What's new

Face steamer ?

I think most people would agree that spending hours in the bath house, steam room or sauna prepares your face for shaving like nothing else and even a $1000 worth of shaving paraphernalia would not give you a more close, comfortable and enjoyable shave. A bathhouse is a place to get the ultimate perfect shave if there is such a thing.
A quick shower is good but just does not compare to hours spent in the steam room.

I was in Target the other day and saw a product called Facial Sauna System (or Steamer) that has a cone structure you put your face in and the generated steam will open up the clogged pores, get rid of blemishes and provide a multitude of other CLAIMED benefits

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_3/601-3400893-5895311?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B00005A9WP

It occurred to me that this might serve as a great way to prep your face for shaving. Has anyone tried a face steamer in this way and do you guys think it might be a good idea to try?

The toughest spot in my daily shave is my neck, and it doesn't look like this would cover that area. I'm sure it would be great for the face though.

That's a good idea. I actually have a face steamer lying around, it's a lot like the one you linked to in the first post. I'll break it out tomorrow and try it.

I'm not sure how helpful my experience will be to you though, considering this will be my second DE shave and I have very little basis for comparison, but I'll let you know how it goes all the same.

After a disasterous attempt at steaming my face with a basinful of boiling water and a towel over my head (there's a thread about it somewhere) I invested in a facial steamer and must admit that it works very well as part of my pre shave preparations.

AJS said:
After a disasterous attempt at steaming my face with a basinful of boiling water and a towel over my head (there's a thread about it somewhere) I invested in a facial steamer and must admit that it works very well as part of my pre shave preparations.
Wasn't that the one entitled "NEW England Steamed Dinner?":lol:
Glad you lads like these things. I find hot towel is adequate on a daily basis, but maybe this is what the weekends need? Hmmmm...:ihih:

I have read that it is not a good idea to use a facial steamer if you have broken facial capillaries.
Sue

I can't believe that applying steam directly to the face could be healthy. Too much and you could get a nasty burn. I'll stick with towels for now.

Randy

Here's what I've found after trying out my face steamer (to be taken with many grains of salt considering how new I am to all this):

First of all, actually using it as a face-steamer didn't seem to have any advantages over splashing hot water, except that it uses less than an ounce of water to do the job rather than just running the tap.

The use I did come up with for my steamer, although not useful enough to justify buying one, was as a makeshift water heater. I took off the face shaped attachment, put some water on the steamer and when it began to steam I put my bowl of hot water with my brush soaking in it on top. It got it so hot that when I took the bowl off and put it on my counter, the water vapor from my recent shower began to sizzle. It helped tremendously with the lather as well. What didn't work so well, however, was putting my bowl full of lather back on the steamer after I lathered up the first time to "keep it nice and hot". What actually happened was that all the lather I had disappeared. Oh well, live and learn.

Overall I wouldn't recommend going out and buying a steamer, but that's just my two cents.

Top Bottom