What's new

Face v Bowl Lather

There's no trying. Whatever you slap on your face just shave with it. That's what everyone does. Do you think people who don't have the will to wash a bowl for 15 seconds invest much effort in face lathering to perfection? Nope. Razor technique is where everyone's focus is at.

Keep at it and your process will improve with time.
Actually, a well hydrated lather improves how a straight razor performs. So, it does matter.

I face lather about 70% of the time. When I bowl lather it’s with a Captains copper bowl. It’s so beautiful I use it out of guilt. But I must say, the ridges in the bottom are a game changer. I find myself bowl lathering back and forth as much as I do in circular motions. With regular bowls without ridges, it takes so long it isn’t even worth it to me. I love the exfoliating feel if face lathering but I find it interesting when guys talk about doing it so they don’t have extra cleanup. It literally takes me 15 seconds to clean and dry my Captains bowl. ‍♂️

Scuttle for this guy 100%. Even when I travel, I carry a scuttle (and I travel 1 week out of every 4). I hate being cold. Hell I don't even drink cold water. I have found that the technique I learned to hand whip cream a half century ago still produces the finest later. And yes... even in the brutal heat of our Phoenix summers, I still use a scuttle with HOT water.

I used to bowl lather exclusively. Recently I started face lathering my soaps. I find it way easier to build a lather. I still bowl lather creams.

Face lather, all the time. I puck lathered for 25 years before I found B&B. It was the way my dad did it and I never thought there was any other way. After learning about bowl and face lathering I tried it both ways, but I found I got better and more consistant results face lathering. Appearence can be decieving, but the tactile feedback from face lathering tells me precisely when it's ready.

I would say it is somewhat both for me. I get what I think is enough soap in the brush from the tub, transfer to bowl, building more, then fine tune (building more) on my face. Unnecessary, I'm sure, but I enjoy doing it.

I bowl/scuttle lather most of the time. I do face lather when using shave sticks for travel. I prefer bowl lathering a lot more than face lathering, but it feels like I'm cheating if I bowl lather with a shave stick.

I'm definitely in the bowl lathering camp. I'm sure why but I have an bit of an aversion to face lathering. However, I have no problem putting a straight razor to my throat or applying lather to my face with a brush. Go figure.

Bowl lathering has not benefits for me. It doesn't help to hydrate the beard, it tends to give an airy lather, and it increase the amount of objects in the bathroom.

I full understand the use of scuttles, but scuttles would be more effective, if they were used as brush/lather warmers only. Basically, only make the opening wide enough to hold the brush with lather in it. Ideally it would have an insulating cover that slides over that allows the brush handle to sit out, but keeps the lather from cooling.

Face lathering all day every day.

I do both depending on the soap. However, I'm currently face lathering 90% of the time. It's fun and I generally minimize my shaving kit because I shave at the gym 5-6 days per week.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Bowl lathering has not benefits for me. It doesn't help to hydrate the beard, it tends to give an airy lather, and it increase the amount of objects in the bathroom.

I full understand the use of scuttles, but scuttles would be more effective, if they were used as brush/lather warmers only. Basically, only make the opening wide enough to hold the brush with lather in it. Ideally it would have an insulating cover that slides over that allows the brush handle to sit out, but keeps the lather from cooling.

That's a lot of face lathering. Doesn't it dry your skin?

I split the difference and face lather but use a brush scuttle to keep my lather warm between passes. My brush scuttle isn't big enough to build a lather, and is small enough that a fully loaded 26mm brush creates a suction strong enough to pick the inner bowl up out of the outer bowl lol.

Works great.
I’m with you on that - fwiw, a stainless steel bowl takes the heat transfer faster than anything I’ve found.

Top Bottom