What's new

F150 Anti theft system issues

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
My 02 has an anti theft system. Every so often, I'll go to put the key in and it will do nothing at all; No crank, no guages, no lights, nothing. It happened today. I let it sit for 5 minutes and it started right up. Has anyone ran into this before?

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Adam have you had the OBD read to check for any trouble codes?
Thanks, I think that's my next move. It doesn't have a check engine light on. Can It still have trouble codes? I was reading on it last night and that was suggested as well.

Kindly,
Adam

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sounds like my old Buick LeSabre. Comes and goes. Weird. I will be following.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Many "Anti-theft" features involve simply having a chip in the key fob that prevents the car from being started unless a properly chipped key has been inserted.
These key fobs run on batteries. A cheap possible solution before you bring it in would be to simply change the battery in the key fob to make sure you are powering up the chip.

image2.png

KeenDogg

Many "Anti-theft" features involve simply having a chip in the key fob that prevents the car from being started unless a properly chipped key has been inserted.
These key fobs run on batteries. A cheap possible solution before you bring it in would be to simply change the battery in the key fob to make sure you are powering up the chip.
It's a good thought! I don't think mine has a battery. I think it's passive. I will look into it further. I will report back later.

Kindly,
Adam

My 2000 Ranger has the same system. Mine is passive so no battery in the key. It could be the chip in the key is going bad. If you have 2 keys does it happen with both keys or only one. The other part of the system is the passive sensor that is on the ignition switch. It is a black donut ring around the place you put in the key.
proxy.php

Is your Anti theft light flashing when you key is in and not working?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hope you get it worked out. These things can be very frustrating with their "ghost in the machine" nature.

I left my keys in the ignition of my Ford and the doors unlocked.

And still nobody would take it.
I had a wrangler that leaked. Carpet smelled so bad, I pulled it. The car still stunk. I had to leave it open, except in the winter. The ignition would turn without a key (seriously, no key required, just turn the "wings" on each side of the ignition). No one would steal it; wouldn't even take the radio in Newark.

I had a wrangler that leaked. Carpet smelled so bad, I pulled it. The car still stunk. I had to leave it open, except in the winter. The ignition would turn without a key (seriously, no key required, just turn the "wings" on each side of the ignition). No one would steal it; wouldn't even take the radio in Newark.
So So Sad.. I feel your pain...

KeenDogg

My 2000 Ranger has the same system. Mine is passive so no battery in the key. It could be the chip in the key is going bad. If you have 2 keys does it happen with both keys or only one. The other part of the system is the passive sensor that is on the ignition switch. It is a black donut ring around the place you put in the key.
proxy.php

Is your Anti theft light flashing when you key is in and not working?

It's been ok so far, John. I've only noticed it with one key so far. I'm using the other key exclusively to see how it goes. Thanks for the pic. I didn't know that donut was the transceiver for the key.

I am waiting til it happens again and will check if the light flashes. I think it was solid last time I turned it over. It flashed ever second without a key which I read was normal.

It's been ok so far, John. I've only noticed it with one key so far. I'm using the other key exclusively to see how it goes. Thanks for the pic. I didn't know that donut was the transceiver for the key.

I am waiting til it happens again and will check if the light flashes. I think it was solid last time I turned it over. It flashed ever second without a key which I read was normal.

Sounds like your other key is bad. I believe if you try to start it with the bad key that it will flash instead of staying constant.

My wife's '08 Ford Escape did the same thing. Sometimes you turned the key and nothing and other times you turned the key and it fired right up. It did it for over 3 years and did it even up to the day that the tranny started to slip and we traded it it.
It seems to be a common problem that no one really seem to know the fix to. When my wife's Escape first started doing it, at first I thought maybe the key was bad but her's did it with both keys and when I read some about it online, there were stories of people who spend thousands of dollars trying to have a dealer mechanic track it down and no of them seemed to be able to find an answer.

Top Bottom