What's new

Face Lathering?

Don't expect to get it perfect the first time, experiment a bit. Every soap is a little different as far as how much water it needs, how long it takes to lather, etc. Don't whip air into your lather, though.

You might benefit from building your lather in the palm of your off-hand. You can see and feel the lather very well. Then, go on to face lather after a few experiments.

You could experiment with the Marco Method. Instead of loading a lot of soap and then gradually adding water. You start with a brush full of water and add soap until the mixture is right. Either way abundant soap + abundant water = lots of lather.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I load the damp brush and then spread the thick paste over my beard area. Then I repeatedly dip the tips and lather away until the consistency is right. If using a synthetic brush then I would start with it being barely damp as they can release water in an uncontrolled way. Be prepared to sell your lathering bowls because face lathering is fantastic and feels great. 👍

I noticed that a lot of face lathering is actually loading on the puck quite heavily and finishing on the beard area. Building the entire lather on the face is hard to do (though with cream it can be done in my experience).

I load the damp brush and then spread the thick paste over my beard area. Then I repeatedly dip the tips and lather away until the consistency is right. If using a synthetic brush then I would start with it being barely damp as they can release water in an uncontrolled way. Be prepared to sell your lathering bowls because face lathering is fantastic and feels great. 👍
You are absolutely correct, probably will never bowl lather again

You are absolutely correct, probably will never bowl lather again
Great job! Honestly, it's so much easier to know when your lather is truly dialed in, plus all the work of lathering really helps prep your beard, I don't see any advantage to bowl lathering, other than the aesthetics of a bowl full of lather.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Great job! Honestly, it's so much easier to know when your lather is truly dialed in, plus all the work of lathering really helps prep your beard, I don't see any advantage to bowl lathering, other than the aesthetics of a bowl full of lather.
Bowl lathering is better if you want to take a photo with a brush so loaded with lather that it looks like a comedy ice cream cone with an extra scoop of vanilla. If you just want to shave then face lathering is great. 🤣

Take a look here.

Start with painting strokes (like you're painting a wall).

Paint away until you've got an even consistency across the whole of your face.

Add a little water to the brush.

Paint, paint, paint.

Repeat until the lather is so runny it's starting to fall off your face & brush.

Now splay the brush and scrub like mad to whip up a lather.

Use a shave stick. I think they are the easiest way to make lather and they are fun to use. And it gives you an excuse to by more stuff.
It's simple to use. Wet your face, wet your brush. Rub the soap all over your face. Then take a fairly wet brush and rub it all over your face making lather in the process. If you find the lather is too thick, just add more water to the brush.
I think using a shave stick is the best way to make lather.

EJ-Arko.JPG

Use a shave stick. I think they are the easiest way to make lather and they are fun to use. And it gives you an excuse to by more stuff.
It's simple to use. Wet your face, wet your brush. Rub the soap all over your face. Then take a fairly wet brush and rub it all over your face making lather in the process. If you find the lather is too thick, just add more water to the brush.
I think using a shave stick is the best way to make lather.

View attachment 1175303
I agree wholeheartedly! For me the trick is getting enough soap on my face and there is no better way than using a shaving stick or rubbing the puck directly on the area to be shaved. Once the soap is there the lathering is relatively easy.

Why not just rub the soap stick on your wet face then shave away? I'm unclear on what good using a brush does to improve the shave.

Why not just rub the soap stick on your wet face then shave away? I'm unclear on what good using a brush does to improve the shave.
You can shave with just a film of soap. The brush makes lather by mixing water with soap particles. A good lather is slicker and more protective than just a film of soap. Also, by lathering with the brush, you will have lather left over for a second and third pass without needing to apply more soap.

Top Bottom