What's new

Face Lathering vs Bowl Lathering

I hav noticed that soaps perform differently when pace lather vs bowl lathered ....

Has anyone else noticed this ?

Maybe you guys could do your own experiments and let us know.

Proraso red for instance is totally different and much better for me face lathered ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes many times and they do perform differently when face lathering vs bowl lathering with all my tallow and hard soaps

Huge difference!

I always note this when some of the soap guys pick a certain soap as one of their favorites, and I can only get it to perform mediocrely. I'm a face latherer, they are not.

I recently revisited a soap that I rate pretty low, and decided to bowl lather it. I got amazing lather. I just spent way to long building it, for me to do on a daily basis.

I also have my own favorites, and some of the more experienced soap guys rank them pretty low, but they are bowl latherers.

Each soap has its strengths and characteristics. Some will come together quickly, some take more time.

Here is one that was a surprise Blues Shaving Soap
proxy.php

proxy.php

His soap is much better face lathered ...
Considering it cost me $8 shipped it’s not bad.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have only ever face lathered, loaded up the brush and then hit the face. Have tried a black ceramic mug with the "knob"on the side to hang on to with a squirt of Faulding Shave Cream. Didn't go much for it. However, if I find a proper bowl that may be the difference.

I went from exclusively bowl lathering to exclusively face lathering several years ago, so I’ve never really compared head to head, but I may have to break out the bowl soon to test this out.

I use a copper bowl and get great results. I will sometimes face lather and done soaps are batter face lathered.

Top Bottom