What's new

Face cleanser for acne, but non-drying?

Hello all,

Had bad acne as a teenager, and was pretty well fixed up after a course of Accutane. For some reason, at 35, I'm starting to get some moderate patches again. Mostly on the sides/back of my neck and around my lips, but sometimes front of neck as well.

Had been using Dove Men+ care (Hydrate I think?), but switched to the Wife's St. Ives with the crushed walnut shells. Almost seems worse lately, and have read that using an exfoliant like that daily can cause micro abrasions and make things worse.

So, I'm back on the hunt for something that isn't drying, but helps the acne. Bought a tube of Neutrogena Acne Wash cream yesterday. Used it last night, but face felt tight and dry after my shower. Anything readily available at most stores that comes recommended for acne (preferably with salicylic acid), but isn't drying? I wash once a day, in the evening while showering if that helps.

For the record, the St. Ives didn't dry me out. If they made the same formula without the exfoliants, that'd be swell :).

Thanks guys,

Joe

It's the winter. The air is drier and consequently your skin will be drier. Your skin will then produce extra sebum to compensate, likely leading to the acne you're experiencing. More beneficial than the cleanser you're using would be a good facial lotion to keep your skin hydrated and prevent your skin from overcompensating.

It's the winter. The air is drier and consequently your skin will be drier. Your skin will then produce extra sebum to compensate, likely leading to the acne you're experiencing. More beneficial than the cleanser you're using would be a good facial lotion to keep your skin hydrated and prevent your skin from overcompensating.

This quite possibly could do the trick.

I use Simple Moisturizing Facial Wash (for sensitive skin) with good results. Can be obtained from drug stores and department stores.

Thanks guys, dryness was my thought too. Bought some Cetaphil the other day (the sensitive formula), seems to be great so far. We'll see what happens ;).

Thanks again guys, love this place!

Joe

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Derek here is providing the best answer possible. Keep your skin hydrated with a quality product and use a good moisturizing soap for cleaning. Both on daily basis. This will certainly help.

Top Bottom