What's new

Facing our Fears

A couple months ago, with great excitement and some trepidation I purchased a Mühle R41 GS. The razor has a bit of a reputation of testing ones technique. Some love it, some hate it, some get the best shaves from it, others are left bloody and beaten. I didn't know how I would measure against it.

After unboxing and a quiet moment of awe mixed with hesitation, then contemplation, I loaded it with a new feather blade. I wasnt sure what to expect, was I ready to handle such a razor? I had the nerves of a fighter before a match. I went back to my training and followed the steps to a successful shave. Hot shower first, let my bowl and brush soak in hot water. I then made sure to spend time prepping a quality lather, building it slowly, adding water sparingly til I was rewarded with a rich, dense foam. I worked the lather in slow circles on my face til the entire shave surface was snow white. I was ready. I picked up the razor and held it against my face. Adrenaline kicked in, my vision narrowed, and things got blurry. I began. In the heat of the moment, I started to forgot my triaining. I was making rookie mistakes, I started rushing, I didn't rely on proper technique. Then with the first nick my confidence was immediately shook. I wasn't ready. My fight plan changed, I just need to get through WTG. The pass went by in an eternity and an instant at once. I was left with several nicks, a couple cuts, and one slice on chin. The humbling sting of the styptic pencil and red in the sink confirmed what I had just figured out. I wasn't ready. With my face injured and my ego bruised even worse, I conceded defeat and placed my razor in the back of the cabinet.

The next couple shaves were with the most mild Razors only. I had cuts and delicate areas that needed time to heal from a blades touch. Days turned into weeks, weeks into months. The cuts faded, and wounds healed. I eventually went back to some neutral razors and some ATG passes. I started feeling better again. In the back of my mind I knew the R41 was something I needed to face though. I had to confront my fear. I just didn't have the confidence to commit. I had a halfhearted idea of trying again. My second attempt was with no pressure at all. I was still scared. I tried to slide the razor across my skin almost without it touching. Needless to say this did not work either. I had the opposite problem, my lack of confidence had made the razor plucky and wouldn't even shave. I still wasn't ready. I conceded defeat a second time and placed it in the back of my cabinet for another couple of months.

I eventually got a new razor, a titanium Blackland Blackbird and felt my technique improving. The feel of a blade against my skin was starting the feel natural to me now. I was amazed at the results of a positive exposure shave. It inspired the confidence that I had lost many months before. A quote that always struck me is "it's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many time you get back up". One morning I woke up and knew it was time. This wasn't a plan I had made, however sometimes your inner self knows better than the conscious mind. It was something that was spoken to me. Guided by my inspiration I went through my ritual. I warmed my bowl and brush, showered, prepared my soap to a beautiful lather. It was time. I loaded my R41 with a new Astra SP, took a deep breath, and let my training take over. I used soft but commanding pressure and with the first stroke I found it. The confidence was back. I knew I could do this. I went a full WTG pass and all that was left was silky smooth skin. I didn't stop. I lathered again. XTG was next. It went just as smooth, I couldnt believe how close it got. I lathered again. It was time, I was going for it. I finished a full ATG pass. I stepped back, felt the closest shave I have ever gotten, and took a sigh of satisfaction. I was now worthy. Aftershave brought a satisfying slight tingle but no blood in sight. It was done. As I put my tools away, I put my R41 back on the shelf as it's equal. There is no more fear, just admiration for the tool and it's potential, depending on the one who holds it. This is definitely the beginning of a new chapter.

Anyone else have stories of razor redemption?

A couple months ago, with great excitement and some trepidation I purchased a Mühle R41 GS. The razor has a bit of a reputation of testing ones technique. Some love it, some hate it, some get the best shaves from it, others are left bloody and beaten. I didn't know how I would measure against it.

After unboxing and a quiet moment of awe mixed with hesitation, then contemplation, I loaded it with a new feather blade. I wasnt sure what to expect, was I ready to handle such a razor? I had the nerves of a fighter before a match. I went back to my training and followed the steps to a successful shave. Hot shower first, let my bowl and brush soak in hot water. I then made sure to spend time prepping a quality lather, building it slowly, adding water sparingly til I was rewarded with a rich, dense foam. I worked the lather in slow circles on my face til the entire shave surface was snow white. I was ready. I picked up the razor and held it against my face. Adrenaline kicked in, my vision narrowed, and things got blurry. I began. In the heat of the moment, I started to forgot my triaining. I was making rookie mistakes, I started rushing, I didn't rely on proper technique. Then with the first nick my confidence was immediately shook. I wasn't ready. My fight plan changed, I just need to get through WTG. The pass went by in an eternity and an instant at once. I was left with several nicks, a couple cuts, and one slice on chin. The humbling sting of the styptic pencil and red in the sink confirmed what I had just figured out. I wasn't ready. With my face injured and my ego bruised even worse, I conceded defeat and placed my razor in the back of the cabinet.

The next couple shaves were with the most mild Razors only. I had cuts and delicate areas that needed time to heal from a blades touch. Days turned into weeks, weeks into months. The cuts faded, and wounds healed. I eventually went back to some neutral razors and some ATG passes. I started feeling better again. In the back of my mind I knew the R41 was something I needed to face though. I had to confront my fear. I just didn't have the confidence to commit. I had a halfhearted idea of trying again. My second attempt was with no pressure at all. I was still scared. I tried to slide the razor across my skin almost without it touching. Needless to say this did not work either. I had the opposite problem, my lack of confidence had made the razor plucky and wouldn't even shave. I still wasn't ready. I conceded defeat a second time and placed it in the back of my cabinet for another couple of months.

I eventually got a new razor, a titanium Blackland Blackbird and felt my technique improving. The feel of a blade against my skin was starting the feel natural to me now. I was amazed at the results of a positive exposure shave. It inspired the confidence that I had lost many months before. A quote that always struck me is "it's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many time you get back up". One morning I woke up and knew it was time. This wasn't a plan I had made, however sometimes your inner self knows better than the conscious mind. It was something that was spoken to me. Guided by my inspiration I went through my ritual. I warmed my bowl and brush, showered, prepared my soap to a beautiful lather. It was time. I loaded my R41 with a new Astra SP, took a deep breath, and let my training take over. I used soft but commanding pressure and with the first stroke I found it. The confidence was back. I knew I could do this. I went a full WTG pass and all that was left was silky smooth skin. I didn't stop. I lathered again. XTG was next. It went just as smooth, I couldnt believe how close it got. I lathered again. It was time, I was going for it. I finished a full ATG pass. I stepped back, felt the closest shave I have ever gotten, and took a sigh of satisfaction. I was now worthy. Aftershave brought a satisfying slight tingle but no blood in sight. It was done. As I put my tools away, I put my R41 back on the shelf as it's equal. There is no more fear, just admiration for the tool and it's potential, depending on the one who holds it. This is definitely the beginning of a new chapter.

You've shared an outstanding story! Congratulations

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Great story, and really glad the R41 with that last shave went so well. My story is with a Schick E2 -- my experience nearly mirrored yours exactly. I initially rushed it (it sort of looked and felt like a cart razor) and I forgot most of what I had learned with other razors, and the resulting amount of razor burn was stupefying. Every Schick/Eversharp razor is now a general favorite, but the E2 is now my overall favorite model....I'll never be without one.

As a postscript, I will say that I have never taken to the R41 like you have. I am in (what I believe to be) a small minority of folks that just never fell for the R41. I can get a decent shave, but it's neither an overly comfortable razor for me, nor is it a close shave for me. But I am glad it has been redeemed for you!

Great story, and really glad the R41 with that last shave went so well. My story is with a Schick E2 -- my experience nearly mirrored yours exactly. I initially rushed it (it sort of looked and felt like a cart razor) and I forgot most of what I had learned with other razors, and the resulting amount of razor burn was stupefying. Every Schick/Eversharp razor is now a general favorite, but the E2 is now my overall favorite model....I'll never be without one.

As a postscript, I will say that I have never taken to the R41 like you have. I am in (what I believe to be) a small minority of folks that just never fell for the R41. I can get a decent shave, but it's neither an overly comfortable razor for me, nor is it a close shave for me. But I am glad it has been redeemed for you!
I felt like it would be something a lot of people can relate to on the journey. Results that are hard earned mean a lot more!

Straights just require a little more patience and attention to prep. Skin stretching and angle of attack can be huge game changers for a SR beginner. I grab my SR when time permits an extra 10-15 minutes shaving, if not I grab my DE.

It happened to me with the Maggard's slant even after having used the R41 and the Merkur Futur.

I was so afraid of it it even managed to give a nasty cut on one of my fingers. That put me off for the rest of the shave that caused me to be extra cautious to the point of clumsy that also got my lip.

I've had nicks with many razors and irritation with some, like the Futur or MMOC 1st time use, but no nasty cuts like with the Maggard's slant.

I have managed to revisit it but not one of my favorites for sure.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Congratulations!

The R41 was my 2nd razor, the R89 didn't give me the desired super close shave.
Recently I needed a few tries to get used to riding the cap with the Blackbird OC, I usually shave steep.

Lol this is like 50 shades of grey for WetShavers

Congratulations!

The R41 was my 2nd razor, the R89 didn't give me the desired super close shave.
Recently I needed a few tries to get used to riding the cap with the Blackbird OC, I usually shave steep.
R-41 was the very first safety Razir I purchased. I really liked the way it looked and the Mystic surrounding it. Let’s just say I learned very quickly about proper angle and pressure. It was like home alone x100. The first item I ever bought was a Classic Samurai stainless steel Shavette.

proxy.php

Top Bottom