What's new

Face Steaming was my game changer - What was yours?

I have only been wet shaving for 5 months, but already tried quite some different tools, brands and techniques. Some have a visible impact on performance, some don’t. But, on more rare occasions, we find that one thing that makes so much difference that it changes the entire game. Some of us even find more than once. For some people it’s a simple blade, for others it’s a soap brand, a technique, etc, etc, etc.

Despite my short experience, I already found something that reshaped my wet shaving. For me, that thing was steaming my face as a pre-shave routine. It blew me away, as simple as that.

But let me explain why it was so good. I started by trying the hot towel method. It didn’t go smoothly, at all. I tried applying it for different times, from 30 seconds to one minute and a half. It’s not appropriate for me, the shave was uncomfortable, especially on the ATG pass. It felt I was shaving with a broken bottle. The post-shave was also bad, with quite some irritation. The alum block was a quick visit to hell. And I changed variables, one at the time. I changed blades, used pre-shave products before/after the towel (such as proraso white), soaps for sensitive skin, etc. Nothing seemed to work.

I got tired of the hot towel and I moved on to the hot shower before shaving. It was definitely an improvement. The pass ATG was better, but still a bit uncomfortable. There was a bit of irritation, alum block was stingy, but not as much. Again, I switched one variable on each shave, to try to find what was the cause of my mediocre shaves.

I started blaming the blades, with the hope that one day I would find a suitable one for me. I tried many brands, some a bit better than others, but I found none that gave me pleasure when shaving. The following thought was starting to pop up in my head: “So, this is the famous wet shaving?! Meh”.

One day, I read something about the importance of steam and what it does to the whiskers. And I researched on that. I read about quite some people saying their best shaves were after the sauna. That intrigued me and I planned my next experiment. This time, steaming my face was the only variable to be changed. There was no special device involved. I simply boiled water on a kettle, poured it on a container, covered my head with a towel (so the steam doesn’t “escape”), and stayed there for 6 minutes, at a safe distance from the water. I read that some people put their faces way too close to the water and burned their faces.

I couldn’t believe the shave I had. I was using a blade that I hated during the previous shave, and I was amazed by how I was enjoying it now. That blade is actually on my top 3 now (Permasharp super). It was like cutting butter in the summer… with a samurai sword. After that, I came back to the beginning of my experiments and I started to try all the same blades, creams, brushes, etc, again. Some things that I hated before, just feel great now. And there’s not even a tiny red spot after the shave, no irritation at all, the alum block is walk on the park.

I am having shaves out of this world, not only extremely close, but also very pleasant. I am glad I didn’t quit and found something that solved my problem.

I am curious to know if you guys had something that had such a big impact, just like the steam had for me.

Cheers,
Ricardo

As always you have to do what works for you but like the fights I have seen between shavers about having a cold or hott shower or face wash in the end both don't do anything for the skin nor the whisker just more of a preference and custom placebo effect. As far as steam well I only unintentionally tried it once when I was sick and read that breathing in eucalyptus oil in steam would help alot and then shaved but honestly it was the same type of shave tho I always use preshave when I'm not impeded by time or situations. I will try it again in the winter tho for sure as it's too warm in NYC for me wanting to test it out. The only thing I can think of maybe is it allows more water in the whisker saturating it more but how much that is versus a simple shower and pre wash soak before shaving I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I quite like steaming, myself.

Care has to be taken to not burn yourself, though. Inhaling steam that is too hot can injure your lungs over time. Bumps to the water container can easily send splashes of dangerously hot water up to your face (and eyes). I keep my eyes closed when I steam as they are much more easily damaged than the rest of my face.

Also make sure to use a container with poor heat conductivity, like plastic. A metal bowl will become very hot and create risk of a fumble - dangerous with hot water near your face.

For me it was the DE razor.

Id rather a de and can of foam than a nice brush and soap and a cartridge.

Cartridges just didn't agree with me.

Witch hazel has been a wonderful find for me. Even if ive had a great, irritation-free shave, the witch hazel calms the skin immediately. It is great after I’ve had a not so good shave, reducing inflammation and irritation.

I must've gotten lucky. After a very rough first couple of shaves and a few weeks (felt like Freddy Krueger for a week), I pretty quickly found what works for me. Mainly by reading through this and some other forums. Major pieces just clicked in place.

I started shaving in March, now it's just a well working routine, which I sometimes break by changing to a different blade or razor.

Here's the list of my "major pieces". I'd say every one of them was a game changer in that it covered an essential part of shaving.

Equipment and Stuff
  • Arko soap. The very first soap I bought (based on great forum reviews) and don't see how anything can perform better. Good lather is essential for shaving and that's what it does, effortlessly.
  • Astra SP blades. Again, I ordered them based on what I read on forums. There are somewhat better blades out there (e.g. Feather) but ASP is one consistently reliable blade that I can buy in bulk and use for a week and always rely on for getting clean, irritation free shave.
  • Witch Hazel. I am using Dickinson's just because it's cheap and readily available. It really helps with preventing irritation, is way cheaper than the medicated cream I used before, and far less messy.
Technique
  • I learned the hard way to never skip on taking a shower before shaving. My stubble is wire hard and my skin is very sensitive and a hot shower helps to mitigate this.
  • No pressure applied, at all. A big part of my initial shaving problems had to do with applying some pressure, even if I didn't realize that. Letting the razor do the work for you is essential. (For me, using a heavy razor like Parker Variant really helped with not using any extra pressure at all, my fingers were applying that extra force to just holding the razor).
  • No aftershave. I love AS but I found that using it increased the chances of slight irritation and "skin tightening" sensation, regardless of which one I tried. I now use Nivea post shaving balm instead, no fragrance but it makes my face feel pampered.
  • A cold rinse after shaving and before applying witch hazel, really helps with calming my skin down.
It the combination of these factors that was the "game changer", I don't think I can eliminate any single one of them without running into problems.

I am not listing stuff like razors and brushes because that's (a) self-explanatory and (b) any good brush and any good razor would work for me if I keep doing what I am doing.

Witch hazel has been a wonderful find for me. Even if ive had a great, irritation-free shave, the witch hazel calms the skin immediately. It is great after I’ve had a not so good shave, reducing inflammation and irritation.
That's something I want to try as well! But witch hazel is not the most popular thing in most European countries, so it's not that easy to get. But I am using something that I am really enjoying: I put a bit of aloe vera gel in the freezer an hour before starting the shave. After that, I throw one or two drops of eucalyptus essential oil. It's very refreshing and calms down the skin.

I must've gotten lucky. After a very rough first couple of shaves and a few weeks (felt like Freddy Krueger for a week), I pretty quickly found what works for me. Mainly by reading through this and some other forums. Major pieces just clicked in place.

I started shaving in March, now it's just a well working routine, which I sometimes break by changing to a different blade or razor.

Here's the list of my "major pieces". I'd say every one of them was a game changer in that it covered an essential part of shaving.

Equipment and Stuff
  • Arko soap. The very first soap I bought (based on great forum reviews) and don't see how anything can perform better. Good lather is essential for shaving and that's what it does, effortlessly.
  • Astra SP blades. Again, I ordered them based on what I read on forums. There are somewhat better blades out there (e.g. Feather) but ASP is one consistently reliable blade that I can buy in bulk and use for a week and always rely on for getting clean, irritation free shave.
  • Witch Hazel. I am using Dickinson's just because it's cheap and readily available. It really helps with preventing irritation, is way cheaper than the medicated cream I used before, and far less messy.
Technique
  • I learned the hard way to never skip on taking a shower before shaving. My stubble is wire hard and my skin is very sensitive and a hot shower helps to mitigate this.
  • No pressure applied, at all. A big part of my initial shaving problems had to do with applying some pressure, even if I didn't realize that. Letting the razor do the work for you is essential. (For me, using a heavy razor like Parker Variant really helped with not using any extra pressure at all, my fingers were applying that extra force to just holding the razor).
  • No aftershave. I love AS but I found that using it increased the chances of slight irritation and "skin tightening" sensation, regardless of which one I tried. I now use Nivea post shaving balm instead, no fragrance but it makes my face feel pampered.
  • A cold rinse after shaving and before applying witch hazel, really helps with calming my skin down.
It the combination of these factors that was the "game changer", I don't think I can eliminate any single one of them without running into problems.

I am not listing stuff like razors and brushes because that's (a) self-explanatory and (b) any good brush and any good razor would work for me if I keep doing what I am doing.
That's a good combination of equipment and technique in my book as well. The good reviews on forums don't always work for me. The Astra SP are the perfect example. There are so many amazing reviews all over the internet, but they're really not for me.
Regarding your soap, I also like it a lot. But recently I tried something that became my number one soap. If I may make a suggestion, give a shot to Haslinger with sheep's milk. Best lather I ever got.
Cheers

Shower shaving was my game changer.
More heat
More water
More steam
Softer beard.

The cold shaving thing seems nuts to me.
I tried it, but it's not my thing. For me, a shower is something that should be done in a fast way. And I like to take my time shaving. So, to me, it doesn't feel right combining both.

No one single thing, actually. Maybe lots of little things added together such as OC and better soaps. It took a while to transition to soaps that cost more than ten bucks, for example.

I used to love the barber wrapping my face with a hot towel before and after a shave.
The steaming bit sounds wonderful....once in a while.

Great post!! ‘Traditional WET shaving’ emphasizes the importance of hydration!!

For me, the ‘breakthrough’ was recognizing that ‘NO pressure’ means NO PRESSURE! :a29:

For me, two things have been a revelation. The first thing was to dampen my beard between passes. That has resulted in a smoother shave for me. The next thing was to use a moisturizer on my face at night.

That's something I want to try as well! But witch hazel is not the most popular thing in most European countries, so it's not that easy to get. But I am using something that I am really enjoying: I put a bit of aloe vera gel in the freezer an hour before starting the shave. After that, I throw one or two drops of eucalyptus essential oil. It's very refreshing and calms down the skin.
Cold aloe does sound good!

For me, the ‘breakthrough’ was recognizing that ‘NO pressure’ means NO PRESSURE!
Hear! Hear!
Having your face steamed is a very nice and enjoyable bonus, but mastering technique is essential.
Enjoy your shaves, and thanks for reminding me of steaming @Gambuzino. I will revisit hot steam over this weekend when there'll be more time for leisurely shave.

Top Bottom