What's new

Face v Bowl Lather

This isn't about a court case, I'm curious about how people feel about face lathering versus bowl lathering. The bowl category includes scuttles. I used to be an insistent face latherer, but now I'm leaning toward scuttles and bowls. How do folks justify one over the other?

I justify the bowl because I'm a newbie and can't get a good face lather going. I can make a nice lather in the bowl though so I just do it

I started off using a bowl and then went to a scuttle and did this for over 50 years. About five years ago I tried face lathering and liked it. Now I face lather about 90% of the time. I found that I could see and feel the slickness of the lather when I put it on my face. An added benefit was that cleanup was faster since there was no bowl or scuttle to clean.

I split the difference and face lather but use a brush scuttle to keep my lather warm between passes. My brush scuttle isn't big enough to build a lather, and is small enough that a fully loaded 26mm brush creates a suction strong enough to pick the inner bowl up out of the outer bowl lol.

Works great.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.jpg

Generally I bowl lather with the big boar brushes when I want to zone out, relax, listen to some podcasts or music. I face lather when I just want to shave and not deal with cleaning. It's what I did when I shaved out of necessity.

Most of my shaving during summer in the garden is with FL. Now indoors in the winter it's almost exclusively BL. Not sure which will suit me best with MWF during FFFMM 2019, but I'll give both a go.

I'm a cold water shaver, so I don't have a scuttle.

I like to bowl lather. I heat the bowl up in a sink of hot water and the warm lather it makes is nice. I’ve tried face lathering thinking it would save some time, but I really Think it doesn’t matter. If I’m in a hurry, I just grab the tube of Cremo.

I'm working on finding something of a 80/20 split, I guess. I have a bowl and most always start my lathering in it. But I echo ackvil's sentiment regarding the feeling of face lathering--I like the feel of the brush doing its thing, and the sensation of the slickness building. Once I whip up a little more in the bowl I know I'm good for my subsequent passes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I noticed watching this video that he does a somewhat hybrid version. He's got a scuttle going, but if that's not face lathering I'll eat my brush supper when I get around to it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I noticed watching this video that he does a somewhat hybrid version. He's got a scuttle going, but if that's not face lathering I'll eat my brush supper when I get around to it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

That's classical bowl/scuttle lathering. Of course you need to apply and work-in the lather on the face. Notice he goes back to the scuttle for each pass.

I prefer bowl lathering and lather that way at least 90% of the time, but I like face lathering enough to do it sometimes.

Best of both worlds. I call it face lathering when I use Arko stick, just rub it on and go to town with my brush, very efficient. I do soak my brush in a bowl and on the occasion I use a cream I swish the cream around for a good 10 seconds or so before I hit my face with it and mainly lather on my face. Currently I have a puck of VDH Luxury going with a stub end of my Arko on top and do the same basically load the brush on top and go to town on my face.
I never spent a lot of time working lather up in a bowl, I am not shaving the bowl. I enjoy working up the lather on my face.
That’s my practice and I am sticking to it.

I'm a cold water shaver and I face lather. I found I build a better lather on my face and it is one less thing to clean at the end of the shave.

I started out just bowl lathering but now I enjoy using a shave stick to face lather. I use a stick about 70% of the time and bowl lather 30% of the time.

Started out face lathering. I decided I needed more shaving paraphernalia so I bought a bowl, which became bowls... Now I only build lather in an olive wood bowl. For me, it's easier to get everything right. I also scoop soap out of the tub to know how much I'm using each shave! I have control issues...

Top Bottom