What's new

Face lathering: never say never

I mainly face lather- I like the feel of the big brushes on my head, face, and neck-especially with badger-based brushes. However, I bowl lather when using creams or croaps. Even when bowl lathering, after scooping the lather onto the brush, it still gets face lathered in and not painted. I only paint at the end to get everything even.

Basically, it's your shave den- do what feels good to you and your face. I have a PAA brush scuttle- which works for bulb and smaller knot brushes. I also have a Dirty Bird Pottery scuttle; they both get plenty of use this time of year.

marty

I'm a 'die hard' bowl latherer. For whatever reason, I prefer it to all other techniques. With that said, I can appreciate a good stimulating face lather. It certainly makes traveling easier as I don't have to tote a bowl around.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I have his soc which is hogging lather like crazy, face lathering seems to improve things a little bit, althouh I!m still have to side wipe/paint on the 2nd pass. I maybe return to bowl if things improve hog wise but for now face lather it shall be.

I have facelathered few years. Now when my wife bought one springy clipped badger, that was scritch to facelather, i left that one unused in my den (sadly)... Now few months gone, i tryed today make bowl lathers with it. Well, that was pretty good. Not as fast as my smaller boars, but i think i facelather with my fukly broken boars, and bowl with that badger.

My new thinking/idea is, ALL brushes are good. They just have different good things.

I initially bowl lathered until I was in a hotel and had no bowl so I gave face lathering a go. I got a much better lather plus so much more of the soaps scent and the feel of the brush that I never lathered from a bowl ever again.

I use a bowl for creams and for soaps that require more work to get the consistency I like (Captain's Choice, and PAA). I get the lather close to where I want it in the bowl, then work it on my face to get it just right.

I enjoy both and I think it also depends if i'm using a cream or a soap. I like face lathering a bit more though, since it works really well and it's a bit faster. Shaving sticks like Arko are fantastic for face lathering.

Tabac stick (or any stick), obviously you face lather, since the soap starts on the face. I have soaps I prefer face lathering (Proraso) and those I prefer bowl lathering (MWF). Creams I bowl lather.

I also do both. I start out in the bowl, get it half way there and finish off on the face. This for me gives me the ammount I need and the best performance. Best of two worlds.

How does bowl lathering take more time? It seems like lathering on the face means you'd have to build a lather three separate times for three passes.
I load for 30 seconds and build the lather on the face once, with enough on the brush for three or more passes. Not having to rinse the bowl saves time.

Top Bottom