What's new

Face lather vs bowl lather

Out of curiosity, how do you all prefer to lather? For me personally, I prefer to load up and then bowl lather, add water as I feel needed. Then I ”paint on”...

For me, I get a better and mike consistent lather to start...

I think this is all personal preference, but am curious to hear others thoughts on this.

I'm just getting back into wet shaving after taking about a decade off. Previously, I used mostly creams and always bowl lathered. I just got a selection of soap samples and haven't decided if I'm going to bowl lather or face lather with them. There wasn't the same selection of soaps ten years ago that there is now.

Wet brush thoroughly, one hard shake and start lathering out of the puck or container over the sink.
Usually the brush is wet enough to develop a good lather and then continue to face lather. I don't seem
to have any issues with this method and it saves the time of double duty by lathering in a bowl

My preference is bowl lather but occasionally I also like to face lather, I often use shave sticks or hard pucks like shave sticks. To my preference I have more control whit my lather when I bowl lather, either way works great for me.

I bowl lather because I’m only a few months into wetshaving and can consistently, quickly, and easily make a bowl lather. I’m still learning how to face lather. I use a Timeless bowl and a Maggards synthetic brush.

Bowl. To me it's the only way to know how much soap is needed and being used. However, there is not a wrong answer. Do what works for you!

It comes down to personal preference.

I've done both and I do a combination of both. I create a nice lather in a bowl then face lather with painting strokes on my face until I feel the lather is right. I can't just bowl lather as it doesn't seem quite right.

Even then I'll add water to the bowl and make the lather wetter and creamier and add it to my face lathering a bit more to incorporate to add the slickness I seek. Works a treat.

Chris

I mentioned in another thread that I've face-lathered all my life because that's the way my Dad taught me.

Also, when I lived in a logging camp, bowl lathering would have meant that I needed to carry one extra thing among the limited amount of stuff I could bring... unless I stole a soup bowl from the camp kitchen!

So, face lathering all the way for me.

Face, most of the time - a function of time and routine in the morning rush. I occasionally use a bowl when i have some time on the weekend

Face lathering for several reasons. It is less fuzz. It is less stuff, it is less time, but mostly the time spent building the lather on the face seems to have almost like a pre shave effect on me if that makes sense? I just get more comfortable shaves from it, and in less time s a bonus.

For more than 50 years I was a bowl latherer. For the last four years, I exclusively face lather except when I make uberlather or superlather - which is perhaps five or six times a year.

Top Bottom