What's new

Fabric Steamers

Long story short, my iron will still iron, but will not steam anymore, and it was never that great to begin with for that function. I have decided to purchase an actual steamer for just that reason.

I am looking for a standing/hanging model, but want to get the most functionality out of it. I would love a heavy press steamer but just don't have the surface space to put one in my apartment.

Who is using one? Models? Recommendations? Pros/Cons?

It might be good to first ask why the steamer is no longer working on your iron. If it's due to mineral deposits clogging the works, then any steamer will be subject to the same problem over time. Something like distilled water might be better for it if you're having hard water issues.

I will be following this thread. I have often considered trying a steamer instead of an iron for my dress shirts. Now that the office is casual dress, I don't necessarily need the crispness that comes from an iron.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

My wife recently turned me on to a portable hand steamer that you plug in using distilled water. It does a great job of taking out wrinkles. It doesn't press a shirt, but it certainly does a good job. Cost about $30usd online and looks something like the following. There are many options and I am not sure of the brand my wife purchased, but read reviews and you be the judge.

Portable steamer.jpg

i’ve had a jiffy j2000 for last 9 years

learning to balance a garment while steaming was lots o’ fun.

Last edited:
For anyone following along:

I purchased a PurSteam full size steamer. So far I have used it on a few work suits, my dress blues, some cotton shirts, and some khaki pants... so I have covered a few different fabric types.

Pros: It is much faster and more effective than steaming with the iron, which I think is probably a close equivalent to steaming with one of the travel/hand models. It far surpasses trying to get a good steam out of just hanging it in the bathroom while in the shower. Structure is sturdy and collapses down far enough where it would tuck neatly into the closet. Construction is sturdy enough for household use or the office.

Cons: I am not crazy about the sea foam green color, and there are no choices unless you select a different model, that may not come with the same settings/accessories.

TBD: There is a pants attachment that supposedly helps put the crease in. I have no idea how this works, and have yet to figure it out. There is a "mini ironing board" for use in helping get the corners of shirts looking crisp, which I have also not mastered yet. Seeing how I didn't anticipate using the tool for creases, I won't count my lack of know how as a con, but it may potentially become a pro at some point.

PurSteam-Full-Size-Garment-Fabric-Steamer-1.jpg

Top Bottom