What's new

F Herder "NOS" straight razors

Thank you Joshua! I do think it could be a lot better though, especially with the right equipment setup. It makes me appreciate what Ralf Aust is capable of (and makes me understand why he has the equipment he does.)

Bluesman, do you have any info on what their HT approach ended up being? Specifically what they ran their temper cycles at?
Pretty sure that they tempered at 400F. I'll try to follow up and see if anyone finish ground and honed their blanks.

Last edited:
The edge held up just fine off the Karasu. No more wear than off the Thuri. If you wanted to, you could definitely go a little bit softer without a problem.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There was one yesterday for $30. I prefer $10 razors, but you're not going to find an unused Herder that hasn't be screwed with by questionable sellers for less than $150.

That's not been my experience, but I get why you'd say it. It kinda depends who is bidding, right?

On the other hand, I've not yet shaved with either of the Herder razors I received yesterday. I honed one, and examined both very carefully. I don't think they're like new-in-the-box-from-the-factory mint, but they look to be as nice as a razor can be that's not that. I do not believe they show any signs of having been worked on by anyone since they left the factory. Of course I could be wrong. I'm not an expert, but I've bought five or six razors before these.

Prices really vary a lot, but the nice Herders usually go high. I've lost a few auctions where I bid more than I did for either of the ones I won. Good thing, too, because I think the ones I won superior to the ones I didn't win.

Happy shaves,

Jim

That's not been my experience, but I get why you'd say it. It kinda depends who is bidding, right?

On the other hand, I've not yet shaved with either of the Herder razors I received yesterday. I honed one, and examined both very carefully. I don't think they're like new-in-the-box-from-the-factory mint, but they look to be as nice as a razor can be that's not that. I do not believe they show any signs of having been worked on by anyone since they left the factory. Of course I could be wrong. I'm not an expert, but I've bought five or six razors before these.

Prices really vary a lot, but the nice Herders usually go high. I've lost a few auctions where I bid more than I did for either of the ones I won. Good thing, too, because I think the ones I won superior to the ones I didn't win.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So, I got mine from J.R. Rowe out of CA. He let me pick out the materials and shape of the scales. He made me a good deal. When I got it I honed it and was disappointed. I did the progression again and it was perfect.

That is very interesting and informative
I love reading razor history and will
Probably buy a Herder, real soon, thanks
To the historical info of your link.
Thanks for posting it.
I am glad you share my interest in the history of these old razors @weekly. I also use Aqua Velva.....:a14::a14:

I got a Herder #76 15/16 with white bone scales from Salem OR seller a month ago. It is in perfect shape and appears to never been touched up. Got it for $43. He had a few but never bought the others he had. I need to find someone to hone this beast.
So who did the honing for you ?
And how long does the edge usually
Last before it needs honing again?

I am glad you share my interest in the history of these old razors @weekly. I also use Aqua Velva.....:a14::a14:
The Aqua's both the Blue & Green
So remind me of a bygone era, in
Which my dad would shave once in
The morning and again in late afternoon
And Dad would put on a dress shirt &
Tie every day whether he's going out
Or not didn't matter, with only the occasional weekend dress down, but
Always a super close shave and the ever
Present Aqua Ice Blue. It's been well
Over 50 years ago , but the great post
I read on B&B Makes me feel as if it
Were yesterday.

Loved seeing an older video of Sheffield razor makers at work. Those guys were fast! The one that did the grinding had that blade zipping back and forth between the grinding wheels only stopping ever so often to inspect his work.
The man that assembled the razors quickly stamped out a bunch of collars and pinned the razor in no time.
Is the video you speak of still floating
Around?

@weekly I actually honed it using lapping film. I also sent it to Ron Henry who was putting some new scales on a WB for him. He was floored when I told him I did the honing with lapping film. He couldn’t find a thing to touch up on it.

When I first saw the video, not sure where I found it, I was first interested in seeing the manufacturing process and later how the man chose to shave himself. It was not so much what soap or brush he used as much as just the process that he had developed over the years that suited his beard and the care he took with the razor after use, a simply strop and then putting it away.

Top Bottom