What's new

Facial hair and aging

I've had various versions of facial over the years, from a full beard in my 20's for a few years, to goatees for different lengths of time, from months to years.

About a year ago I tried growing a full beard for about 3 months, and bought all the recommended products- beard wash, oil, balm, brush etc., but my face was just way too dry with a dirty feel to it, and irritated. Even when just trying to grow a goatee, my skin gets red and irritated and feels awful, especially above my lip.

Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe this is the wrong forum to ask this question?

Back in the old days, did you have the dry/dirty feeling thing going on when you had facial hair? I ask because it's possible one of the beard washes, balms, whatever, are what caused the issues.

Go a week without all the beard stuff. Do you still have an issue? I had a reaction to Tabac products. You may be reacting to one or more of the beard products.

Back in the old days, did you have the dry/dirty feeling thing going on when you had facial hair? I ask because it's possible one of the beard washes, balms, whatever, are what caused the issues.

Interesting point. I never used any special product at all with previous facial hair. That dry dirty feeling started in my 40's and I decided the solution was to go clean shaven.

Because of the problems I had, I thought I'd try again and this time use the products to see if they improved my experience, but they did not help much (was using Honest Amish). I had much less beard dandruff, but the skin above my lip and around my mouth still felt very irritated, and my facial hair remained very dry & scratchy, like a scouring pad.

I don't think personal hygiene has ever gone hand in glove with the cultivation of beards. They inevitably attract boiled egg, beer froth, and gravy. I can't understand how women can take any pleasure from kissing them.

Interesting point. I never used any special product at all with previous facial hair. That dry dirty feeling started in my 40's and I decided the solution was to go clean shaven.

Because of the problems I had, I thought I'd try again and this time use the products to see if they improved my experience, but they did not help much (was using Honest Amish). I had much less beard dandruff, but the skin above my lip and around my mouth still felt very irritated, and my facial hair remained very dry & scratchy, like a scouring pad.

From things I've read, as we get older our hairs gets tougher. If our skin gets drier too well that would be the perfect storm for the issues you are describing. I'm 43 and on the days I don't shave my face feels pretty dry and combined with my dense stubble, I'm pretty scratchy. Maybe we just have to shave every day, I don't know :D

I had a full beard in my 20's only to get my tongue used to hair. Now I have a goatee for maintenance...

I've had various versions of facial over the years, from a full beard in my 20's for a few years, to goatees for different lengths of time, from months to years.

About a year ago I tried growing a full beard for about 3 months, and bought all the recommended products- beard wash, oil, balm, brush etc., but my face was just way too dry with a dirty feel to it, and irritated. Even when just trying to grow a goatee, my skin gets red and irritated and feels awful, especially above my lip.

Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe this is the wrong forum to ask this question?
I would try tending your beard without any wash (soap). I personally find that, in the past, when I grew a beard my skin became excessively dry. and soap will only make that worse. As we age our skin tends to dry and it requires more moisture. The beard oils may keep the whiskers moist, but I am not sure that moisture is getting to the skin. As an aside, I always found my beard to be really itchy when it was growing in. Now I just have a handlebar mustache and my wax seems to keep my skin from getting too dry. And where I shave I use ASBs as a post shave.

I have found out that using a gentle hair conditioner (Trader Joe's) is an excellent option for daily wash. Once a week I use shampoo.
Balm: only if unruly hairs.
My skin gets irritated w some oils, esp with scents or tea tree (horrible irritation and diluted).

Top Bottom