What's new

Face just doesn’t stay hydrated

Hi folks,

Was hoping for some advice, I have tried various methods of face lathering using creams, soaps, pre shaves but always end up with the same problem. A minute or so after lathering my face starts to dry up and the slickness goes. Is there something that I could use that would assist in keeping the face hydrated for longer? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lately I’ve been using the bloom water from my Fine American Blend soap as a pre-shave before lathering. I love how slick it is, and it stays that way. The lather is slick, too.

Sir Homervanderlay, try to rub a glycerine soap as preshave over your beard. Lather it with your badger, wipe off lightly. It will leave a glycerin film over your skin for the shave and thereafter. Give it a try!

If I hear you correctly you are saying the lather dries up and the slickness is gone. That tells me that maybe your lather is not hydrated enough. I don't start shaving until my lather is of a yogurt like consistency, with soft peaks and a nice sheen to it. The sheen tells me there is enough water content in the lather.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hi folks,

Was hoping for some advice, I have tried various methods of face lathering using creams, soaps, pre shaves but always end up with the same problem. A minute or so after lathering my face starts to dry up and the slickness goes. Is there something that I could use that would assist in keeping the face hydrated for longer? Thanks

Use more water for a wetter lather, perhaps put three or four drops of glycerin in your soap when lathering. Use a shave cream with lanolin such as Barbasol foam. Lots of ways actually. Personally, I would start with a wetter lather and go from there.

Hi folks,

Need.... more... water.....

Add drips of water to your brush and continue working in the lather.

Cris does it real well with his lather.

What's your soaking routine for the brush like and what kind of brush are you using? Like others have said, it sounds like you're not getting enough water into your lather while lathering. Having lather dry out if you're taking 20 minutes per a pass learning to straight shave is one thing, but if it's drying up after a minute or so you're definitely doing something wrong technique-wise.

A very wet brush helps. Lots of people use a drier brush to load and lather slowly adding water, not the way I like to do it, which is a dripping wet soaked brush given a light shake before going to the face or the puck. That's usually enough water to get the lather just right and you're never rubbing pasty soap on your face, which is likley what's drying you out. I haven't had a dry face during the shave since I started doing it this way.

If I hear you correctly you are saying the lather dries up and the slickness is gone. That tells me that maybe your lather is not hydrated enough. I don't start shaving until my lather is of a yogurt like consistency, with soft peaks and a nice sheen to it. The sheen tells me there is enough water content in the lather.

+1! More water is likely the answer! This is called ‘traditional’ WET shaving because water is so important.

Sounds like not loading enough soap, and not enoughv water. I keep face lathering until i feel the lather turning into a nice silky cream. What soap ?

It does sound like you're are not using enough water in your lather, OR not enough product AND not enough water, so the lather is too thin and just dissipates. Try a wetter brush and load lots of soap. Try going overboard a few times and give yourself a Santa Claus beard.

Soaps with lanolin tend to have a lot of residual slickness.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, you need more water.

Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

Congratulations on being a face latherer. It makes everything better especially the problem you're describing.

After you've built the lather on your face (the way you already are), dip the tips of your brush into water (hot or cold, your choice) getting just a bit more water on your brush. Not much water. Use your brush to work that water into the lather already on your face.

Repeat that process several more times.

Just add a little bit of water at a time. Take your time.

The end point here is to have the lather running down your chest and belly. You want to find out how much water is too much.

Once you know how much is too much you'll know how much to use. The right amount is just a little less than too much.

1582371349307.png

Some people don't need as much water as others, but, generally speaking, extreme hydration is a good thing.

Stick with just one soap until you have it dialed in.

Some soaps are better than others in this regard and a few are just impossible. If you have issues with your soap there are a zillion to try. I'm going to tell you about one I've recently discovered which is so good it might be my only soap had I discovered it first.

Vitos.ExtraSuperCoco.SusanDarnell.640.2-17-20.JPG

If you buy the 100 ml size of Vitos Extra Super at Connaught you'll discover one of the huge bargains in great shaving soaps; having tried perhaps a hundred soaps and having spent a small fortune on soaps I'm blown away by this once and its price. It can be extremely well hydrated, too, which is why I'm mentioning it here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yes, you need more water.

The end point here is to have the lather running down your chest and belly. You want to find out how much water is too much.

Once you know how much is too much you'll know how much to use. The right amount is just a little less than too much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Likely the best summation and advice ever given on B&B!

More water. Then, the right amount is just a little less than too much!

What's your soaking routine for the brush like and what kind of brush are you using? Like others have said, it sounds like you're not getting enough water into your lather while lathering. Having lather dry out if you're taking 20 minutes per a pass learning to straight shave is one thing, but if it's drying up after a minute or so you're definitely doing something wrong technique-wise.

I use synthetic shave brush due to which I don’t usually soak it but run the tap over it and then shake off excess water. I will try leaving more water in it and see how that goes. Thanks

Sounds like not loading enough soap, and not enoughv water. I keep face lathering until i feel the lather turning into a nice silky cream. What soap ?

I have been using Proraso shave cream but also use Arko soap, the later seems to work a bit better at retaining the moisture in my face.

Thanks for all the replies folks, very useful information and advice given. Will try the suggestions and see how I get on!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How did this turn out?
More water? Face moisturizer?
I don’t see a reason to ruin the lather with more water if you need to moisturize your face.

You misread the OP (or I did).

Moisturizing the skin and hydration of the lather so it doesn't dry out on the face are two different things.

More water doesn't ruin the lather. Quite the contrary. Of course it is true too much water is too much water, but that's already been addressed in this thread.

Of course, we're all entitled to use whatever degree of hydration of the lather we decide upon.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

Speaking of moisturizing the face, the best product I've run across is hyaluronic acid. Frank told me about it. It's made a huge difference to me. All I do is rub a couple of small globs of the stuff into my still damp but not wet post shave skin. It soaks in and dries rapidly. I apply my splash not long after the hyaluronic acid. It's an amazing moisturizer for my overly dry skin. Don't know if it would work as well for everyone as it does for me, but it's inexpensive and worth trying I think.

A small bottle goes a long way.

It's also possible the OP is using a soap very prone to fast drying on the face. Some are.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom