What's new

FAIL!!! Should’ve left it alone

The title says it all. Here’s the padauk/maple blank:

BD58BF9F-8E5E-40C1-9260-9AC0B1299223.jpeg 4C12FAC9-C023-4E02-95A9-7176B9528FAA.jpeg

I decided to do just a bit of refining. BIG mistake. I wasn’t paying attention, got a catch and took it just a hair too thin lol. Here’s what I ended up with, the prettiest half of a handle I’ve ever made! I might be able to salvage it for a “double segmented” handle, we’ll see.

A8CE08D3-5D36-4A37-B224-1DA76CF49D2A.jpeg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Jay that will still be a very nice handle ,it is a nice handle:)
Just not the one you originally thought it would be :).
You can send it to me ,I like it .

You could make something like an ebony cup and put it on in place of the original.
Sorry I don't have Photoshop but here's a quick sketch.

20190621_083404.jpg

I had a similar experience with a bowl I was turning. The catch destroyed a large portion of the side, just as I was about finished. It became a trivet for my wife. The brush may not be what you intended, but it is useful, kinda like the trivet. I think it looks quite nice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Make another blank of the same pattern, then re-turn the top half again. Offset the top part so that the colors alternate between top/bottom when you glue them together.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

You could make something like an ebony cup and put it on in place of the original.
Sorry I don't have Photoshop but here's a quick sketch.

That was the first thing that came to mind as I have a bit of ebony, but I decided it would be too dark so I’ll probably go with spalted tamarind. The black lines will contrast with the maple while the lighter color of the wood will contrast with the padauk.
View attachment 992647

I liked the unturned blank best. :001_tt2:

The Umbrella Corp. zombie brush.

I didn’t even think of that until you mentioned it!

Make another blank of the same pattern, then re-turn the top half again. Offset the top part so that the colors alternate between top/bottom when you glue them together.

I have another piece of the blank but here’s the thing, unless that piece is lined up on the exact same axes as the original relative to the dead center of the blank the segments will never line up exactly right. The difference would be very minor but with this color contrast the mismatched segments would stick out like a zit on the end of my nose.

A cup made from one piece of either of the two ones would also look really nice. I think the darker color of the padauk would be the better of the two. But I tend toward predominantly dark colors.

I like the way you made the blank, how did you go about cutting the "triangles" to make the blank? sorry to hear about the issues. At least its part of the fun of the hobby

It happens to the best of us Jay. The good news is that you documented the process and we all got to see how beautiful it was!
Hopefully it was easy enough to make another!
I liked the unturned blank best. :001_tt2:

The Umbrella Corp. zombie brush.
I thought this as well!

A cup made from one piece of either of the two ones would also look really nice. I think the darker color of the padauk would be the better of the two. But I tend toward predominantly dark colors.

That would look nice but I used kiln dried 4/4 lumber which isn’t big enough for a cup. Using another blank would mean the color of the padauk won’t match ans it tends to darken rather quickly.

I like the way you made the blank, how did you go about cutting the "triangles" to make the blank? sorry to hear about the issues. At least its part of the fun of the hobby

8 segments, 360 degrees in a circle. 360/8= 45 degrees per segment BUT that’s an included angle as the segment is cut on both sides. 45/2= 22.5 degrees. Table saw has to be perfectly level because I use a digital gauge that goes on the saw blade which is plum to the ground, not the table of the saw. Set it to to 67.5 degrees (90 - 22.5), ripped a long enough strip of both woods and cut the strips into 4” lengths. Set them on a piece of 2” blue tape to keep them steady, glued both sides of each segment, rolled it up then clamped with three hose clamps. Nothing to it lol.

It happens to the best of us Jay. The good news is that you documented the process and we all got to see how beautiful it was!
Hopefully it was easy enough to make another!

Thanks Dave! It took more time making the blank than turning it. I have plenty of wood for another but I’m going to try making a cup for this one first.

Top Bottom