What's new

Face Mask Causing Irritation

I'm having problems with skin irritation from wearing a face mask. There is even a name for this phenomena, which is called "maskne".

Here's how I'm dealing with it. I make sure that I thoroughly rinse my mask after washing it with hot water and soap. (I wash it after every use per experts' recommendations.) I have switched from being a daily shaver to shaving every other day. I'm moisturizing my face with Cerave AM/PM lotion. This product has niacinamides, which are recommended by dermatologists to help clear up maskne.

Are any of you having any similar problems? How are you treating it?

I'm happy to know from the lack of responses that no one reading this forum is experiencing any mask-related skin irritation. I guess I'm just an overly sensitive guy.

20+ yrs wearing mask every day and thank God no issues. But I shaved my head 2 yrs ago and I will get some skin breakout now if I wear a cap too long. Apply a mix of witchhazel + alcohol+ aspirin every day, well twice and all is good

I'm having problems with skin irritation from wearing a face mask. There is even a name for this phenomena, which is called "maskne".

Here's how I'm dealing with it. I make sure that I thoroughly rinse my mask after washing it with hot water and soap. (I wash it after every use per experts' recommendations.) I have switched from being a daily shaver to shaving every other day. I'm moisturizing my face with Cerave AM/PM lotion. This product has niacinamides, which are recommended by dermatologists to help clear up maskne.

That stinks, man, must be frustrating. How long to you have to wear a mask on the typical day? I used to get breakouts from my helmet in sports, so I know any kind of contact irritation can cause that, even if for only a few hours a day.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Im having issues in the nose area. I wear a mask 13hrs a day, and amd getting a lot of white heads arount the creases of my nostrils.

is there a reason for wearing a mask?

I follow Covid recommendations to wear a mask when in public. By the way, I visited my dermatologist for a skin cancer check, and he recommended using Cerave Itch-Relief cream/lotion with pramoxine. That seems to be working pretty well since my visit three weeks ago.

Groaner Joke Warning:

"Excema is eczema that has been successfully treated.

Depending which mask you have to wear....
If possible switch to cotton
Wash it regularly without softner / dryer sheets and make sure to use as less soap as possible or give it an other cycle without soap.

Some of the paper masks contain plastic foils and coatings for waterproofing and might contain other process or storage chemicals.
Try a different brand
Air the mask 24h prior to using
Masks saturate so you should not wear 1 mask all day
If you absolutely have to reuse them (which is not so smart) air them 48hrs. But it will catch molds in the end.

You can buy disposable surgical-style masks now. They are plentiful, inexpensive, and there's no shortage.

Whatever soap you are using could be irritating your skin. I have been using a surgical mask and cleaning it in isopropyl alcohol in a sealed jar (like a handheld dry cleaner, swirling it around in the alcohol), then letting it air dry.

Synthetic fibers will work best as a filter medium because the fibers develop an electrical charge with a little friction (like rubbing the mask between your fingers a little bit after it has dried), so cotton would not be my preferred choice.

This article seems to have some good advice. The bit about folliculitis might be relevant, depending on where you are having breakouts:

I use Stridex pads formulated for sensitive skin every day, and it helps prevent getting ingrown hairs, and salicylic acid in general is going to help with exfoliating the skin, which should reduce breakouts over time.

Last edited:
The only problem I have wearing a mask is that if I’m not clean shaven, as I talk the stubble pushes the mask down my face and I have to keep pulling it up.

I can’t wear a cotton mask, I can’t breath through it. I get lightheaded and have to sit down and stop all activity. Then I get a headache from it. But, that’s just me. I’m sure it’s all in my head.

Perhaps you're sensitive to the material the mask is made from?
You may be right. I switched to a two-layered cloth mask that seems to be less irritating to my skin.

Attachments

• IMG_5684.jpg
    IMG_5684.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 11
Been wearing them here for almost a year when outside the home, very few issues other than some of the disposable ones cannot shape right over the nose so my glasses fog up, which is irritating(!) No problems breathing even with cotton ones. I do find if I haven't shaved it is a bit prickly but that's my fault for not shaving. I cannot imagine what it's like with a full on beard.

I work in a manufacturing environment where I have to wear a mask 8 hours a day. Its not, so you sweat a lot and I sometimes get more acne than normal from it but nothing that Id be worried about.
I have a beard though, so my mask probably doesnt touch my face as much as it does some people. Then again though, my mask probably also mashed my beard hairs into my face, so its probably a break even prospect. I mean, I comb my beard every morning before I go to work and by the time I get home, my beard looks like a bird's nest, to where I sometimes contemplate why I comb it at all. LOL
I would say that you probably just need to step up your face washing routine and maybe considering going to a natural or sensitive laundry detergent.

You may be right. I switched to a two-layered cloth mask that seems to be less irritating to my skin.

I ran into this informative article in the NYT today that is about "Maskne"

The only problem I have wearing a mask is that if I’m not clean shaven, as I talk the stubble pushes the mask down my face and I have to keep pulling it up.

I can’t wear a cotton mask, I can’t breath through it. I get lightheaded and have to sit down and stop all activity. Then I get a headache from it. But, that’s just me. I’m sure it’s all in my head.
Try to get ffp1/2 duckbil or better coffee filter type masks. For me much better they stay put when I talk much to my patients.
If they have a metal with foam nosepiece it is also better closing.
Some brands of iir surgical masks are larger also helps.
Masks with rubber bands behind the head are less convenient but they stay better.

Years and years of wearing them....but change they often....

Try using the mix of alcohol/witchhazel/caffeine, or one of those acne salicylic pads to clean the area a couple of times and CHANGE masks....

Top Bottom