What's new

Facing my fear... Kinda?

SPOILER: There will be plenty of grammatical and syntax errors in the following lines. You've been warned 🤓

So about a month ago (more or less) I received a couple of soaps I had ordered from the UK.
Amongst them was B&M Roam, having read the description of the scent I was really excited to try it out.
Smoke, leather, pipe tobacco? Oh boy that's definitely up my alley, a nice warm winter scent.
Well sadly I couldn't have been any more wrong.
Upon opening the tub I was immediately overwhelmed by a strong and not-so pleasant scent.
Uh... where's the smoke? leather? pipe tobacco? I mean I could smell the smoke but it was more of a burning body scent... the leather?
Maybe a horse's decomposing carcass?
Sadly the main notes were wet grass and dirt.
Of course the notes were included in the description of the scent.
Surely the above notes would be more prominent than the grass and dirt ones...
It is described as a bright and robust scent but in my opinion it's more of a dark, "dirty" but surely robust scent.
The whole "accord" If you can even call it that was a humid-moldy mess.
Reminiscent of a room that hasn't been accessed in decades.
Ok, ok I am over dramatic I know.
But stick with me.
It took me almost a month to get over the emotional trauma and actually gather the courage to try out the soap.
I had read great things about the soft heart base(I forgot to mention this earlier oops?) here on B&B so I wanted to try it.
Had it been any other base It would have been sold it in a heartbeat.
But hey maybe it's the next best thing, the base to beat them all.
The greatest base since sliced bread.
Well not quite.

Now onto the actual performance.
With a name like soft heart I expected the soap to be well.... soft, almost cream like.
But it was actually pretty solid.
It loaded pretty fast with my Omega evo and I am pretty sure I overloaded since it was way too thick at the start of the lathering process and needed tons of water to achieve my desired consistency.
Thankfully the scent was significantly suppressed with the addition of water and I had no problems throughout the shave scent wise.
The lather was plenty of slick even when it was no longer there, the residual slickness was enough to buff or do any pickups If desired.
The post shave left my face feeling hydrated and moisturized, a soap suited for the winter time. It's too much for summer, at least for my face and preferences.
Was it an extraordinary soap?
An otherworldly experience?
Not, not really.
But it was a great soap that gave me an even greater shave.
I guess I shouldn't be that easily influenced from the various reviews :w00t:

Picture of the shave and gear used below.
This whole thread has been an excuse to share my SOTD picture by the way.
You've been punked.

-RR GC .84P JAWS + Ikon OSS handle
-Permasharp #1
-Omega Evo "Gray Stone"
-B&M Roam SS
-TFS Rabarbaro Italiano AS

1630195560342.png

Strong n Scottish was another soap that smelt absolutely terrible to me. I was sent a tub with a razor I had purchased but never managed to lather it. I guess I never really faced my fear :001_rolle

Strong n Scottish was another soap that smelt absolutely terrible to me. I was sent a tub with a razor I had purchased but never managed to lather it. I guess I never really faced my fear :001_rolle
Ah, so is it similar to Strong and Scottish?

Kinda. But SnS is waaaaaaay smokier, the "burning" smell is stronger. Whereas Roam is more on the "moldy" side If that makes sense :letterk1:

Top Bottom