachment.php
(can't forget pralines either),...just to name a few. :w00t:

Read More: a) http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/best-food-at-louisiana-state-fair-slideshow.html# b) http://www.statefairoflouisiana.com/
proxy.php
"[The State Fair]...a showcase of talent, [great food,] creativity and inspiration". Katherine Meade

Last edited:
It just gives me a great sense of relief the the donut burgers are fresh and never frozen. Fresh is always better. :lol:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh good Lord...I haven't been to a State Fair in...well, I started to say years but it's been a couple of decades.

Cotton candy and corn dogs was what I used to get at the Tulsa State Fair when I was a kid. Last one I went to was in Dallas and I really didn't do that much food. I may make it a point to go to the Texas State Fair next year and try the fried ice cream.

proxy.php

Just to add to the insanity, the Donut Burger guys had a Philly Cheese Steak Donut Burger and Totchos (nachos made with tater tots) this year!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Whenever I would go to a fair in Florida, I'd have to get canepas, although the frogs legs that Christopher posted look awesome. They remind me of the original Nathan's at Coney Island.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The last time I went to a fair was the Texas State Fair in 1992. I spent most of the time in the Hans Muller tent eating sausage, kraut, and German potato salad while drinking a lot of Spaten Octoberfest. There is something about Oompa music that just makes you want another beer.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The last time I went to a fair was the Texas State Fair in 1992. I spent most of the time in the Hans Muller tent eating sausage, kraut, and German potato salad while drinking a lot of Spaten Octoberfest. There is something about Oompa music that just makes you want another beer.

The last time I went to a fair it was at The Travis County Livestock show and rodeo. More than 20 years ago. All I remember is throwing dimes into shot and beer glasses.

Haven't really seen anything like these foods here. Would like to try some of this stuff, just once mind you. My doctor might thingk otherwise.

I've never drummed up the courage to try a donut burger. I'll eat tripe, tongue, sweetbreads, liver, and haggis. Keep that donut burger away though.

Years ago,my wife and I shared a funnel cake at a music festival on our first date. She let me eat most of it, and didn't run screaming when I ended up with a half pound of powdered sugar smeared on my face.

So, I married her. Keeper!

Top Bottom