What's new

Ezra Arthur Strop

I am new to wet shaving and stropping. I purchased a nice Dovo razor and a Ezra Arthur Bershire strop. I received the strop. It was folded up in the shipping box. When I took it out, it had a lot of stretch marks where the bend was. Being new, I didn't know this was bad. So, I allowed it to hand for a while, then used it thinking it would smooth out and be fine. But it never did and my razor was not getting sharp and smooth as I thought it should be. I really was giving up on the whole straight razor thing.

Along comes this site and the forums. I read where stratch marks are bad and the better strops should not have them. So, I emailed Ezra Arthur with what had happend including the pictures I attached to this post.

They responded with an apology and staited they are sending a new strop to me this week. They responded to my email quickly. I will follow up with how long it takes to get the new strop and it's condition. If they send it out quickly and it is in excellant condition, I would applaud their service, even though the original strop was in poor condition upon receipt.

I just wanted to share this newbie experience and the responsive service I received from Ezra. I hope they follow through.

Attachments

• JPEG_20200420_232334_556929020134450605.jpg
    JPEG_20200420_232334_556929020134450605.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • JPEG_20200420_232404_7537095266804951828.jpg
    JPEG_20200420_232404_7537095266804951828.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
How was it folded up? It should be folded up (preferably rolled) with the stropping surface of the leather facing out. If it was folded with the stropping surface facing inwards, wrinkles can result.

Glad to hear that they are sending a replacement. But if they're rolling the pieces with the stropping surfaces facing in, they need to be notified about this. (Some people will roll the strop with the stropping surface in thinking that this will help to protect it.)

How was it folded up? It should be folded up (preferably rolled) with the stropping surface of the leather facing out. If it was folded with the stropping surface facing inwards, wrinkles can result.

Glad to hear that they are sending a replacement. But if they're rolling the pieces with the stropping surfaces facing in, they need to be notified about this. (Some people will roll the strop with the stropping surface in thinking that this will help to protect it.)

Not sure. But the bend was pretty extreme in the box it came in. Thanks for the feedback.

It can't be fixed. I had this happen to an Extra Arthur strop as well. I purchased it second hand and came to an agreement with the seller. I tried everything, rolling, rubbing, saddle soap, placing heavy objects on it, and nothing worked. The wrinkles are the top portion of the leather fibers separating from the bottom. So no matter what you do, the fiber will raise/separate again. You will never be able to reattach them if that makes sense.

Since the seller refunded my money, and I got to keep it, I repaired the strop and PIF'ed it. Here is what I did. I took the handles off and sanded the leather. If I remember correctly I started at 400 and went up to 1K. This took the top layer of leather off. It also removed the beautiful stain. Mine was a darker color so it was very noticeable. However, it gave it a distressed/vintage look which looked great after I was done with it. The draw was no longer fast but it was very smooth and velvety. I would have kept it, but I promised it before I knew how it would turn out.

Wow. Amazing how an incorrect packaging method can ruin a quality strop. Thanks for the explanation.

Wow. Amazing how an incorrect packaging method can ruin a quality strop. Thanks for the explanation.
I'm always very careful when shopping strops. They should be shipped with leather stropping surface facing out and not rolled tight. The bigger the box the better.

Ezra sent me a replacement strop today. That was fast! BUT IT WAS THE WRONG SIZE! So I'm a little disappointed. Its 2.5", my strop is 3". So the wait continues.

Attachments

• 20200423_195519.jpg
    20200423_195519.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
Ezra sent me a replacement strop today. That was fast! BUT IT WAS THE WRONG SIZE! So I'm a little disappointed. Its 2.5", my strop is 3". So the wait continues.
They responded by email and said they are sending a 3" strop out and i need to return the 2.5" one. Bit of a hassle.

So, to make sure I can get back to straight rszor shaving for sure, I ordered a Heirloom (Tony Miller) strop.

When plan A fails always have a plan B.

Received the Tony Miller strop yesterday. Very happy with it. Now I know what a quality strop is like. Am back to shaving again.

Top Bottom