What's new

Face Lathering Saponificio Varesino

When I use hard pucks like SV, I wet my face and use the puck like a shave stick. With SV, I'm always amazed how little soap is used versus the explosion of lather once the brush gets to work. When I start with a new soap, I always over load and then back off a bit each day until I get it right which may take a couple of days. TINRS
The lather explosion surprised me as well when I first started using SV soaps. The stuff must be extremely dense.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Long time SV user here, FWIW all of mine are v.4.3. I do about 20 swirls, about 10 seconds, with a damp synth brush then face later. This for me produces more than enough lather for 3-4 passes. SV is an extremely efficient soap.

Edit: I don't bloom SV, I've tried both with and without and I do not gain any advantage from soaking the puck pre-shave. YMMV.

My 0,2$...loading time is used A LOT here but for me it's irrelevant factor because there is too much variables (speed, pressure, hard/soft water, water left in brush, size and material of the brush,...). I judge my loading by weight of the brush. I load until brush starts feeling a bit on the heavy side then I go to my face and lather up

i never used saponificio soaps...i guess its worthy? i'm thinking about the

Saponificio Varesino Manna Di Sicilia Shaving Soap.​

good choice?

My tin of SV arrived yesterday. Just before it shipped I switched the order to the 4.3 based Desert Vetiver. Thanks to all the lathering advice above, my first shave was awesome. The fragrance was pretty subtle which I like. Loading the brush for 20-30 swirls in the tin generated enough lather for 4 passes (though for the last one I squeezed the lather out of the brush two fingers). It also happened to be my first ever shave with a Gillette 7 O'clock blade so there was more than one variable at work, but I was very happy with the results, especially with how my skin felt for hours afterwards. I sometimes get a kind of greasy feeling on my face a few hours after a shave. I'm not sure if it's from the lather drying out my skin and my oil glands working overtime to compensate, or from the soap over moisturizing for my skin type. Anyway none of that happened with the SV. It's everything I hoped it would be.

Desert Vetiver is a wonderful scent choice! I assume you didn't bloom the soap, but in the future it will take a lot less time to load onto your brush. Watch out after a week because you will have enough for 4 shaves with that many swirls! SV probably has the best balanced face feel that I know of. Enjoy.

I got the soap today. What an interesting scent. Definitely nice and definitely a bit different and complex. Like a citrus Irish spring.

Last edited:
I just used it. Bowl lather using an aliexpress synthetic brush and it was super easy to fill the bowl. Lather was thick and slick. Everything I'd hope for in a lather. I just used it once and I can tell this stuff is a winner. It definitely can be a top level performer.

Glad I got talked into it.

Interesting how the Desert Vetiver fragrance grows on one. I didn't know quite what to make of it at first. Experienced SV users: Do you close the soap up in the tin wet/damp or let it dry out before closing it up?

Definitely keep it closed, it will be harder to load if you let it dry out. Plus you risk loosing that expensive fragrance that you paid for!

Interesting how the Desert Vetiver fragrance grows on one. I didn't know quite what to make of it at first. Experienced SV users: Do you close the soap up in the tin wet/damp or let it dry out before closing it up?
I let all soaps dry for at least a few hours before covering them. That's what MdC recommends.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

I let it dry out before covering mine. I've gotten lazy and left it uncovered for days. No problem. Plus the bathroom smells great!

Maybe it's my water, which is slightly on the hard side, but I seem to need a fair amount of lathering on the puck to get enough for a 3-4 pass shave. This is after blooming the puck with hot water for 5-10 minutes. Love the soap though, could easily use it for every shave, but then my other soaps would get jealous.

Top Bottom