What's new

Face lather vs bowl lather

Most of my hard soaps are each in a mug, so I work up a proto-lather in the mug and finish off face lathering.
For the softer soaps, I load from the puck and face lather.
To me, using a bowl is just an added unnecessary step.

Bowl. 100%.

Two reasons:

1) I feel like I can control more precisely exactly the consistency of the lather and get it exactly where I want it;
2) Shaving two or three passes is enough exfoliation for me; I don't need the brush working on the face as well.

Out of curiosity, how do you all prefer to lather? For me personally, I prefer to load up and then bowl lather, add water as I feel needed. Then I ”paint on”...

For me, I get a better and mike consistent lather to start...

I think this is all personal preference, but am curious to hear others thoughts on this.

This is what I do!

Vr

matt

Face. I load up the brush and go to work on my skin. Only when a soap or cream is in my mug do I not face lather. I have a bowl, I use it very rarely because it is just one more item I have to look after when I shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most of my lather is built in the bowl, but I do take a good deal of time building lather on the face as well.

Face lathering for several reasons. It is less fuzz. It is less stuff, it is less time, but mostly the time spent building the lather on the face seems to have almost like a pre shave effect on me if that makes sense? I just get more comfortable shaves from it, and in less time s a bonus.
Couldn’t have said it better. Switching to face lathering was an “a ha” moment for me. My shave quality improved dramatically.

I like that bowl lathering gives me the same quality lather on the 3rd pass and maybe a 4th touchup.

I have a goatee, and maneuvering around that is a chore with brush lathering.

I don't like the mess I get with brush lathering. It used to be fine when I liked my lathers more dry (I didn't know any better), but now that I like them wet and super slick, that's a mess to deal with without a bowl.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Face lather. For me, theres really no reason to bowl lather when I can just build the lather on my face and save a step in the process.

I just soak a brush enough to let it fill with water, then squeeze most of it out. Then I go to work directly on the puck, in the container it comes in. I dip the tip in the sink to add water as needed, until I get the brush full of lather. This part of the process usually takes 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Then I "lather' on my face with a combination of splaying, swirling and painting until I have the right consistency for a shave. It's definitely more of an art than it is a science, and a lot of individual preferences are in play. This works great for me, and gives me plenty of opportunity to adjust things as I go.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use a scuttle for all 3 pass shaves and face lather for 2 pass shaves.

For years I only used the scuttle. When I got lazy and started to add the 2 pass shaves my face lathers were not as good as the scuttle, but with practice they both ended up to be equal.

The bowl is neater - you can swirl as quickly as you like without flying lather - but the lathers are the same.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I think it is the chef in me. Love the satisfaction and control of building that lather in my hammered brass bowl.

Bowl lather as I’ve realized face lathering irritates my Face if I shave daily. Unless I’m traveling then I use a shave stick.

Bowl lather?

What is bowl lather ?
It's when you mix up most of your lather in a bowl instead of on your face. In other words, think about where you are adding your water as you mix up your lather .

If you take your loaded brush full of concentrate soap to your face and then work it in and dip your tips in water or sprinkle water on your brush, then we call that face lathering.

If you take your brush loaded with soap concentrate and start mixing it into some type of container and add water to the container as you build your lather, we generally call that bowl lathering.

Those are the general concepts, but there are definitely other folks who do hybrid versions That exists somewhere between these two.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

It depends on the soap/cream for me. E.g., I get a great lather with tabac when using a bowl, but for arko, I am never happy with the lather unless I face lather.

Sometimes I want warm lather. I use a scuttle on those days. Otherwise I face lather.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Face for me. When I was bowl lathering I always had the feeling best lather was stuck in the bowl and I always made too dry lather. Face all the way

I was a 100% bowl but tried face lathering and never went back. For me, you can fine tune the lather to your liking by feel. Now all my bowls are collecting dust or use 'em as cigar ashtrays (ceramic ones), lol!

Mixed for me. Some days I do face lather, on the days I want something a little warmer I use a scuttle. But I mostly face lather.

Top Bottom