What's new

Face lathering tutorial~another way to a great shave!

I have been wet shaving for a little over a year and have always built lather in a bowl. Face lathering was never considered. However, I wanted to change things up for the new year and I decided to give face lathering a try. I read the tutorial and gave it the ol' college try. I must say my first attempt went quite well. While I'm not a face lather convert (at least not yet), it is easier than I though it would be and provides another option for lathering.

Once you've mastered the art of face lathering, you'll wonder why you ever bothered with a bowl. Much more satisfying, and the beard get a really good length of time to soften. My bowl is gathering dust very nicely, thank you!

David

What an excellent thread, big thanks to everyone who has posted thus far. Being the new wet shaver that I am (<2 weeks), I had myself convinced I was building a good lather with my current technique. Well I'm glad I joined B&B, because I was dreadfully wrong. I attempted this suggested technique for the first time today and WOW...what a difference. I was able to build enough lather for 4 complete passes. Thanks again!!!

I have a quick question though, for everyone out there with much more experience than myself. After adequately loading my brush with enough soap for the shave, my soap and soap bowl becomes quite the lathery mess. Are you supposed to clean up this lathery mess (say by rinsing the soap bowl out with water), or should you keep the soap bowl how it is...possibly to save and conserve the soap for future uses?

Sorry for being such the n00b, I'm sure this is a stupid question...but this place is designed for learning right?
:blushing:

Such a great tutorial! I found face lathering to be great starting out - gives you a feel for what a good lather is when moving to a bowl. Lately I'm getting into my scuttle and nice hot lather though! :smile:

Thank you for this tutorial. I realized from these lathering tutorials that my water to soap ratio was way too high. Using this method has really improved my lather and enjoyment!

Cheers!

What an excellent thread, big thanks to everyone who has posted thus far. Being the new wet shaver that I am (<2 weeks), I had myself convinced I was building a good lather with my current technique. Well I'm glad I joined B&B, because I was dreadfully wrong. I attempted this suggested technique for the first time today and WOW...what a difference. I was able to build enough lather for 4 complete passes. Thanks again!!!

I have a quick question though, for everyone out there with much more experience than myself. After adequately loading my brush with enough soap for the shave, my soap and soap bowl becomes quite the lathery mess. Are you supposed to clean up this lathery mess (say by rinsing the soap bowl out with water), or should you keep the soap bowl how it is...possibly to save and conserve the soap for future uses?

Sorry for being such the n00b, I'm sure this is a stupid question...but this place is designed for learning right?

I always rinse my mug, or bowl out after I've shaved. It's just part of the cleanup process.

Clayton

Hmmm... I load AND build lather on the puck, using perhaps more water than necessary, then finish the whipping on my face.

Sounds as though I have a lot to learn...

I just leave the soap dish or bowl as is. At least I don't do anything to the puck. If there's some stray lather on the side of the bowl, I wipe that off. I find that loading up my brush with soap really isn't that messy. If there's any lather generated, I will swipe it off with my finger and slap it onto my face. For the most part, face lathering doesn't require much of a cleanup. Really just your brush and the sink.

I used a bowl initially, since I thought it was "authentic."

But, I face lather almost exclusively now, but just because it's one less step. Haven't noticed a negative impact on the quality of my shave.

In fact, I think it's actually easier to get the right lather dialed in... I can feel it as I add water...

Thanks for the great tutorial! As a newbie (started on Christmas) I started face lathering from the get go because I didn't have a separate bowl for bowl lathering. I was concerned I wasn't getting enough lather, but based on the pictures included with this post, I see I'm not so far off after all. I will be tweaking my method a bit to match this post, though.

I've had considered getting a bowl for bowl lathering, but I would really miss the great massage I get with face lathering.

I've always done good with cream and a small bowel. Never had much luck with lathering on the face. I think this will help me. Thanks guys.

I always wash the soap and bowl out after I am finished shaving. I use a 1 cup PYREX bowl with lid. After washing the soap and bowl I let it air dry and then put the air-tight lid back on.Don't worry about saving the excess suds in the bowl,how much are you washing away , a tablespoon full. The puck of soap will last you at least a month or 2 if used every day.

I wash the suds out from the soap bowl (terracotta -currently using icoloniali mango). A quick rinse under the tap and that's it. Leave the bowl open to let it dry overnight (I shave at night)

Great tutorial. I just started wet shaving and was wondering if I was getting enough lather built up. Now I know I need to practice a little more.

Thanks
WF

Thanks for this tutorial and comments. Face lathering is my preference, and this helps me in figuring out what I need to work on.

Lawrence

Top Bottom