What's new

Face Lathering Pass Three?

I'm currently using a stick of Arko for the month of August. I have found a lot of great tips for building a face lather. The problem I see is that future passes are using what I think of as leftover degraded lather. I could start over each pass, but that's not something that I'm interested in. Do you guys have a suggestion? One thing that I have been doing is adding some of the face built lather to a mug. But that is still not great quality for the second pass. And its borderline bowl lathering. Another approach has been to load up the brush in a way that leaves the lather built toward the handle. That's not bad for pass two. But what about if I want to go to pass three. I think this is one place where bowl lathering shines. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
My friend likes using an Arko stick, but had troubles face lathering, so I showed him how to simply cut off a sliver of soap from the stick and press it into the bottom of the bowl and bowl lather. It works for him, unless you are set on face lathering only.

@Fred D
I do like to bowl lather sometimes, but for now, I am looking for face only suggestions.

@clk
So are you loading the brush heavy? I guess this is all about personal preferences. With a bowl, it's easier for me to judge how much soap I'm going to need. With face lathering, I end up using more soap and a lower last pass quality lather.

It helps to have a larger sized brush which will hold more lather. You can also apply soap both to the face and a bit on the brush using the stick. Your brush is a reservoir for lather, add a bit more water to the face and you can regenerate more lather. You can also squeeze lather from the brush for your final pass and apply it with the fingers. You do not need super thick lather for your final pass, in fact thinner lather allows you to get a closer shave.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Using Tabac as an example I would normally soak the brush for a couple of minutes then squeeze all the water out so it is just damp. Then I do about 30 to 40 swirls on the puck and paint this quite dry soap paste onto my face. Then I lather away, all the time dipping just the brush tips in water, until I get the consistency I want. My largest brush is a 24mm 2 band with a lot of backbone and little splay and I get plenty of lather for three passes. If I need more for the third pass or cleanup then I normally add a little more water rather than more soap. That said, I am not fussy at all about lather as long as I can shave with it. I have zero interest in bubble free yogurt type lather seen in SOTD images. For me a wetter, slicker lather works better and air bubbles make no difference. Good luck.

I face lather and do two passes and a clean up pass. I always have plenty of lather for all three passes and it doesn't "degrade". I think you are either 1) not adding enough soap to your face, or 2) not lathering enough.

Bigger brush. Good idea.

Loading a pasty soap deeper into the brush for later passes? That sounds interesting but tricky.

If adding water to a lather that has already been built, builds more lather. Wouldn't that mean that it was not properly hydrated in the first place? I guess this is another YMMV thing.

Bigger brush. Good idea.

Loading a pasty soap deeper into the brush for later passes? That sounds interesting but tricky.

If adding water to a lather that has already been built, builds more lather. Wouldn't that mean that it was not properly hydrated in the first place? I guess this is another YMMV thing.
Perhaps it's just hard to visualize. Most soaps have a range of hydration levels that will work, you are not on a knife edge. Your lather may be a bit thinner, but still works well for shaving. This is not a photo shoot where everything has to look perfect. Plus, if the lather has been sitting in the brush, it will usually be a bit dryer than that used for your first pass.

A couple approaches I use:

1) A quick swipe (no place near a full dose) with the stick before pass 2 or 3 will add some soap and get your lather back in good form. Having my sticks in tubes keeps my fingers drier and soap free.

2) When I want a wetter lather (eg for an SR shave) I face lather with enough soap that the brush is still well loaded after my stubble is thoroughly prepped and well lathered. I then use a small 4 oz bowl and the loaded brush to make a very wet lather to layer on top of the face lather. Second and third passes can be done in either layered style or just face lathering, but more soap can be picked up as necessary from the remains in the bowl.

Adding more soap as you go does sound like a logical way to go. I know we are talking about face lathering hear. But wouldn't it be more work with less consistent lather then just mixing up the proper amount of soap and water in a bowl?

Adding more soap as you go does sound like a logical way to go. I know we are talking about face lathering hear. But wouldn't it be more work with less consistent lather then just mixing up the proper amount of soap and water in a bowl?
Most people don't run out of soap in the middle and need to refresh. You get better with practice.

Try loading more soap on face or smash the Arko in a mug or bowl and load on top the puck. That is what I do. I use my Omega or SOC boar and load heavy. Arko is is dirt cheap load it up!

I guess it is true that we don't see what kind of lather must of us use when face lathering. I don't run out of soap. I enjoy having a consistent, easily built three pass lather. I'm finding stick face lather to be challenging in that regard. But I guess that is to be expected when using fewer tools.

Loading more soap is not the way to go for me. If I do that, then I will have soap all over the place. And cleaning up an unnecessary mess is not what I'm looking for.

I face lather and do two passes and a clean up pass. I always have plenty of lather for all three passes and it doesn't "degrade". I think you are either 1) not adding enough soap to your face, or 2) not lathering enough.

that’s about it for me too. either loading the brush from a puck, or putting stick to face, load enough soap to create enough lather for 2–3 passes, and practice until you get what you want. It just takes practice to perfect the technique. Eventually it’ll be unconscious.

I usually rub my wet face with the stick (Palmolive), until there is a visible layer of soap, then use a damp brush to turn that layer into lather. I usually make enough lather to do four passes should I so choose.

If I'm using a soap puck, I just load the brush up for about 30 seconds or so, then go to my wet face and build the lather, which is also usually good for three to four passes.

I will note that I prefer thinner and slicker lather so my method will not produce the dense yogurt-like lather that photographs so well.

This morning's shave was with an Arko stick face lathering. 28mm badger brush.

I applied a generous load of soap to my wet face and lathered with a slightly damp brush, adding water until I had what I wanted.

Second pass I again applied a bit of soap to my face and lathered, adding water until I again had what I wanted.

Third pass I used what was already in the brush, again adding water since it had dried slightly in the brush and I was working the soap deep in the brush up to the tips.

At the end the brush was still full so, just for giggles, I moved to a bowl and developed enough acceptable lather for two or more passes.

My take: Don't use a tiny brush. Feel free to reapply the stick if necessary, and add water to help bring out what's buried in the knot. You'll get there.

I'm currently using a stick of Arko for the month of August. I have found a lot of great tips for building a face lather. The problem I see is that future passes are using what I think of as leftover degraded lather. I could start over each pass, but that's not something that I'm interested in. Do you guys have a suggestion? One thing that I have been doing is adding some of the face built lather to a mug. But that is still not great quality for the second pass. And its borderline bowl lathering. Another approach has been to load up the brush in a way that leaves the lather built toward the handle. That's not bad for pass two. But what about if I want to go to pass three. I think this is one place where bowl lathering shines. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Have you tried various soaps and brushes with the same results?

Top Bottom