What's new

Ezyer way?

Hi all

I’m new to this brush reknoting side of shaving an I wanted to know is there an ezyer way to remove a knot from a brush? Iv just spent close to an hour drilling and pulling the old knot out of a grumpy rhino brush.
Was a pain in the back end. It had a metal ring as the knot base for future is there a ezyer way?

Sometimes you can melt the old glue on older brushes using a steamer. Be very careful though because sometime the handle is damaged from the heat. Search around here and you can find more information about this method. I don't recommend it but others report success.

An hour? Holy moly. You ought to be able to get that done in fifteen minutes.

Which tools are you using? A Dremel or similar small rotary tool with the carbide grinding bits ought to make relatively short work of any knot. Not that it’s not slow, stinky, unpleasant work. But you shouldn’t have to stay at it for an hour.

I do most of the work with a Dremel 85602 bit. Takes down material in a hurry.

For faster work you can get a Forstner bit for your drill. Makes a nice flat bottomed hole.

Sometimes you can melt the old glue on older brushes using a steamer. Be very careful though because sometime the handle is damaged from the heat. Search around here and you can find more information about this method. I don't recommend it but others report success.
It’s a pretty new brush the knot just went on it the bristle started falling out and went lop sides so I’m reknoting it

Which tools are you using? A Dremel or similar small rotary tool with the carbide grinding bits ought to make relatively short work of any knot. Not that it’s not slow, stinky, unpleasant work. But you shouldn’t have to stay at it for an hour.

For faster work you can get a Forstner bit for your drill. Makes a nice flat bottomed hole.
I used a drill needle nose plyers and a small screw driver the issue I had was the knot ring was made from alloy and I couldn’t move it was glueding really well

Up - what he said. Fostner bit just about the size of the handle hole makes for a smooth, flat hole for the new knot.
Use a sharp pair of scissors to cut the knot as close to the handle as you can. I then use a disc sander to flatten the knot just above the handle.
Here's a photo of a Fuller brush I had drilled for a Timberwolf synthetic.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom