What's new

Face v Bowl Lathering

Is there a story on why your father had a tremendous supply of shaving Soap chip-powder?

Yes. In the late 1930s, my father did a renovation for a man who owned barbershops. When the job was finished several cartons arrived at the house. Two cartons consisted of containers of shaving chips or powder. My mother told me that the owner of the barbershops was pleased with the job my father did and sent the package as a gift.

I did some research a few years ago and learned that in the 1920s and 1930s a few companies such as Colgate and Williams made and sold soap powder. Unfortunately, it is no longer made today. However, the Colgate and Williams containers were relatively small in contrast to the containers my father had.

As a kid. I would watch my father shake some powder and put it into a mug, add some water and stir with a shaving brush. He would "paint" my face with the lather on occasion.

When I started shaving in about 1956 I used the same product and used it the same way. What later surprised me was how fast you could make lather with this product. Another benefit was that if you added too much water to the mix all you had to do was add some more powder.

15 years of shaves chips is great.
family history gets lost.
save as much as you can.
the world war 2 generation left so much unsaid.
I wish anyone had passed down their stories.
Yes. In the late 1930s, my father did a renovation for a man who owned barbershops. When the job was finished several cartons arrived at the house. Two cartons consisted of containers of shaving chips or powder. My mother told me that the owner of the barbershops was pleased with the job my father did and sent the package as a gift.

I did some research a few years ago and learned that in the 1920s and 1930s a few companies such as Colgate and Williams made and sold soap powder. Unfortunately, it is no longer made today. However, the Colgate and Williams containers were relatively small in contrast to the containers my father had.

As a kid. I would watch my father shake some powder and put it into a mug, add some water and stir with a shaving brush. He would "paint" my face with the lather on occasion.

When I started shaving in about 1956 I used the same product and used it the same way. What later surprised me was how fast you could make lather with this product. Another benefit was that if you added too much water to the mix all you had to do was add some more powder.

Attachments

• 3E61B457-4855-4C9C-8F74-318F821EA689.jpeg
    3E61B457-4855-4C9C-8F74-318F821EA689.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 14
I've actually been dabbling in simply lathering out of the soap container vs scooping out some soap into a seperate bowl. Kinda nice having one less piece of equipment to rinse after shaving and I get just as good results doing it this way if not better

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have been attempting to make lather in a mug, abject FAILURE! Face lather for me

• Haha
Reactions: Anu
If you have sensitive skin I suppose bowl lathering would be an obvious choice.
I love the scrubby, scritchy feel of face lathering, so that's what I do.
Well, it depends, being inherently vigorous it might act as prep. I found it to be beneficial to me, synth brush though.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well, it depends, being inherently vigorous it might act as prep. I found it to be beneficial to me, synth brush though.

Yep. Different strokes I guess.
I like face lathering, but I suppose it goes without saying that if face lathering irritates your skin, you probably ought to bowl lather. I definitely do NOT have sensitive skin.

Yep. Different strokes I guess.
I like face lathering, but I suppose it goes without saying that if face lathering irritates your skin, you probably ought to bowl lather. I definitely do NOT have sensitive skin.
Clearly different strokes for different folks ! Tried bowl lathering and found it inefficient time-wise, the time it took me to load and lather the bowl could have been spent on face lathering and as said provide some prep in the process. Face lathering all the way !

I’m pretty green but I’ve tried both and face lathering works best for me. Using a bowl is just more mess and I haven’t seen a significant difference. Ask me in a year and I’ll probably give you a completely different answer. 😉

I picked up a vintage Surrey Boar yesterday for $5.00 -- the handle had a few hairline cracks but the knot was solid (looked big enough to be 24mm, but likely a well-packed 22-23mm), soft to the touch, and lost no hairs when flexed. After a wash/soak with Dawn, a shampoo, couple of test lathers/rinse with VDH Luxury, I used conditioner on it. When bought, it had a nice compact bulb shape, but once wet it looked pretty wonky so I set it on the sink to dry. As if by magic (no doubt free of all the old soap in it), the knot dried and bloomed/fanned out magnificently overnight to nearly twice the size as before. The tips are finely split and it's as soft as a badger but with twice the backbone; it was perfect this morning for an exfoliating Face Lather, but it would also do well with a bowl if needed.

Top Bottom